Home General Discussion

One for the Graduates!

Hey guys and gals :)

I'm a recent Graduate, just finished 3 years of University doing a Games Development Course. It's looking very unlikely that I am going to get a job any time soon in the Games Industry and I'm willing to bet that it's the case with most Graduates looking to get into the Industry too.

Basically I would just like to ask what you other guys are doing and if you have any advice?

In my spare time I'm going to put together a portfolio with the aim of still pursuing a career in games, but it's going to be rather difficult as about 95% of the jobs ask for so many years experience and I just don't have that because I've been at Uni and College the past 6 years of my life!

I do have an idea of putting a small team together of Graduates to perhaps make some games for mobile or perhaps PC, mainly for the benefit of we can then all say we have some experience working as a team and have developed a game.
But would this idea even work and would people be willing to do that?
I mean look at some of the indie developers out there that are now swimming in it with franchises like Angry Birds etc.

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and if any other graduates out there feel the same then please share your story so that we may advise each other and perhaps help each other out.

Or even better if you would like to form a team of graduates to develop a game then lets do it! :thumbup:

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    When it comes to the experience "requirement" if you think your portfolio is good enough, then apply. Now, the experience numbers are likely a little more important when it comes to positions that may have some management duties, such as "Senior" and "Lead".

So, to reiterate. If you think your work is good enough, and the position isn't "Senior" or "Lead", then disregard the "experience requirement".
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Im about 2 years out now, i have had some freelance jobs and minor studio jobs. I practice everyday or try too and i started my own thread to get a job on polycount to develop even more. I have a crappy job for now whil i keep working and i may try an indie game
  • gutty333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there,

Personally if you want to continue with the hopes of working in games industry be it indie or AAA('just know what you are getting into for the long term reasons"), I think the best thing you can do is to stay active. Whether is creating projects to strengthen the portfolio or joining a team to work on a game.

Regarding jobs, I heard of cases and seem folks that even as graduates or young talents they manage to get a foot in. From my experience I can conclude a lot of this has to do with your location, also networking lays a helping hand. With that said don't let the experience requirements crush your hopes. On the other hand, depending on your location you might need the portfolio of a 4 year veteran to even just scratch an entry level spot.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. Well, I'm one year from graduating but here's my advice.

1. For every project, ensure you improve your skills. The next project has to look better than the last.

2. When deciding on a project, smaller is better. When I decide on a project, I usually cut that in half. From what I've heard, it's better to show a badass small piece rather than a large, "meh" piece. Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is don't overwhelm yourself and get burned out. I have a list of what I want to focus on with each project. If there are multiple pieces that are showcasing the same technique, I try to cut those parts down so I get to keep learning new things.

3. Don't give yourself super hard deadlines (unless you need to). While I was working on my last project, some parts just took longer to learn than others. Looking back on him, I'm glad that I worked a lot on the initial concept, as it resulted in (I think) a better end product).
    4. With #3 said, install Procrastitracker. Week to week, you can check out the program and see if you are actually putting in "X" hours a week into your projects.

5. Focus your portfolio. If you love sci-fi, then make a lot of sci-fi pieces. If you want to do environments, then it may not be the best idea to make a character (I'm guilty of this..). Really make sure that every project has the potential to be a portfolio piece.

And then, on a more day-to-day lifestyle..

6. Try to go to the gym at least twice a week for 30 minutes each time. That could be once a week after work (or before) and once over the weekend. It's very little time out of your week and will make you feel 100x better.

7. I always think about long term vs. short term happiness. I consider short term happiness video games, hanging out with friends, going to bars/shows, etc. Something that is temporarily enjoyable that takes some time out of your day but may not help you get to your end goal. I view long term happiness as working at a job that you enjoy the majority of the year (not every day obviously). What scarifies need to be made from the short term happiness in order to gain long term happiness?

Final edit: If anything I said is wrong please correct it!! I'm always trying to learn more about the industry so i could be wrong about a few points.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Oh man. This is close to home.

So I graduated with my bachelors in may 2013, I started my first internship in Montreal the day after I got my diploma and spent an awesome summer up there and then I came home to work on the 'folio. I got hired full time as a jr TD late April 2014.

In my spare time I'm going to put together a portfolio with the aim of still pursuing a career in games, but it's going to be rather difficult as about 95% of the jobs ask for so many years experience.

