Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Cave Ruins scene

Zarakun
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Zarakun polycounter lvl 7
Hi, I'm creating this new post to keep track of my current personal project and earn some feedback if possible :).

It's based on a concept from Rolf Bertz

http://cghub.com/images/view/566733/

Some of you may know it since it has been used in a previous noob challenge.

For now there are still placeholder in the current scene and a lot of elements haven't been added. But I started to work recently on the lighting to define the mood more precisely.

However since the foliage will introduce vivid green one the scene the lighting and mood may change drastically.

As mentioned before the statue is just a quick pose study made on zbrush to have a clear idea and bake the light around it.

Cave_ruines_01.png

Cave_ruines_02.png

It may be too early to get critics but if you have some, you're welcome :)

I'll keep on updating this thread as the scene evolve.

Thanks for reading this :poly121:

Replies

• silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that sculpture fate led by Albert Toft? Shoulders look pretty low.
    The white bits on the dais are a bit clean, light source isn't very clear and you could do with integrating the dais into the ground a bit, it's very separate. Rock sculpting is cool on the round part, watch out for the obviously repetitious blocks (centre of the archway)
    Because of the lighting it's really not grabbing me, not focussed on an interesting area, because the sculpture is so white.
  • Zarakun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No for the statue it's just the standard Julie model shipped with zbrush that I used to explore different poses. I agree that everything looks too clean at the moment. I'm always afraid to push dirt and details too far and bring too much noise in the end. I plan on using decals to break repetition and add variation to the stone. This and the vertex painted moss should add more variation. And you are true about the lighting it lacks information and doesn't make anything appealing right now. My problem is that the main light source which is the sun is out of view. The concept provide clues on the lighting origin with the rays of light but in my scene this light seems to come out of nowhere... I think I will brighten the whole environment and use some more atmospheric effects/colors to add depth to the scene. The more I look at it, the flatter it looks :(

Thank you for those critics I'll improve that :)
  • Zarakun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been a long tine since I opened this thread, but I'm still working on this environment.

Actually I just finished the sculpt of the statue which was my last big asset for this scene.

Ancient_ruins_statue_HP_01_1920.png

I also reworked my materials and added some foliage in the environment I'll post more screen soon when I'll be satisfied with the lighting (I'm still struggling with that part)
  • Zarakun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if self revival is a good thing but since I'm almost done with this project, I'll post my latest screens here instead of opening another thread.

So, I did a lot of improvements since the last time and I started the whole cave once again to aim for a more interesting lighting.

jQvSl0Qb

TkEfk9ti

I still need to tweak some assets in the scene and refine the lighting a little, these are just some preliminary shots but I think I'm close to the end. :)