Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AKS-74U

Hi guys. This is my first experience with nDo and dDo. AKS74-U automatic rifle, 5658 tris. I created this model to increase experience.

jP2RUIt.jpg?1

ktZODTC.jpg?1

MduzAst.jpg?1

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Dude!
    This is really a good start.
    But i think there is some space for improving.
    Look at those works here:
    fin.jpg
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu wrote: »
    Hey Dude!
    But i think there is some space for improving.
    Look at those works here:

Clip is not from this rifle, + my model is much smaller triangles.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Im talking about the Material Definition, not about the Model itself
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im talking about the Material Definition, not about the Model itself
    The material on the model you posted much matt. As for me, my texture looks even more realistic.

LdFnHDr.jpg?1

hTOYL6v.jpg?1
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly + normal map.

QWUvcs3.jpg?1
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Render%2001.jpg
    Ok then this one here :P
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Render%2001.jpg
    Ok then this one here :P

Everything would be fine if it is not - what happened to the wooden forearm? rivets are not made properly, thin handle. And so the model is not bad, but far from ideal.

nhy62sC.jpg?1
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Why you are posting your weapon when you dont want to hear that you have to improve your maps?

I mean your maps are nice, but compared with the two i posted there is still something to do on yours.
    The two i posted have such nice material definition and yours not at the moment.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Don't want to be rude or something, but I think you are trying to dogde the criticisms that Gazu have said.

He is talking about material definition, not the accuracy of the model.

Patrick Sutton did a great job with this AK. Nice variation with spec/gloss Grease on the body, difference in the wood between worn and pristine , burned zone on the front part , mag etc etc, you can see my point I guess.

"what happened to the wooden forearm?" It give the weapon a unique feeling, history. Maybe the guy broke this part and swap it with another from another weapon!

I think you have a solid start, you can improve it I'm sure! Give it some love , make it unique and interesting :D
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Borod has started to hate my works because of my commentars... -.-"

Kids... -.-"
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why you are posting your weapon when you dont want to hear that you have to improve your maps?

I mean your maps are nice, but compared with the two i posted there is still something to do on yours.
    The two i posted have such nice material definition and yours not at the moment.

Dude better go finish you're ak 47, there is much more problems, then only criticize me. :poly124:
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Borod whats wrong with you?
    Why posting then your weapon?

I got a big list of critiques when i first time posted my AK.
    I corrected that, but you have some kind of closed ears for critique?

Then dont post!
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Borod, you can't say that :/

''Wood too need to change, looks bad.'' Is NOT a usefull critisism, in this case it's pure vendetta.

Gazu had a valid point about material definition and you just don't want to hear it...
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    I really dont want to attack your works@Borod.
    I have a lot to learn and i think you,too.

But to attack me, just because i have said that your material definition is not the best "AT THE MOMENT" (Hey yeah, you can still change that!!!!) is misbehavior.

You wanna work in the industry one day?
    Then have a ear for critique and correct that!

Look at the first Site of my AK Thread. A lot of critique...but yeah...thats why im posting my stuff. To become a look from a different angle...different people...TO IMPROVE!!!
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Borod, that's a terrible attitude to have, and I can promise you that very few studios appreciate that kind of behavior. We are here to learn and improve, not bash each others work.

No one here is trying to attack you, so you can lower your defence and start listening to what people have to say.
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really dont want to attack your works@Borod.
    I have a lot to learn and i think you,too.

But to attack me, just because i have said that your material definition is not the best "AT THE MOMENT" (Hey yeah, you can still change that!!!!) is misbehavior.

You wanna work in the industry one day?
    Then have a ear for critique and correct that!

Look at the first Site of my AK Thread. A lot of critique...but yeah...thats why im posting my stuff. To become a look from a different angle...different people...TO IMPROVE!!!

It is not, I criticized your work would in any case. And the way you attacked my topic first, I will not alter the texture, because I'm working right now on another model.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Hey Dude!
    But i think there is some space for improving."

THIS is attacking for you? O_O

If you don't want people to critic your work, don't show it on a game art forum, or say that you're not going to touch it anymore, I don't know...
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    .....sorry that i said anything.....

Im out here, and good luck for your firearms
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    CougarJo wrote: »
    "Hey Dude!

If you don't want people to critic your work, don't show it on an game art forum, or say that you're not going to touch it anymore, I don't know...

+1

While your skills are solid. You should use your time here to appreciate and consider what others have to say about your work without being defensive.
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo wrote: »
    "Hey Dude!

If you don't want people to critic your work, don't show it on an game art forum, or say that you're not going to touch it anymore, I don't know...

I did not mean it. Just after a remark he started doing more and more, the more he really can not explain what's wrong?, You at least on the reference of the original rifle looked?, Or holding it in your hands? My model is not ideal, but the models showed that he, too far from the original.
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for bad english.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you talking about the Millenia's AK?

In my book, there is two type of way to approach realism in texture.

