Home General Discussion

Battlefield: Hardline

Happy to finally talk about what myself and a few other Polycounters here at Visceral and DICE have been working on. :)

I know it's different from the traditional Battlefield title, but I think fans will be happy. Check it out!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1GlZS-t7c"]Battlefield Hardline: 6 Minutes of Multiplayer Gameplay - YouTube[/ame]

Dz1UvRZ.jpg
oM6jo5i.jpg
kwOLtZy.jpg
jgOywji.jpg
uOat4GT.jpg
ldiOpod.jpg
fKZtDeS.jpg
TqDFO6i.jpg
5aGsib6.jpg

We also have a closed beta running, first come, first serve!

http://www.battlefield.com/hardline/beta

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game looks badass! Can't wait to play it :D
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    So battlefield payday ?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So battlefield payday ?

What is the point of this comment?
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Looks great, I passed on BF4 since I had no money at the time but I'll definitely consider picking this one up. I'm glad it will be different with the cops and robbers theme, I think that could make for some really fun experiences with friends.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

He was too late to say "FIRST POST!"
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Pretty impressive, are the beta invites instant or did they run out already?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Heist mechanics/gameplay seem to be really popular, Payday and GTAV had those mechanics.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9

Pretty self explanatory ? The game is Battlefield and using the mechanics of the game Payday ? Want to make sure i understood the game premise correctly
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Haha, wow that seems fun. Kind of like the Cops and Robbers I always wanted GTA to feel like?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    are the beta invites instant or did they run out already?
    The confirmation is pretty quick, getting the game to show up in your library takes a few minutes of waiting.
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    Pretty self explanatory ? The game is Battlefield and using the mechanics of the game Payday ? Want to make sure i understood the game premise correctly

it sounds pretty dismissive to sum up an entire game with a clever two-word comparison tbh... there's a pretty-much-open beta going on right now, so you can try it out if you really want to understand the game correctly
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    FFFFFUUUUUUUUU!!!!
    8vzNwDW.png
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    cryrid wrote: »
    The confirmation is pretty quick, getting the game to show up in your library takes a few minutes of waiting.

I signed up about an hour ago, no email and nothing in my library.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    took a while but I finally was able to sign up for the PC beta. looks super fun!
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    remember when mod's were made by the community and not studios? :)

oh well, guess this is fine as well
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Kind of reminds me of Counter Strike, but HUGE. Definitely looks fun :).
    I just wish they would get rid of the browser based launcher, I hate it soo much.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    VPrime wrote: »
    I just wish they would get rid of the browser based launcher, I hate it soo much.

This. Browser based launching is an abomination.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    ...I actually liked battelog when I played bf3. Although it did have some annoyances.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it as an optional feature - like how UT2004 mod sites would list currently running servers and you could just click the link to join, download the mod, and play. I also like having a server browser I can use in game - for when the server you've joined turns out to be full of morons or idlers / lags like hell / any other game breaking experience, and you want to quickly jump to a new one. Not having that is really, really annoying :(
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    Great post Sean!
    It's exciting being a part of the Visceral team and working with DICE.

I've been a battlefield player since 1942. Played mostly in DC final, BFBC2, Battlefield 3 and 4. I gotta say, Hardline is just as wonderful as the rest. The gameplay is just as sweet and I still can't believe how good the game looks.
    Just look at those shots!
    I hope whoever plays it, enjoys it. I know I sure as hell do.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    looks very cool sean. art and rendering look awesome.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    The similarities with Payday and other Games are there... but this game is really looking fantastic.

I was expecting another Dead Space... T.T something more "visceral", you know.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Anyone been playing the beta? I kinda enjoyed it when I was playing with my mate, but it seemed just like a re-skin of Battlefield 4. Hope they aren't gonna charge £40/50 for this thing.

One thing that really took me out of the experience was the sheer amount of carnage... It's meant to be cops vs robbers, but it plays exactly the same as Battlefield... Imagine if this happened in a real city, it would be absolute carnage. I wish it was a bit slower paced.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I know people are tired of hearing it's a reskin, or a DLC, but that's honestly how I feel. But what's worse is, it still has all the BF4 issues. Beta or not, it's been over 7 months, and BF4 still isn't fixed. I'm not sure how someone can suggest these issues will be gone by the time this game is released.

