Home Contests & Challenges Archives Petrol/Blood

PETROL/BLOOD – RogelioD / SuperPants

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
For this PETROL / BLOOD competition I will be teaming up with my wonderful girlfriend Julia (SuperPants), and we will be creating a Personal Aircraft with Female Rider (and her little brother!)

The style will be grounded in Dieselpunk style but with a mash-up of certain Steampunk details and elements as well.

Here is the pinterest board we created for both the vehicle and character.

http://www.pinterest.com/juliallawrence/polycount/

Here is a screenshot of the pinterest board

KbX2EYK.png

We're still thinking about some of the backstory elements but basically Julia will be creating the Dieselpunk Chick who is around 18 years old. Her little brother is around 11 and is completely decked out with armor. He will be somewhere on the back of the aircraft. Julia will trying to target 4 weeks for each character. But, if we need to cut the little bro, it won't ruin the entry.

I'm still trying to think of some cool things to incorporate to the personal aircraft, but for the most part it will be some sort of amalgamation of the designs in our pinterest board.

We both can't wait to get started! Thanks for checking us out!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Cool! I've been thinking about doing a lady pilot as well, but can't enter due to obvious reasons. Awesome costume refs. Will be excited to see how this progresses!
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    This I do like. Since most of your past work is realistically rendered, do you think you'll go with a more stylistic texturing approach this time? For some reason the entry sounds like it'd fit in Borderlands.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake: Thanks! I know you're a judge and stuff but if you had some free time it would be AWESOME to see what you came up with just for fun. Would love to see it!

Vrav: the models might be a little exaggerated but because we're using PBR I'd like the materials to be as realistic as possible to keep in line with the Physically accurate term.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not much of a 2D artist but I took some time out to make a quick rough-sketch and VERY blocky-blockalicious-blockout of the concept for the Personal Aircraft I am working on :)

3sFbIZT.png

I might paint over the blockout just to get an even better idea of what I want, but I'm not certain. And just to reiterte one time, the blockout is SUPER blocky. Just trying to nail same shapes, positions, and forms.
  • SuperPants
    Hey there guys. =]

Here is the super early progress I'm making on my end. I would love any and ALLLL critiques on my anatomy or proportions or anything. =] Other than the hands and feet. Which I always save for last for some reason.

screenshot-2014-06-15-15-12-16.png
    screenshot-2014-06-15-15-20-35.png

I will probably also put a paint over up soon about her outfit, oh muh gurd girl you gonna look so goooood.

PS. isn't that shader gorgeous. Its from the one and only Jon Troy Nickel. It's probably my favorite ever.
  • Kip McSkipster
    Offline / Send Message
    Kip McSkipster polycounter lvl 13
    I like the idea, looking forward to it you two!
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ezra!

----

Just been re-paiting over, re-blocking out, and elaborating on the shapes and design of the craft. No geo you see here will make it into the final, this is just trying to nail the design.

NXfkCsk.png
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    good work keep going =D
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    @dudealan2001 Thanks! and thanks for the motivation;

I'm kind of struggling with having a ton ton on my plate at my work and then finding the time and inspiration to continue on this when I get home.

But I do plan on doing some work today. Got some really nice feedback on facebook about the wings, so I plan on making them A LOT shorter to increase maneuverability as well as tweak some other things like adding some sort of intake fan on the bottom.

also, SuperPants and I are most likely going to scrap the younger brother idea in order to give SuperPants more time to polish up the main character.

Hopefully I'll have an update tonight!
  • gyarados
    SuperPants wrote: »
    Hey there guys. =]

Here is the super early progress I'm making on my end. I would love any and ALLLL critiques on my anatomy or proportions or anything. =] Other than the hands and feet. Which I always save for last for some reason.

I will probably also put a paint over up soon about her outfit, oh muh gurd girl you gonna look so goooood.

PS. isn't that shader gorgeous. Its from the one and only Jon Troy Nickel. It's probably my favorite ever.

Hi SuperPants,
    I think the head is looking good,I know its early days still, but i have a few critiques:
    criticism image
    • I think you have some pinching problems around the eye and mouth corners.
    • The bottom eyelid appears to be too close to the eyeball making them look thin.
    • Soften the areas around the corners of the mouth ( fat deposits )
    • Strange gesture of the lips ( maybe they are too exaggerated? )
    • The brow/eye region appears to just end abruptly once it reaches the corners.
    • The ears need some love.
  • SuperPants
    Hey thanks Gyarados! I never dreamed of getting a critique from my third favorite pokemon! =]

I'll look at all the things you pointed out so kindly, and I'm hoping to post some new stuff tonight. =] I really appreciate the crit and the awesome paint over!