The pure photo realistic way like the second one (now with the PBR it's even more separated I think), and the ''over-realistic, or "stylized realistic'' way. Like some of the Millenia works, or maybe some of Polygoo's work . (good example for what I have in my mind : http://polygoo.com/m4homefront )

It doesn't mean it's bad or something, it's just a step aside of the photorealistic render, it give a really cool feeling, very interesting with a lot of strong points of interest on the model.

Just my 2cents...
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    This thread just makes me think that the OP is trying to fish for complements. He's clearly not interested in taking criticism and even if he doesn't agree with what's being said a little moral appreciation would do wonders. Doesn't mean you have to actually change anything, but shit, no need for the cack arsey attitude...

Lets throw this in a different direction, Millenia and Patrick created the textures from scratch - you've used dDo, and while that's all well and good, you can can still tell it's dDo... The sharpness and the edginess of the maps is a tale-tale sign.
  • ObbieSkinner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread gave me a good laugh
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    There's no other way to say this, so I'm just going to say it...

Borod, you're being an ignorant fool.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Borod wrote: »
    It is not, I criticized your work would in any case. And the way you attacked my topic first, I will not alter the texture, because I'm working right now on another model.

laugh.jpg
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    Xz08Zf5.png

you've got some weird overlap here, might wanna touch that up a bit.
    also, im not sure what it is, but something is bugging me about the foregrip texture. it feels too light at the front maybe?

the indents on the reciever also look too thin in the base, compare them to these:
    aks-74u_8_of_8.jpg

you also have the problem that the entire side of the reciever looks pretty flat, some of the larger rivets would maybe have worked better left as actual geometry.
    can we see wires of the left hand side? would help with critique.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9

fVqnIAr.gif
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    What is Polycount turning into so have had some of these threads recently

What I find funny is we all know you used this
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BboBgjGARc"]Complete dDo Legacy Breakdown - The AK - YouTube[/ame]

And when people try to help you then you actively search and find their work to insult it?

Oh dear now we can even question why you are here did you come here for the ego boost?

In that case I am sorry your work is literally 100% perfect and is the best thing anyone has/will ever make and you are a master well done!
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Hey polycount, stop dog-piling on threads like this with useless memes.

If you don't have something constructive to add, stay out. Go post on your garbage comments on a youtube video or something.

To those here that have been adults and constructive, bravo!
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Chill... they are having a bit of laugh from this whole situation... Telling people that their posts are garbage (even if they are gifs) also isn't constructive.

But I'm also not being constructive so I'm out :P
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    well to be fair the OP has pretty clearly shown that he's not interested in anything constructive

100% gross attitude is what he's got
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Хватит флудить в моей теме.

Enough to flood in my thread.
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread just makes me think that the OP is trying to fish for complements. He's clearly not interested in taking criticism and even if he doesn't agree with what's being said a little moral appreciation would do wonders. Doesn't mean you have to actually change anything, but shit, no need for the cack arsey attitude...

Lets throw this in a different direction, Millenia and Patrick created the textures from scratch - you've used dDo, and while that's all well and good, you can can still tell it's dDo... The sharpness and the edginess of the maps is a tale-tale sign.

Scratches painted by hand.
  • lamar McHaney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    Not really worth posting a crit for this, especially if I am probably going to be attacked. I'll just say good start.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Scratches painted by hand.

In afraid you may have misunderstood :)

What he meant is that you have used dDo while the others made their textures without auto texturing software
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really worth posting a crit for this, especially if I am probably going to be attacked. I'll just say good start.

Thanks, I finally decided to improve the texture, I will do a little later.
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    In afraid you may have misunderstood :)

What he meant is that you have used dDo while the others made their textures without auto texturing software

Thanks for the clarification, now I understand. I also tried to texture different methods, in DDO to me more like, you can add manually painted layers, and it also comes partly hand painted texture. DDO accelerates the process, I especially like the quick editing of all maps. But maybe I'll try to make the texture entirely by hand, I need to improve my skills. But I'm betting more on the use of DDO in the future.
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot wrote: »
    you also have the problem that the entire side of the reciever looks pretty flat, some of the larger rivets would maybe have worked better left as actual geometry.

About rivets I know, wanted to save triangles, but then I realized it was a mistake. Remodel no longer want, but work on textures.
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
  • inflict3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    Don't pay much attention to that user and his thread. In ex-USSR countries a few people can accept criticism normally. It's need to learn some good manners before to start posting anything on english-speaking communities.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    I recommend looking closer at reference pictures, as it's quite inaccurate shape-wise to the real deal. Shouldn't really be looking at other modelers' work for reference and just using tons of high res photos instead.
  • Borod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia wrote: »
    I recommend looking closer at reference pictures, as it's quite inaccurate shape-wise to the real deal. Shouldn't really be looking at other modelers' work for reference and just using tons of high res photos instead.

Ok, I will try. Thanks for the advice. :)