That aside though, the game just feels clumsy to me. Some things can be tweaked, before the release, but it's just too much to overcome, to sell me on it.

And, in reference to my first paragraph, this was my experiences, on the PS4:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEv0leRGXGw"]Why Hardline Sucks (twitch clip) - YouTube[/ame]
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me more of a polished "all points bulletin" than payday though.
    i'd wager there's no stealth phase in this one, where you try to commit the heist without raising an alarm.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    And, in reference to my first paragraph, this was my experiences, on the PS4:
    Why Hardline Sucks (twitch clip) - YouTube

"why is the screen shaking?"
    there's a building collapsing.
    "why is it taking them one shot to kill me, while i empty a whole magazine with nothing happending?"
    because you're shooting at their feet you numbskull.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know why it's shaking... the crane is falling, on the other side of the world. You can see it way off in the distance. It also shakes you, if you're flying in a helicopter (I guess air shakes now too). And to be honest, I know that DICE has already been reducing that shake in BF4, but it was never that bad, unless you were right next to the levolution.

And shots hit him in the mid section, and yes feet, because he was jumping. Admittedly, I was getting pretty irritated at the game, at that point. That was my 4th match in. I mean, are you going to suggest I was wrong in the rest of the video?

The thing is, the hit detection/network sync is SO broken in this engine, that it makes me want nothing to do with anything DICE releases on it. Which is what concerns me about Battlefront. That goes beyond myself. There are many guys in my clan, that are very discouraged after playing this beta, and the current state of BF4.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So my Origin account got hacked by some Russian guy so unfortunately I wasn't able to try it out earlier but I'm actually liking the game a lot now that I have my account back. I'm not too sure what issues plagued BF4 because I skipped over that release (not a huge fan of vehicle gameplay to be honest) but the game feels really smooth to me.

There have been some times where movement has felt "sluggish" due to me somehow getting stuck inside of a floor or something of the sort, and it is really annoying when you have teammates standing in stupid spots that block your movement. I kind of wish you could clip through people on your team like in certain servers on Counter-Strike as that would prevent dying due to somebody not realizing they are blocking you.

I love the gunplay in the game, for the most part. Sniping seems a bit strange, I only played with a sniper rifle for a single round but there was a guy driving an armored truck that stopped and I stood there shooting his head through the window several times but he wasn't getting hurt indicating that you can't headshot people through vehicles (at least that particular truck.)

Again, I haven't played BF4 so I'm not sure if that is intentional or not, but I know in BF3 it was quite enjoyable and it was basically the only way for non-engineers to fight back against vehicles.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played the beta for a while, and generally speaking I'm not a fan - the game is certainly playable, but it's pretty flawed and it doesn't feel very satisfying to me to play. Player movement outside of vehicles felt really sluggish and awkward. I frequently found I couldn't hop over objects that looked like I should have been able to (like a car bonnet), or got stuck not mantling over them properly.

Something feels very wrong with the weapons - I'm using a semi-auto sniper rifle that supposedly does 60 damage, but I need to land about six shots in order to take someone down, whereas I'm getting one-hit killed by SMGs from reasonably large distances. I don't know if this is something to do with the netcode or something, because I'm not missing my targets that I'm aware of, and I'm generally hitting them square in the chest.

The real issue is the size of the game and the number of vehicles (as well as how the vehicles are implemented). In both games modes it only takes three organised players on a team to ensure a round only lasts a few minutes. I played one round of Heist that lasted about a minute and a half - I didn't even get to fire a shot before the match was over - the criminals rushed the objectives immediately, loaded them into a helicopter and that was game over. Similar issues occur in Blood Money, where if you get some organised people raiding the opponent loot drop, the game can be over almost instantly since it takes no time at all to traverse the map and all the risk is fairly low since there's no ticketing system like other the predecessors. The armoured car is also ridiculously OP, since the driver can operate both a mounted machine gun and a rapid firing grenade launcher, but is impervious to damage (can't shoot through the windscreen with the sniper rifle, as an example).
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah looks like a pretty cool battlefield mod :)
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Heist is so far a lot of fun, but the size of the map is horrid. I can see it doing well if it's a long stretched out linear/open'ish map. Like others said though, rounds end too often and too quickly!