Never stop working. If you want to get a job in games making art, don't ever stop working. Project experience is definitely cool and its a neat thing to have, but always focus on the portfolio. If a company sees top tier art in your folio, they will want you regardless of the industry experience you have. Always push yourself that extra step.

Basically I would just like to ask what you other guys are doing and if you have any advice?

Its tough as all hell, and chances are the first job you will get won't be your dream job, but always walk in the direction that you want to go. Get involved with game art communities, post work all the time, look for critique, mingle with the homies, and above all never stop making cool shit that blows peoples minds. Eventually the job will come but you need to put in the time.

We rootin' for you.
  • HausFly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HausFly polycounter lvl 17
    Can you mention what university you attended? I'm surprised an online portfolio wasn't a requirement for graduation.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    HausFly wrote: »
    Can you mention what university you attended? I'm surprised an online portfolio wasn't a requirement for graduation.

I assumed also that was mandatory for all modern programs of worth.
  • Raptor_Arts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for posting, Polycount really does have a great community! Your help and advice really means a lot :)

Well I say University but it was actually Bradford College but doing a Degree under Leeds Met (This is in the UK).

To be honest though the 3 year experience has really killed my passion quite a lot. The college didn't give the service it should have done as an education facility and I've come out of it with absolutely nothing. So I'm quite down that I've wasted 3 years of my life and I now have this debt to pay for the student loans I took out. I've basically got to start fresh!
    A portfolio wasn't a requirement for graduating and what work I did do wouldn't stand a chance next to the amazing pieces of work some people do haha.
  • Jeremy Mitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Mitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys for posting, Polycount really does have a great community! Your help and advice really means a lot :)

Well I say University but it was actually Bradford College but doing a Degree under Leeds Met (This is in the UK).

To be honest though the 3 year experience has really killed my passion quite a lot. The college didn't give the service it should have done as an education facility and I've come out of it with absolutely nothing. So I'm quite down that I've wasted 3 years of my life and I now have this debt to pay for the student loans I took out. I've basically got to start fresh!
    A portfolio wasn't a requirement for graduating and what work I did do wouldn't stand a chance next to the amazing pieces of work some people do haha.

This is actually what you should have said in your first post, and changes the perspective of everything.

Regardless of what your school officials said, it's this simple: No portfolio, no job.

Even if somebody applies for an art job with 10 years experience and a bunch of games shipped, if they don't present a portfolio they aren't considered for the job.
  • Raptor_Arts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is actually what you should have said in your first post, and changes the perspective of everything.

Regardless of what your school officials said, it's this simple: No portfolio, no job.

Even if somebody applies for an art job with 10 years experience and a bunch of games shipped, if they don't present a portfolio they aren't considered for the job.

Yeah that's why I'm now going to invest a lot of my time into putting together a portfolio
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Didn't you guys have some sort of capstone of a student project together? If so wouldn't that count as "experience?" I'm just curious honestly.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9

Ok so wanted to address this straight up aswell as answer the questions you've posted.

I'm a recent graduate of Leeds Met - in the UK the same course you followed under. The course provided me with a lot of knowledge and I was lucky enough to have some fantastic tutors whom had recently been in established AAA studios like ubisoft etc.. The course criteria was a variety; and the entirety of the third and final year being based on portfolio. Only requirements was that you had to make a character, an environment and a game; the character and enviro could be based around the game used within the game etc; and so literally you could end up with 5-6 highly polished levels at the end of it, or creatures monsters etc. The best teams working on these games were entered into game republic a national sort of competition/contest across local universities and colleges (including your own) and judged by 3 different AAA studios also local in this area. They see this as a talent pool and each year have recruited students as staff.

Now about me; I graduated in 2013, my team fell out and I wasn't lucky enough to represent my uni in the competition for my year, 5 days after handing in my final project I got a freelance gig at a studio which turned into full time work - granted it's a Vis studio - one of the best in the country, and we have a studio in the US too. I was offered 2 game gigs in February - just 6 months after I graduated, and was sadly had to decline due to relocation issues :( ( this won't hold me back next time!!)

In march the head of the modelling department left my Vis studio and I was offered the position due to my knowledge, how fast I've caught up with everyone else and the amount of work I put in.

What I cannot stand more then anything else is someone who goes to uni for three years and expects it to land in there lap. Don't blame the course and it's criteria with the ethic of "it's been a waste and now I have to get a job" when you've made 6 posts since the entirety of your join date, 3 months ago.

