Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mortar Tower

Pennywise
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Pennywise polycounter lvl 18
Thought I would post what I have so far on a building I started. I have a little more modeling I want to do still, then it will be on to the textures.

TowerShots_01.jpg

TowerShots_02.jpg

Replies

• moleman
    looking very good, but for what is the rope bridge?
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. The bridge is one of the areas I plan on building out a little more after I get more work done on the tower. I hope to build a small patch of terrain for the area around the tower also.
  • Trevor
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    Solid modeling, keep it up. I really like the shapes. The way you set up the shields and the mortar at the top of the tower push the silhouette nicely. You might want to make the base of the tower larger because the tower feels top heavy as I glance over it.
    What style are you aiming for, or are you just winging it?
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks for the tips. As for the style, kind of just winging it. It's going to be hand painted, but still trying to figure out what I want. Wish I was better at concepting that would make it a bit easier.
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the tower textures. It's been slow going so far, but I guess it's getting there. Still have more work to do on the textures I have on there. Pretty much just my first pass so far. I think next up I will start working on the shields and figure out what I want to do with them.

TowerRender_12.jpg

TowerRender_13.jpg
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    That's awesome, been wanting to see this textured for a while now! keep it up.
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice and clean texture.

Only critique are the metal-plates at the corner. Maybe you can push the metalic reflection/highlights a little more. So far it reads "metal.. or not?".

Looking forward to see more.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Nice Textures, keep it coming!
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to rework some parts. The more I got done, the more I felt that the gold metals were just not working overall. It was starting to get to busy I thought, so decided to scrap all that and rework some of the metal textures. Still have a lot left to do on them, but I think/hope that the tower reads much better now.

TowerRender_24.jpg

TowerRender_25.jpg
  • [kaz]
    Offline / Send Message
    [kaz] polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking awesome so far. I love the shapes you're working with in this design. The textures themselves look very solid.

I think something that would make the materials and colors overall read better would be to decide which materials to make significantly darker than the other pieces. If you turned the entire object black and white, is there enough contrast between them? I recommend making all the greenish metal darker, so that it's darker than the brick, and the wood even darker still.

Just a thought! Loving how this is coming out.
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, good call on the B&W to check my contrast. I will do that for sure.
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Got more done on the mid section of the tower, and got some of the other areas blocked out. Decided to check out what I have in Marmoset. No lights in the scene yet, just the skylight and AO turned on.
    I tried a few different designs on the door, but have not gotten anything I liked yet. Still trying to figure out what I want to do on the shields as well. I may tweak the model a bit on those. I hope to have all that figure out this week.

TowerRender_29.jpg

TowerRender_30.jpg

TowerRender_31.jpg
  • Soldier63
    love your work, reminds me a little bit of settlers6 :)
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    New update, probably the last one for a little bit, as I am in the middle of moving now. I reworked to door to more of at gate. I think I am liking that better now, but it still needs more work. Got the furnace blocked out and some details on there. Also got the shields unwrapped, because I was sicking of looking at them as white.

TowerRender_37.jpg

TowerRender_38.jpg

TowerRender_39.jpg

TowerRender_40.jpg
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    First of all, beautiful texture work. The model has a balanced design of big shapes and small ones.
    The problem which you've faced earlier isn't solved yet, imo. As suggested, B&W readability will help you sort out ur shapes and minimize noise. If u squint at it, right now, some areas of metal blend with bricks. The values need to be tighter. Maybe brightening the bricks, overall, while evenly darkening the metal will create a clearer separation. These kind of adjustments sometimes come at the cost of losing juicy texture details, but it's worth it...
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. I agree about the contrast issues I have right now. I did adjust the metal on the tower base, but so far that's all i have done with it. I was thinking it might be better to get more of the textures done before I start messing with the values. The suggestions are great though, and I will try and address them in the next update I post for sure. Next up will be getting the top unwrapped and a base texture on there.