The game is very much a BF4 re-skinned with lesser quality character art and again like the fans mentioned. Less user-destructibility. Which is a major blow. Stating this game will be $60-80.00 is a rip off to be quite frank. It should be no higher than $30.00. The brightest approach I would rather see DICE negotiate with EA... Is to sell people the multiplayer at an affordable price as a separate package and SP as another. As I personally have no interest in playing the single-player portion of this game.

Only gripe or disappointment ATM in mp design. Is the grappling hook. To know you cannot shoot the grappling hook at any fair high height and risk the climb. It's all per-determined. That just downright sucks. This is a major step backwards from BF2 special forces expansion. The zip-line I suppose does well in comparison.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I really enjoyed playing the new modes but this just feels like a mod and i know there is a single player campaign which hopefully is great but man i hope this is not a 60 dollar product.

Games looks ace though congrats to the polycounters that are working on it :)
  • Frigoff_Rick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noooooo. Dice is falling into the CoD yearly reskin cash grabs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hFBq77N5iM"]The Hard Truth About ? Battlefield: Hardline - YouTube[/ame]
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Well amazon germany lists it for 60 Euro (which is 81 Dollar). Yeah didn't enjoy it much...felt like Battlefield just without the insanity of 64 player just wailing with tanks and planes on each other.

For that money i can get the whole BF4 package with all DLC...if they ever fix the game which i think i would enjoy more to be quite frank.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/24/5837722/battlefield-hardline-ea-dice-broken

*Sigh*. "THE DAYS OF FREE CONTENT ARE LONG GONE"

People don't seem to realize how much time and effort goes into making news maps/additional content for games these days. Why would it all be given away for free?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15

People don't seem to realize how much time and effort goes into making news maps/additional content for games these days. Why would it all be given away for free?

Well, mods WAS free back in the days, when they didn't cockblock modding. ;)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I think many people understand that there is work/effort/cost behind it. There always has been. The problem is how Patrick Bach ran his mouth, and stated that they would never charge for maps. When you make a statement like that, the community expects you to stick to your word. This has been an ongoing complaint since BF3, and honestly, I'm surprised people still even bother referencing it. That statement was a mistake... time for people to move on.

That being said, how much does it cost to make weapons unlockable? Charging people $15 to unlock weapons, that they can get for free, once they've put in enough time, is criminal IMO. I know that's an EA decision, and not DICE. I'm just pointing out that no labor goes into that, but there seems to be as much passion over how the consumer is nickle and dimed.

Honestly, I called it earlier, that BF4 may have been such a clusterfuck, that it may be the tipping point, where consumers have enough. I don't mean any ill will toward anyone on the project, but I honestly hope Hardline doesn't do well, so that maybe it will send a message to EA. On the flip side, I don't want it to lead to layoffs, for the artists involved, because honestly, that's the only thing that made BF4 tolerable. It's amazing to look at, but the code, and source control, is horrendous.
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    McGreed wrote: »
    Well, mods WAS free back in the days, when they didn't cockblock modding. ;)

you couldn't sell mods due to licensing issues that came with building on top of someone else's game - that doesn't mean it was a good thing though, or the way it's supposed to be, like in the good ol' days ;)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I miss modding on new games :(
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Honestly, I called it earlier, that BF4 may have been such a clusterfuck, that it may be the tipping point, where consumers have enough. I don't mean any ill will toward anyone on the project, but I honestly hope Hardline doesn't do well, so that maybe it will send a message to EA. On the flip side, I don't want it to lead to layoffs, for the artists involved, because honestly, that's the only thing that made BF4 tolerable. It's amazing to look at, but the code, and source control, is horrendous.

Well said, I completely agree with everything. Watching that truth about bf hardline really does put a nail in the forehead about it all. To know Frostbite may be difficult to Mod and to use. Well... That never stopped anyone from using BF1942 and BF2 mod tools that were janky as all hell. Good stuff came from them. Like Project Reality and gangwars(?) if that's the name and obviously Desert Combat.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a crazy idea, how about people stop jumping to the "it's just a mod" and "not enough content" conclusion when we've only showed one map and two game modes in an early beta 5 months before release :)

I'm a Battlefield fan myself, as are a lot of the developers working on Hardline, and I can say that we have a lot of good stuff to show in the near future.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe they shouldn't reuse so many elements, from BF4, that have reason being in an urban environment, between cops and robbers. What police force uses rpgs? What police helicopter has missiles? The quality just isn't there either (at the moment). That's why people keep calling it a DLC/mod.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I'm in the beta (because i bought bf4 on the very first day of preorder...), and meh, i don't download such bad game, nor being free (ubi has ghost recon online).