Please people do not think this is a shitty establishment, but every single year it does provide and every single year it has students who put in the work join AAA or indie studio or in my case Vis studios.

In regard to this; "A portfolio wasn't a requirement for graduating and what work I did do wouldn't stand a chance next to the amazing pieces of work some people do haha." You should have worked just as hard, your did 3d for the same duration they did.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    ^ Damn, that sounds like an AWESOME course. I'm jelly.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    What I cannot stand more then anything else is someone who goes to uni for three years and expects it to land in there lap. Don't blame the course and it's criteria with the ethic of "it's been a waste and now I have to get a job"

Preach. Its great to see the perspective from other students. I know the feel of wanting to stick up for your alma mater.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha sorry if it sounds like a rant, but at the end of the day you get out whatever you put in. Blaming your lecturers and the Uni you went to, for your failures is just ridiculous.

I'm guessing the OP didn't represent their college at Game Republic?
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    I'm a bit curious. In these game arts programs, do they teach you a bit of rigging or it's just modeling?

Because if you have a good base in rigging, i thnk you can help in small prods too, no?
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This story sounds familiar. Most of the people at my school are in the same position...getting out of it what they put into it...which is pretty much nothing.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @blond

The course teaches everything from modelling to texturing to animation using standard rigging techniques to even having your own mocap room to record animation. The course itself also focus'es on design and implementing game mechanics via game engines and program udk mainly C# and JavaScript using Unity or UDK. The course pretty much covers everything so you can find what you enjoy and continue developing that skill with emphasis.

@slosh

Exactly 100%. Same story that we hear on polycount.... Thread after thread. ;(
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    @blond

The course teaches everything from modelling to texturing to animation using standard rigging techniques to even having your own mocap room to record animation. The course itself also focus'es on design and implementing game mechanics via game engines and program udk mainly C# and JavaScript using Unity or UDK. The course pretty much covers everything so you can find what you enjoy and continue developing that skill with emphasis.

@slosh

Exactly 100%. Same story that we hear on polycount.... Thread after thread. ;(

Not to take away anything from what you have said, as it does indeed sound like a good program, but he should be free to backup and validate his claims,especially given it came as a surprise to many of us here a 3 year program didn't result in a portfolio.

There is for sure a huge element of working your ass off and not just phoning it in, but standards should also be drawn into question when you are studying something you don't need a degree for saddling people with debt and not having them ready for a professional environment post graduation.

So OP, care to tell us what do you feel the course let you down on?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    I've been in this situation before. The reasons the schools doen't really care if you barely do any work is because you're still paying the massive debt at the end of it. Even if a fine arts degree is pretty much worthless.
  • Raptor_Arts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I completely understand what you're saying there Dave Jr about getting out of it what you put in to it, that works for some people and I'm happy for you that you have succeeded where I haven't. But although you have done a Leeds Met certified course I can very much guarantee that our courses were completely different. As LRoy has rightly said some schools don't care because at the end of the day you're still paying. Unfortunately I have spent the past three years at that kind of facility. The Tutors didn't have industry experience and work on AAA titles like yours, they didn't even have portfolios to show. We just weren't taught a damn thing and to me that is wrong, lessons weren't structured whatsoever and rather than feel like I was going to class I felt I was attending a social group. In my own time I did try to learn through providers like Digital Tutors and people on YouTube which helped greatly but it was kind of hard to balance the learning with the actual production of work for my projects. I'm not saying I don't blame myself for not trying harder, I did try but it was difficult because I wasn't getting out of it what I thought I would do, but I don't think I deserve all the blame either. I personally think the institute which I was paying to educate me failed to deliver the service it should have.

To answer maximumsproductions, yes we did have a couple of final year group projects but don't get me started on that, it was the worst group experience of my life no kidding!

I must say it is interesting to see other peoples views. I realise what it is I must do, and I'm willing to do it, it's just going to take time. But unfortunately this kind of thing does happen to some of us aspiring people!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    when i guest lectured at a UK university, the driving point of the entire lecture was: if you don't leave university with a strong portfolio, you might as well burn your degree.

and i stick by that. because now that 2/3 of the people i lectured have graduated, only a handful had portfolios ready. and i have to wonder how many of those were strong enough to have a job offer right out the door.