Home General Discussion

Your dream technological idea

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
TheAxiom polycounter lvl 3
If you could wish any kind of technological product in to existence, what would it be? If you have 2D or 3D concepts then even better.
No judgement, no drama, just creative people sharing creative ideas.

My ideas...

An augmented reality headset

I constantly dream of a sleek pair of glasses that replace TV's, computers, video games, movies and phones. All of the software is in a box in your house and your headset connects to the device via cloud and allows you to access a variety of apps and view them in 3D space through stereoscopic screens in the glass.

There's a small Kinect-like sensor built in that recognises your hand movements, so you can select a TV app, it appears as any kind of 3D mesh you could imagine, you drag your fingers across it's virtual corners to make a screen as big as you can imagine, then you can pin it to different walls in your house, so wherever you go you can keep watching your show/movie. Even on the toilet. ;)

It would combing the real world with the virtual, making them one and the same. Imagine a Pok

Replies

• StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    A Teleporter. - So many places to see... such a long time to get there.
    Too much of our daily lives are wasted on trying to get from one place to another as well
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Teleporter. - So many places to see... such a long time to get there.

How do you imagine it working?

If it's anything like Star Trek, there would be a lot of philosophical problems with it basically 'killing' you as it erases you from existence then recreates you again from virtual data.

We would need technology that could create a perfect 3D scan of your entire being, including every quintic fibre of your brain then turn in it to a digital mesh. Lol. :P

Maybe wormholes instead? Could they account for the planet's rotational spin?
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure. If I could wormhole to Bali on my lunch break. Surf a few breaks. Then, head back to the daily grind.. I'd be a happy camper.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    I wouldn't really call this my idea, but it's an idea that intrigues me the most that is relevant to the 3D/2D creation process.

In some sense it's combining both of your ideas. Having a virtual reality that is virtually identical to the real world in terms of believability. So in a sense you would be time traveling or teleporting but virtually. If the experience "feels" identical then it would do the trick for me!

I would love to virtually experience sculpting with my hands near a beautiful waterfall at some exotic location.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Dreamcast 2.

Dream/imagination amplifier, I could get lost inside my a world of my imagination.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    A texture scanner like Quixel's megascanner.

But it is much more portable, has the same features and can do awesome things such as remove all the things that you did not want and make it tileable.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Energy Forcefield or some kind of Barrier technology.
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad wrote: »
    I wouldn't really call this my idea, but it's an idea that intrigues me the most that is relevant to the 3D/2D creation process.

In some sense it's combining both of your ideas. Having a virtual reality that is virtually identical to the real world in terms of believability. So in a sense you would be time traveling or teleporting but virtually. If the experience "feels" identical then it would do the trick for me!

I would love to virtually experience sculpting with my hands near a beautiful waterfall at some exotic location.

Yeah I love that idea too. Luckily with all the virtual reality headsets that are in the making, it won't be long.

There are even '4D' movies in the making where the entire film happens around you in virtual reality and you can theoretically live inside it and experience the movie differently every time you watch it.

Heavy Rain really dug these ideas inside my brain with the FBI agent who would change his environment to his will. I love the idea of entering a beautiful bamboo forest in the rain as I do my work in peace away from the crowds of the subway or my university. All the tools I could need would be in that world.

Also laser quest would be epic too with augmented reality. In the real world you just have blank props and the glasses fill everything in for you to make it seem as though the world goes on forever. [Load mars_level_02]
  • phixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phixel polycounter lvl 7
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phixel wrote: »
    Holodeck!

Clarify. What would you like to use it for? (:
    So many possibilities.
  • phixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phixel polycounter lvl 7
    I didn't expand on Holodeck because there are just too many applications where that technology could be used.

It's like several steps after VR. Projecting objects holographically into physical space and simulating their mass and tangibility. Obviously the way it is used in Star Trek would be super cool, though I'm still not clear on how they can project entire worlds yet keep the user from constantly running into the the walls of the room that everything is being projected into... Perhaps it works in tandem with transporter tech, seamlessly keeping the user in the "physical room" while maintaining a consistent representation of the projected surrounding environment.

Anyway, that would be a completely immersive way of using that tech. It could also perhaps be condensed into smaller projectors for portability to project a limited number of objects for any number of applications/uses.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    - True 3d sound through headphones with reverb, echos, sound reflections, etc.
    - VR gloves with tactile feedback that show up on the display.
    - Being able to focus your eyes in 3d with VR.

- Handheld PBR/material information scanner
    - Better fully dynamic lighting, (even better would be an engine with with day and night system, a full weather system, correct time of year and latitude/longitude with correct star map).
    - Better destructibility
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshPotato wrote: »
    Half Life 3.

