Home General Discussion

Career Choices Help

javcop
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
javcop polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys,

I'm juggling 2 choices right now and need some help in making a good decision. I've been thinking about going to a master's program for Game Art (FIEA), which is a school co-founded and run by EA. The staff have worked on AAA titles, they have a good studio environment, the curriculum/work is very rigorous at an average of 60 hours of work a week (this is a positive in my opinion), having job/internship resources with people that have connections in the industry, and you'll basically be making games for about 16 months. Only negative would be being in about $30k+ in debt after graduation.

On the other hand, I have a job offer in California (I would have to move) for a a job that is basically fixing/retopologizing models. Pay's at about $15/hr. Benefits would basically be some added income, moving to a place with more opportunities than where I currently live, and just some experience to slap on the resume.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks for any advice guys, I really do appreciate it.

Note: Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, seemed like the most suitable place.

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think it depends on a few factors here. Like, how's your financial situations at the moment. Also, how skilled are you atm. Do FIEA actually gives out job/internships to students ? Or just have them available as bait. Will you get your hands on them ? Or only the top students get them ? How stable is the Cali offer ? Is it a good company ? How long will your position last there ? Are you keen on learning more stuff by yourself via online resources ? Where will you live in Cali ? Will the pay be enough to live there ? How much does it costs there ?

At this point, I'm leaning toward Cali offer, simply before it's not -30k in my pocket, it's income + experience + etc. But I know nothing of the company. or of living cost in Cali.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I would just like to add that 15.00/hr isn't a ton in most of California (not sure where you'd be moving from)- but working in something at least semi-related while working on your portfolio and trying to land that game job isn't a terrible idea.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Having glanced over the program you mentioned, I note that it seems to be geared toward people who have little to no concept of working in a production environment. They mention someone who can model but knows nothing about rigging or lighting as an example. Is this the sort of thing you need?

As to the job: Where in California? It's a big state, and $15/hr can be a decent rate in some places and leave you somewhere that's roach-infested with drivebys (possible roach-driven drivebys) in others.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    iconoplast wrote: »
    As to the job: Where in California? It's a big state, and $15/hr can be a decent rate in some places and leave you somewhere that's roach-infested with drivebys (possible roach-driven drivebys) in others.

Eh, even in the Bay Area fifteen dollars an hour isn't that bad (assuming no dependents/major debts/expensive medical problems ect.). You'd probably have to live with a room mate, and you'd have to live outside of SF itself and commute in, but you wouldn't need to be in a terrible neighborhood.
  • javcop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javcop polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!

@Pyrzern -
    Q: Do FIEA actually gives out job/internships to students ? Or just have them available as bait. Will you get your hands on them ? Or only the top students get them ?
    A: Well I didn't ask those questions, but I assume you have to have marketable skills for them to vouch for you.

Q: How stable is the Cali offer ? Is it a good company ? How long will your position last there?
    A: Well I have a contact working for the company who has been with them for a few months. They explained it would be a year-long contract with possibility for the future.

Q: Are you keen on learning more stuff by yourself via online resources ?
    A: Yep and I've got tons of time already spent learning programs and whatnot on my own time.

Q: Where will you live in Cali ? Will the pay be enough to live there ? How much does it costs there ?
    A: It will be just outside of San Jose possibly. The friend I have there wanted to find another place so we might be roommates. I'm sure the costs/taxes are higher than where I live right now, but my friend has been doing this job and hasn't had problems.

@Brandon.LaFrance: Yep!

@iconoplast: I don't have a great deal of studio experience, but I'm mainly interested (aside from the reasons I wrote in my original post) to network with the staff and students, pick up more game-engine-related knowledge/techniques, and just make games. Don't really have any game-making experience. Also, I didn't know the roaches in Cali have developed the ability to use our vehicles and weapons. I'm now rethinking EVERYTHING I EVER KNEW
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    Ultimately it depends on your personal expenses. Being single makes things a little easier around here - but 15.00 in San Jose might as well be minimum wage. We've got one of the highest costs of living in the country here.
    I wouldn't let that be a reason you don't take the job - but don't let the "money" be a reason for you to TAKE it.
    on average a small crappy 2 bedroom apt. in San Jose will run you near/around 2000/month.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I've known several friends who attended FIEA and they all ended up getting decent jobs. Of course it depends on the work you put in, but it's no doubt a good school and a sound choice.

But if you can get a job where you will be able to learn and get relevant experience and you WON'T be going into more debt, that seems the smarted plan. Cost of living in california is pretty high though and $15/hr might be a little rough. If you're near orlando there are a lot of simulation studios where you could get a job that would give you similar experience.