Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dumpster pimpage

Dismembered
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
So after a VERY extended break I am back. This is a dumpster I modeled a long time ago. You are welcome to crit model, although the model won't change. I am trying to level up my texture skills while learning PBR and Substance Designer.(And the Quixel suite eventually) So I am mainly looking for feedback regarding the texture.

Let me know what you think and how to improve it.
Thanks.

Dumpster_preview.png

Replies

• TigerGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD polycounter lvl 9
    The paint looks kind of metallic and too glossy.
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    I really like it, but if I were to be picky, I'd say the black speckles (pinhole pockmark thingies) may be a bit too strong. Or maybe eliminate them altogether in lieu of more natural looking rust. Like this:
    1471123784_9556110c4a.jpg

Also, the new Quixel Suite beta is very simple and easy to use. Fast results too. Much easier for me to learn than Substance Designer, which I've only scratched the surface of.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TigerGD - I will adjust those values to tone the glossyness down.

@narticus - I will turn the normal map down a touch, that should help sell it a bit more. Yeah I own both (as they are both pretty cheap) so I thought I would try to learn them both. I will be using the Suite on my next project to compare which workflow I like better.

Thanks for the responses.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I have tried make the changes that everyone suggested. Here is what I came up with.

Dumpster_preview2.png
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Some more hue and value shifts in the green paint would make it pop more. Also adding a bit of sun bleach/wear to the plastic lid would help as well. Good job so far.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Not really reading as rust/dirt atm, it's looking more like it was burned. Rust color needs work. Good luck, I like the model. I love the drip stains that you have on the left side, Why not have that under the lip at the top? Wheels look brand new, I'd make em more banged up. Not seeing the little rod on the inside that hold open the lid. (at least put the bracket in there hanging down on the inside). The texture appears to be missing on the inside of the container making it look unfinished.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BARDLER - Good idea about the sun bleaching I think I can handle that.

@pixelpatron - I will definitely mess around with the hue of the rust. I actually tried putting drips there and they felt kind of gimmicky to me, but I can definitely look at adding them to other areas of the texture for sure! When I built the model a while back I noticed that not all models had that so I didn't end up putting it in this one. You're right the inside isn't really 'finished'. There is texture there but I didn't dedicate a lot of resolution to it since I am planning on putting some trash bags and boxes in and around it to kind of fill it out.