Home Technical Talk

Smoothing in 3ds Max - is it possible?

Helo guys! I have a simple question. Am I able to smooth in 3ds Max? I ask it because I used Maya since I started modeling and there was a smooth view option. I would like to know how can I get that smooth look (for example at cars) in 3ds Max. Thank you!

Replies

• Beddall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beddall polycounter lvl 6
    hey,

add a turbo smooth modifier. or use nurms smoothing. both of those should give you a smooth model without actually tessellating the geo. as long as you don't collapse the stack.

there's always more than one way to skin a cat though. pretty sure typing 'smooth' in the help box in the top right of the max UI will give you more results.

turbo smooth will allow you to work on the low poly cage and see the high poly result tho, and from what I recall it is the easiest / fastest in terms of interaction response.

cheers
  • doboka98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

thank you for your answer. I found both of these and watched videos. Thank you again!
  • ElleKitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElleKitty polycounter lvl 3
    Even better, there is a Smooth modifier. It smooths using "smoothing groups". If two polygons are in the same group, they get smoothed. If they are in different groups, they remain sharp. You can even set "Smooth by angle", turn on "Auto Smooth" and then set the angle treshold. Then a cylinder could have its round sides smoothed with each other, but the top and bottom edges would be sharp because they are too big of an angle.

You cannot edit the actual smoothing groups here though. You can edit them by hand in Editable Poly (base os a polymesh) or Edit Poly (the modifier).