They are asking 70€ for a fucking PC game that should be free to play (remember: ninjas play for free, Warframe!). The price is a RIP OFF in all the senses, and they are threating their customers like idiots. And the worse, they add battle packs... to unlock weapons and more ingame content?

This should have been a free mod/DLC for the ultra buggy BF4 (that they still need to fix... pathetic).
  • KeithC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeithC polycounter lvl 7
    I like it pretty well; but the same issues are present, such as the "net code" issues (getting shot and killed after taking cover). BF4 isn't close to stable enough for many players, and we're already moving on to a "new" game now? Not sure about this one, and I definitely won't be paying full price for it...if it's the standard $60. I think I'll wait for the next COD tbh.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm probably in the extreme minority here but I guess I'm the only person who is enjoying this game as much as BC2. BF3 was a huge disappointment to me when it came out because many gameplay mechanics were stripped away to make the game more accessible. I skipped BF4 because even though it looks more polished than BF3, it suffers from the same problems with the core mechanics, while at the same time it is advertised as a "true" Battlefield game.

Hardline is different though, rather than trying to provide a traditional BF experience, the devs have decided to try and make something new, and I think they did a great job in that regard. I can see why people would think the game is DLC but the game is fun and I haven't experienced anything that has prevented me from playing as opposed to the BF4 beta which crashed before I could ever finish a single match.

It's just a matter of assessing the value you'd get from the game, like any other game. While I love this game and have had nothing but fun in the beta, I'm probably going to have to pass it up since it comes out the same day as The Evil Within which has been one of the top games on my list for over a year now. I'll definitely pick it up some time after launch, though.

Also, I'd have to disagree a lot with that Bluedrake video. Purchasing every DLC for a game isn't required, purchasing a new game to "play with your friends" is stupid, and Hardline is a lot more than a few new textures and models. People seem to look at the art of a game and think that's all there is to it but I guarantee if you ask any of the talented programmers on the development team they'll tell you otherwise. It'd be great if there were no consequences to delaying a game to fix problems but unfortunately that's not the reality we live in.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro wrote: »
    I'm probably in the extreme minority here but I guess I'm the only person who is enjoying this game as much as BC2. BF3 was a huge disappointment to me when it came out because many gameplay mechanics were stripped away to make the game more accessible. I skipped BF4 because even though it looks more polished than BF3, it suffers from the same problems with the core mechanics, while at the same time it is advertised as a "true" Battlefield game.

Hardline is different though, rather than trying to provide a traditional BF experience, the devs have decided to try and make something new, and I think they did a great job in that regard. I can see why people would think the game is DLC but the game is fun and I haven't experienced anything that has prevented me from playing as opposed to the BF4 beta which crashed before I could ever finish a single match.

It's just a matter of assessing the value you'd get from the game, like any other game. While I love this game and have had nothing but fun in the beta, I'm probably going to have to pass it up since it comes out the same day as The Evil Within which has been one of the top games on my list for over a year now. I'll definitely pick it up some time after launch, though.

Also, I'd have to disagree a lot with that Bluedrake video. Purchasing every DLC for a game isn't required, purchasing a new game to "play with your friends" is stupid, and Hardline is a lot more than a few new textures and models. People seem to look at the art of a game and think that's all there is to it but I guarantee if you ask any of the talented programmers on the development team they'll tell you otherwise. It'd be great if there were no consequences to delaying a game to fix problems but unfortunately that's not the reality we live in.
    To reply firstly, the game is fun. Or I have had fun playing it, no doubt. But where you do stand. Yes, you are the minority for sure. You haven't paid for BF3 or BF4. I myself stand opposite to you in this regard. So what all in all you have happening is feeling of drought from missing 2 large titles already. Needing to feel "where does my wait come to an end and I fork over my $60.00 on a new battlefield title?" I'm sure Hardline has you reeled in, in this regard.