Hahaha
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Functional fusion reactors or a future power source along those lines as its the gateway to tons of other technological jumps forward (faster, longer space travel for example). Also it solves any long term global energy problems.
  • TheAxiom
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    A "do-over" button connected to a time machine that only allows one trip and one date.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    If I keep pressing the "swtich screen" button on my wacom pen, eventually it will switch to my sketchbook, then to the postit notes on my desk, then the pad of paper over there...
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Holodeck
    Replicator
    Time travel device of some description.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    Gene splicing and bionic augmentation plez.

My Chest can hold a Cintiq and charge it? Awesome.

I improve my eyesight and hand eye coordination through gene splicing? Super awesome.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    - Aging slower (live longer and experience more things)
    - A Machine that creates or duplicates images from your mind for art(instead of working with your hands you create with your imagination)
    - Teleporter would make live much easier, and scarier if other people are teleporting around and you both teleport to the same location at the same time. (2 things cant occupy the same space)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    - Teleporter would make live much easier, and scarier if other people are teleporting around and you both teleport to the same location at the same time. (2 things cant occupy the same space)

brundle.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Leinad wrote: »

This!
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    phixel wrote: »
    Perhaps it works in tandem with transporter tech...
    They've confirmed that it does, actually. I've been rewatching all of TNG with my daughter (even season 1, with the painfully beardless Riker) and they talk about it relying on the same technology as the transporters and the replicators.

I absolutely want a holodeck myself. Of course, that's a little cheap since it means the replicator has to exist too, and a post-scarcity existence is a bit more important... but this way I get both.
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still waiting for an awesome self driving car that doesn't look like something from Teletubbies. :P
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I want to know why anybody would not want to drive a car. Same thing with that soylent shake. Why would you not want to eat?
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If a car could be put on auto-mode, that sure would help cut down on the drinking & driving incidents.

Catch a couple ZZZzzzs on your way to work
    Read a book
    Watch some Tv
    Work on a sketch

This could have numerous benefits on a daily commute, where the driving isn't as enjoyable as say ripping up the twisties on a back mountain road.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Holodeck, tranporters, replicators? People, you are not seeing the bigger picture. Just make me the damn Enterprise/Voyager. It comes with all of that. :P
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow wrote: »
    I want to know why anybody would not want to drive a car. Same thing with that soylent shake. Why would you not want to eat?

I have yet to find a reason why I need to learn to drive. In this day and age it's far cheaper, more energy efficient and far cleaner for the planet just to take trains and buses everywhere. My bicycle takes me anywhere within a few miles for free as well, with bonus muscle definition. ;)

I can understand if you lived in America how driving would be important, but in England there is affordable public transport everywhere to every place.

That sense of freedom you get from being able to drive you can get from self driving cars too, except you would only be missing out on the combination of skills required to control the vehicle yourself. I am willing to not learn those things, I don't think they are very safe at all anyway.

Imagine the vehicle being a pod of one sided glass with wheels. The glass allows touch screen visuals, allowing you to play games, watch movies and plot your destination easily. It could even highlight landmarks or objects outside the window and give you information on them. It would allow for a far more pleasurable/educational/brain enhancing experience.

Like this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rlTrdF5Cs"]CES - Samsung's Smart Window - YouTube[/ame]
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Except driving is too damn fun to not drive.
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow wrote: »
    Except driving is too damn fun to not drive.

I think humans are too independent thinking and unpredictable to be allowed to drive. :P Self driving cars will make the world a far safer and cleaner place, so you might have to learn to fly a plane instead or something if you want that rush. Haha. At least in this future of mine. ;)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    This threads got me thinking. So here's another question:

Whats the most advanced technology ever thought of in any form?

In books, film, art, theoretical literature, etc. Whats considered to be the most advanced tech that the human mind could think up? Light travel, holodecks, light sabers, etc. At some point these things weren't even dreamed of. Things like TV and radio were once unbelieveable tech. There are things that we still have to dream up. I just wonder what is considered to be todays pinacle of the imagination in terms of a technical achievement.

Any thoughts? There are things that my mind cant even comprehen, like the vastness of the universe of the temperatures inside a star or why people eat cucumber...

My suggestion: It'll be something to do with dark matter, Dark matter engines or something.
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    This threads got me thinking. So here's another question:

Whats the most advanced technology ever thought of in any form?

My philosophical answer, in my mind, is the universe it's self. Technological machines are man made creations of material and are not limited to scraps of metal and wires, yet man is in sense a machine of the universe as we were manufactured by it, so one can say that if the universe is a bi-product of it's self then it is a machine. That being the most advanced piece of technology I can think of; the collection of material that makes up us and everything we know.

If I wish to take a step back and assume that technology has to be made by man, then I would say a robot that is recognized by evolution, meaning it's able to independently replicate and learn by it's self. This would mean that mankind has reached their full potential and created a life form that surpasses their own. I believe this technology is all superior as anything else man made after that would not revel in comparison, unless it was made by the new life form it's self as it has replaced us, the creators of technology.
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going with somewhat believable tech here..but it's probably gonna be messy because there's so much I wanna see.

