Home Technical Talk

Extrusion VS Floating Geo

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Shadow2Matrix polycounter lvl 8
I didnt know how to exactly ask this, so I posted, I apologize if question has been solved but I want to know what the professionals might look for.
So I find it that the plane to the left creates more polys but the one to the right saves them however, if you want a nice clean wireframe view, the one to the left might be better, I do not want someone mistaking the plane to the right as an NGon due to it being floating Geo. What do you guys think would create a better workflow. I've seen people make things out of one model but also it seems less efficient for gaming. Also, let me clarify I just graduated from game production but regarding the proper workflow was never thoroughly clarified. There was an employer who wanted to see something impressive and I find myself in a pickle. His wireframe is super clean, however, for example, a cylinder that needed no loops, had a few in between, I mean I can just take a box and cut it everywhere and say its high poly modeling but its so inefficient. I know employers want to see a clean wireframe but to what extent? I simply ask, and if you guys have examples from personal experience please share on some pro tips. I can make a high poly model scene but it would really bug me to see unecessary polys where you can cut corners, after all that's what good game models are right? A follow up question would be, when high poly modeling, unwrapping and texturing would be a huge pain in the rear, should I model for impressive wireframe or should I model for efficiency? That is the debate thats killing me right now. I made a quick example in max to reveal what I mean. Everything is quaded. Thanks in advance everyone!!

The picture is attached to this post

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I am not sure what you are exactly asking, you kind of went off on a rant that didn't make sense to me. I can answer you original question, but if you have others please organize them and clarify better for me.

Your first example is typically called "water tight," geo, which means all the shapes that don't need to move or animate are made out of one single piece of geo with zero open holes. The advantages to this is that you get much better bakes even if your highpoly is made out of a bunch of separate pieces. You also tend to get much better texel density because you don't have any faces hidden underneath other geo. The disadvantage is that sometimes this can increase the polycount significantly around certain types of shapes. It really depends on the situation on what is best to use, so as you get more experienced you will see what works and what doesn't.

The second part of your question that I think you are getting at is about clean wireframes. I think you are under the assumption that lowpoly modeling and highpoly modeling are the same, which they are not. Highpoly modeling wireframes do not matter at all, as long as the model sub-divides nicely to give you a good bake, that is all that matters. No employer in the game industry is going to care about your highpoly wireframes, so don't sweat it. On the other hand, employers want to see the wireframes of lowpoly models, not because they want to see an impressive wireframe, but they want to make sure you understand the basics of creating game art. That whole thing about "everything needs to be quads," you learned in school is bullshit, and is something people say without actually understanding modeling. Make your highpoly look good in sub-d, and make your lowpoly efficient for a game engine.

Edit- Basically read everything Earthquake says in this thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98510.
  • Shadow2Matrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadow2Matrix polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the reply Bardler, and I was thinking faster than I could type. Sorry about that.

I just was talking about an employer who wanted to be impressed by something complicated. He showed his portfolio. Dont get me wrong, it was GREAT work, however, his wireframe showed unnecessary loops in things like cylinders and whatnot. He wanted to see an impressive highpoly wireframe, but my mind is programmed to just think efficiency. So thats where I was confused. More loops fills the emptyness but its more, well, wireframe.

So when I model I was debating weather I should clutter up my models for the sake of an impressive wireframe.

Thanks for the reply, I read everything in the link. Unecessary pixel density and less visible seams vs more polys but more quality. Yeah seams are ugly but it really did not seem all that bad in the big picture. Less time spent on a faster workflow. It just seemed like a big undecided debate. I completely understand both sides. I think for portfolio work and to impress its better to have watertight models.

What is your take on the sides?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    well was his model made for sculpting or deformation? in both cases you will have to even out the topology as much as possible