Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Armored Vehicle

Working on a armored vehicle, the kind you might see in the film Death Race or if Batman stopped giving a fuck and started killing the bad guys instead. Taking inspiration from this but I'm not aiming to straight up copy it:

20gn5d.jpg

Progress so far. Wheels are placeholder pieces obviously.

2432pzp.png

C&C would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• Rawbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    Haven't I seen this before ?
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was posted over in the what are you working on thread but I thought if I could post all my progress stuff together then it'd be a bit neater for me :)
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is what it looks like atm.

30tjvrm.png

The main part of the car I believe is more or less done, I'll just need to go over and add/remove details so that it isn't just a symmetrical model. Oh and add a big-ass gun or two.

I've also thrown it on Sketchfab in the hopes that you guys might be able to have a real look at it and give me some pointers on some bad areas of topology, in particular above the rear wheels.

https://sketchfab.com/models/7f61f244c774469aac0a62ebee28a8b6

There is still no underbelly on it as I forgot to add that in and the wheels are still just placeholders.
  • neilberard
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Way too many edgeloops on the body, especially the wheel wells.
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'll be removing the ones going across the bonnet and various other across the main body but thats the only way I've been able to get the smoothness I wanted on the wheel wells
  • SimonAlbon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's one of the problems I face when vehicle modelling. To achieve quad topology I use swift loop in 3DS Max, but unless the mesh is built from different parts, you end up with edge loops all over the place, becomes very difficult to manage as well as messy and high poly in all the wrong places, I'll be watching this thread closely to see what people's solutions are to this.
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    First of all, you can remove this edgeloop. It does nothing for the geometry.
    vu6frDD.jpg

Second, by capping the wheel cylinder like this you can continue to model the it way more easier, and faster for that matter.
    78ZumZk.png
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Also, think about how stuff is made up in real life. It's very rare, even for vehicles that the whole body is just one solid piece. Take a humvee like this one for example:

dslp_1005_02%2Bdiesel_power%2Bmay_2010_postal_route%2Bhummer_humvee.jpg

Lots of different plates and stuff welded together. Hard surface modeling is difficult as it is, no need to make it even more so by trying to make crazy shapes as one solid piece with edge loops running everywhere. You will save youself a lot of headache by just thinking "does this really look like it's made from ONE piece?" if its not, just make it seperate, will make stuff sooo much easier :) Good luck!

For the high poly that is, for the low poly you usually want to keep a lot more as one solid mesh.
  • simmou23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wish you best luck ?
    why not use zbrush directly ?
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would it be worth deleting everything in front of the windshield and redo-ing it in sections rather than as part of one mesh and cut right down on the loops? I'd probably do the same for the back too. I kinda like the way the rest of it has come together though. Thanks for all the feedback, it's really helping :)
  • SimonAlbon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BBFirefly wrote: »
    Would it be worth deleting everything in front of the windshield and redo-ing it in sections rather than as part of one mesh and cut right down on the loops? I'd probably do the same for the back too. I kinda like the way the rest of it has come together though. Thanks for all the feedback, it's really helping :)

It would probably make your mesh more manageable, like others have said, building something like this in 3D should be built as it is in the real world, different parts = different models, then you can attach/combine them to just have one model where (in 3DS Max) only 1 modifier stack would be needed.

I have a question for the peeps on here however, if we look at the HUMVEE that has been pictured, or any vehicle for that matter, how would one create the seamlines between panels, such as the gap between the body and the doors for example. I can see extruding the mesh being quite messy and needlessly expensive. (I would post this in my own thread but I'm not allowed to create one yet).
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question for the peeps on here however, if we look at the HUMVEE that has been pictured, or any vehicle for that matter, how would one create the seamlines between panels, such as the gap between the body and the doors for example. I can see extruding the mesh being quite messy and needlessly expensive. (I would post this in my own thread but I'm not allowed to create one yet).

That was one of my reasons for doing the doors etc. the way I did - shaped the bottom panel, then Inset and Bevel to get the secondary panels - because I didn't see a cleaner way of doing it.
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    Hey! I was thinking about uploading this today and then I saw your post. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2084372#post2084372

I hope this helps. :)
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They look like I could have used them a week or so ago :D I'll definitely keep those in mind when I get round to redoing parts though, thanks.
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've said it before and I'll probably say it again before long, but I do think the base model is more or less done - minus making it asymmetrical. The poly count can probably be trimmed down some but not enough for me to be too bothered by it anymore seeing as I'm starting to get sick of this thing now. Any last pointers or critiques before I move on?

23u97jc.png

Placed correctly

wwhf6d.png
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those images AREN'T the most up to date ones. I did an oopsie and uploaded the wrong ones. The polys are a fair bit tidier on my current version but I'm not on my PC now to upload the right ones.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    The interesting thing in the concept is the different shapes all over, if you just make the side, the top, the front, the engine cover and so on flat planes where nothing really happens it will look very bad.. like a bad car design

Nail the shapes with basic primitives (and keep them separate for ease of work) before you go on.
    Right now you seem to be fighting with topology, when you should just focus on getting the blockout right.

just my opinion, keep working on it! it's a very cool concept
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got out of bed, here are the correct images. Tidied up the edges and loops. The wheels still have the symmetry loop and there are a few edges that got cut in in the export.

23iccgn.png
    5o9j4h.png
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm good to go texturing finally. The gun is a bit different in the vehicle shot than it is in the gun only shot - the gun only shot being the ACTUAL one (actually has 2 handles and cut the polys down some).

Any pointers or critiques?

t1cceyn.jpgteRAj8V.jpg

I think I might try and do a bit more with the gun mount.
    VnWDXUl.jpgLZXWO6D.jpg
  • BBFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basic colour blockout. Not happy with the wheels yet but the rest looks okay to me. Going hella slowly because as soon as it gets to texturing, I lose all interest.

ZQRFfMw.jpg