-Multi material 3d printers..as in being able to print electronics and stuff.
    -An extremely powerful telescope so we can get detailed views of other planets etc
    -Mature VR along with a 3d scanned earth for exploring. They need to start mapping everything with drones already.
    -Powerful Computing where anything can be handled without delay.
    -Mature futuristic materials, carbon nanotubes, graphite etc to build space elevators, artificial muscles for robotics and exoskeletons etc.
    -Robotics...I want a robot pet that could be mistaken for a real living animal. Or a mount instead of a car...like riding around on a huge wild boar or something.
    -True AI, a mind with almost endless potential and knowledge...should be helpful.
    -Uploading minds into digital form..one way of becoming "immortal" if your body fails.
    -Stop/reverse aging
    -powerful but tiny batteries/energy sources..might allow for lightsabers and jet-packs and such.
    etc etc
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Octo: You're actually very close to a number of these. 3d printers should be there fairly soon -- they're still in the early stages of expansion (the only one I've seen in action is printing food), but that will accelerate once it has good momentum. Artificial muscles are iffy since it's incredibly hard to wire human nerves correctly, but exoskeletons already exist; they're mostly being developed in Japan right now and are currently in testing as alternatives to wheelchairs for people who don't have enough strength to move their legs without it. Battery tech has progressed at an astonishing rate so far, and while it's slowed a bit I would still expect to see the level you're talking about in my lifetime. Drone-based scanning has started, but I don't think there'll be 3d scans quite yet. That tech needs to catch up a bit to be useful at that scale. There are also some areas that may not be mapped, usually because of either the climate or the inhabitants.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Cell phone which would allow me to communicate with other interstellar civilizations...:poly115:
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    Multi-verse transporter: probably the only safe way to teleport/dimension jump without deconstructing/killing yourself. instead deconstruct the universe around you to desired effect, google-esque searching of universes for you to inhabit via small mobile device... etc etc.

once you go past the obvious of flexible chip based technology & printing (as well as VR and space exploration or rather pilfering, if the idea of capturing asteroids takes form) you can imagine anything. I'd much rather see some more practical ideas of technology , than new imaginations that are years out of reach or understanding.

things like:
    * fabric that generates power, so you can charge your phone/a device by walking/motion.
    * Pollinating drones, small automated drones that act like bees collecting and distributing pollen around fields/crops (since bee numbers are reducing)
    * photosynthesizing clouds, skybound clouds/platforms of plants/drones that photosynthesize, reducing Co2/Co levels and creating energy & oxygen. almost like sky vacuum cleaners, float them above your city to reduce pollution.

*GM/synthesized algae, used to farm power and reduce pollution in the sea.

etc etc etc.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    This is actually in theory doable, albeit being on the scale of mass communication may be unfeasible.

A Quantum Network. Based around the idea of a particle being at two places at once... anywhere in the Universe.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    ivanzu wrote: »
    Cell phone which would allow me to communicate with other interstellar civilizations...:poly115:

An ansible!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I want a GIF tattoo. And I want someone to ask me, yeah but whats it gonna look like when you get old and the format isn't supported anymore.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I want robo legs, my legs suck
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    TheAxiom wrote: »
    My philosophical answer, in my mind, is the universe it's self. Technological machines are man made creations of material and are not limited to scraps of metal and wires, yet man is in sense a machine of the universe as we were manufactured by it, so one can say that if the universe is a bi-product of it's self then it is a machine. That being the most advanced piece of technology I can think of; the collection of material that makes up us and everything we know.

If I wish to take a step back and assume that technology has to be made by man, then I would say a robot that is recognized by evolution, meaning it's able to independently replicate and learn by it's self. This would mean that mankind has reached their full potential and created a life form that surpasses their own. I believe this technology is all superior as anything else man made after that would not revel in comparison, unless it was made by the new life form it's self as it has replaced us, the creators of technology.

Speaking of the universe, I just had a further thought.

I suppose the most advanced thing my mind can muster up. Being able to create universe'. Harnessing the power to create a "Big Bang". Might be do-able one day, in fact I expect someone has already got a theory as to how to do it based on our current understanding of science. I expect that person works at Cern...probably

Also, creating something that could stop the death of this universe or something that would allow humans (or other life form) to continue after the death of this universe.

anyhoo, my mind baffles thinking about such things.
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Speaking of the universe, I just had a further thought.

I suppose the most advanced thing my mind can muster up. Being able to create universe'. Harnessing the power to create a "Big Bang". Might be do-able one day, in fact I expect someone has already got a theory as to how to do it based on our current understanding of science. I expect that person works at Cern...probably

Also, creating something that could stop the death of this universe or something that would allow humans (or other life form) to continue after the death of this universe.

anyhoo, my mind baffles thinking about such things.

Yeah very interesting. It might be possible to make a mini-universe for observation purposes, but it would be like bacteria creating a human being from only material available to it. It's far too dangerous anyhow. Where would you fit it! Lol.