Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Futuristic F-1 Inspired Speeder

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
Always wanted to make a Speeder thingy, So here's my go at a Formula-1 Inspired Speeder.
Concept by the super tallented Dwayne Vance.
Finished with a set of two 2K Textures, and 40k Tris.
ibeq56S9YwrXH0.png
iSl8E4FOKTW9f.png
iAoBuWN4BGVaA.png
ib1FLMT7v2zdGN.png

Would love some mad critz!

Replies

• s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Is this suppose to be miniature? The model reads as small because of the extreme Depth of field going on here. Check out some helicopter or plane reference, and see how clear the majority of the foreground is.

If it is intended to be miniature, 2K maps and 40K tris is overkill.

When dealing with something that will occupy a lot of space in the world it's particularly important to nail the size and frequency of certain details and elements to establish the scale of the model.

a_10_thunderbolt_1_wallpaper-normal.jpg

Note the size of rivets and bolts, as well as paneling gaps and edge width. All these subtle things indicated the scale of the plane and are the difference between it looking like its 50 feet long, instead of 5.

In your case, you're rivets and level of detail indicate it is very small or "RC" like. Perhaps you could go back through on your normal map and add some details with Ndo, or just keep in this in mind next time you're working on your highpoly, which is the main stage where this type of scale is established.

As for the texture, you have some nice details and variation going on here. But your roughness seems to be a little backwards, depending on what material you're going for. The scratches and raw metal sections should be a fairly high gloss value, because raw metals are very reflective. In your map they are very dark, making their reflection more diffused(almost non existent.

I like the colors though! The design is neat, I think it looks cool. However, I think you may have missed your mark a touch.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 wrote: »
    Is this suppose to be miniature? The model reads as small because of the extreme Depth of field going on here. Check out some helicopter or plane reference, and see how clear the majority of the foreground is........

Thank you so much for the detailed critic dude!
    I Kept the small detail in a seperate Substance Painter layer, So I'll go back and scale down all the rivets.
    I will also crank down the roughness of the bare metal.
    I hope I can nail the small detail with the current UV's, though.
  • Julinoleum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should post a wireframe. I feel like there is too many polygons in there!
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Julinoleum wrote: »
    You should post a wireframe. I feel like there is too many polygons in there!

Here you go mate:
    ikjByNDqrjnTb.png
  • Julinoleum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, not bad. There are small pieces that you could easy reduce without having an impact on the final result. Around the engine behind the cockpit. Maybe the cockpit itself could be lower. Under the front wings you got some very small pieces attached. Normal bump could easily replace some of these details all around, especialy with the bevels
  • Julinoleum
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Julinoleum wrote: »
    1r9h.jpg

Thanks for the feedback bro!
    That being said, the insets that you marked alter the model's silhouette, So I pretty much had to model them. I can bake them instead, but the results would be weird.
    As for the pipes below the wings, They also alter the silhouette, So I also can't really bake them in. I did, however, remove some of them, and lowered the TriCount to 35k.
    I made sure that the model is pretty much fully optimized in terms of geometry, but the big ass engines are pretty round and costly.