To your last point made about the bluedrake video. Purchasing DLC is required, and to not be an owner of a recent BF franchise where this has now begun to happen for cash grabs from EA. Is where we existing customers can see that there really is now a pink elephant in the room. And it needs to get out.

Overall, the premise of BF Hardline isn't horrible. But yes, the effort to make this game from a mod team's stance by converting a BF game. Isn't that difficult. Just referring to the content and basic reprogramming of the games rules and functions. It's not very different by a long shot. The only hard thing to reconsider going on that gives the game a new look, is the UI (gameplay = zip-line and grappling hook). So at the end of the day, it's a BF game with modded game rules, new character models. Possibly rehashed weapon assets with some new pieces added and stripped from. As new maps are common as with any "new" game.

But I've been a PC gamer long enough to know when you go public with a BETA. It's really what you are going to get overall. So I am reluctant to fork over $60-80.00 of my money for a product that really could have been a BF4 expansion that steers a new theme for $30.00. I can't give remarks to the SP campaign, but as a long time BF player. It's the multiplayer that counts. If Bad Company 2 destruction was back in + the whole gimmicky "levelution" they've got going. I would happily pay $60.00 because that's a good amount of work and it would make hardline extremely different than BF3, & 4.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I worded my post incorrectly but I did purchase BF3, along with Premium, I only skipped BF4. I'm not sure if the DLC for BF4 is any different, but it was pretty awful in BF3.

The weapon packs for example, while nice (since new weapons can always be enjoyable) are not at all necessary, especially considering the starter rifle for the Assault kit is completely overpowered and probably the best weapon in the game for most engagements. I've spent probably no longer than 3-4 hours across ALL of the DLC maps because many of them fail to deliver an experience that Battlefield is known for (CQC DLC for example, was not necessary. Most of the remakes did not play well with the new mechanics of the game too.) It's nice to have the option to have more content to play with but it's basically like buying map packs for CoD games, you can still enjoy the game perfectly fine without the extra stuff.

I'd love for every PC game to have full map and mod tools, but unfortunately as DLC becomes more popular we'll end up seeing less and less of that. There's not much that can be done about it, and Battlefield is hardly the only game to lose content creation tools in recent years. Betas seem to vary a lot in modern times, I suppose as beta testing becomes more open to users, it would make sense to turn a "beta" into a less polished demo to prevent users from associating negative thoughts with a studio's unfinished project.

Admittedly, I was quite disappointed when I played the BF3 Alpha since it looked like shit, ran like shit, and the map(Operation Metro) was awful, but a ton of changes occurred when the game transitioned into beta and it actually became a lot more enjoyable. I'd imagine Hardline will improve a lot when it gets released but it seems like many people want a complete overhaul which probably won't happen.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    that video was amazing

too much truth in under 2 minutes
  • KurtR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    If it works it works. I did skip over bf4 due to a lot of origin issues in bf3, but I think what Hardline is using (and re-using) seems pretty awesome. I don't like re-skins, but I like the idea of iterating on stuff that works, up until it becomes re-skinning. Hardline so far seems to be a good iteration process and not a re-skin, with a new approach to the mechanics Dice has that are really good programming skills and level design.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, he clear exaggerates in the video, because Premium was $60. The DLCs are $75, if you buy them independently.
    NegevPro was correct, that you are not REQUIRED to buy Premium, but if you don't, then you end up feeling like an ass, when your friends have to stop playing new maps, just to join you. I've seen it, with friends that couldn't afford Premium. We go back to the vanilla maps, so they don't have to play alone, and then that person feels bad.

NegevPro, I'm curious what you felt was 'off' about BF3's mechanics. I thought that BF3 was pretty spot on. It's the first Battlefield game I've owned, and I was sucked it. I was disappointed in the netcode, which eventually got ironed out (for the most part). I would also get upset at DICE tweaking all the weapons, essentially changing the game's feel, after every update.
    But overall, I was looking for a team based game, to replace my beloved Tribes series, and it filled that game. There was a lot of focus on teamwork, and attempts at balance (something else DICE is not very good at).

And for the record, everyone who skipped BF4, it actually was a lot different than BF3. The only similarities were visual, and some of the game modes. DICE went out of their way to make sure it felt different (not in a good way). But I will say, it was a good choice to skip it, because of the horrendous issues, but it is very different from BF3.