Home General Discussion

Have you paid for your photoshop?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
To all the artworkers, texture artists and modelers here, did you pay you photoshop license?

Silly questions I know but I need to know...

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    College paid for it. However, it's Photoshop CS6 so I can't download the new one.
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    I've got CS4 EX, which was an upgrade from CS2, I will never touch CC, not until they let us continue to use the apps after the sub ends (which is what epic have done)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, creative cloud photoshop and lightroom(bundle).
  • perfect_paradigm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perfect_paradigm polycounter lvl 7
    Right now with an annual plan you can get Photoshop CC plus Lightroom for only $10 a month.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Creative Cloud. The only way to go.
  • visoutre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    visoutre polycounter lvl 6
    got the adobe master collection through my school. I <3 my CS5, but ended up upgrading to CS6 since CC is the new thing.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    MMM Gotta pay for Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop..3d artist tools are exepansive...-_-
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    I've purchased both the CS5 and CS6 Design Premium bundles. School discount of like -70%
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Blond wrote: »
    surprise? :P
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I was able to get Photoshop and Illustrator for cheap in college, but those versions are pretty old so now I mainly use Firealpaca and Krita for paint, Inkscape for vectors and Blender for 3d. I paid for Zbrush, but considering at the time it was $500 with free updates I consider it a good deal.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, on the monthly $20 fee. Hate it, will end up paying thousands in a few years, so that's more than we used to pay for a license that would last thru 3-4 years of use. But it's the best out there, just another cost of doing business.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Just in case people aren't aware, you can still buy a Photoshop license without paying monthly through Adobe's website:

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html

You just have to take a roundabout way through Products > Creative Suite 6 > Photoshop CS6 > Buy CS6 in order to get there.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    JordanN wrote: »
    College paid for it.
    Nope. YOU did!
  • KeithC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeithC polycounter lvl 7
    Paid full price for CS5 a few years back. I see no need to upgrade, and absolutely no need (or desire) to feed the CC machine.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Creative Cloud <_<"
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Only if you're working in a studio. Otherwise you can just pay $1500 ($900 around Christmas) for Modo plus CC subscription. Compared to paying ~$3500 for Maya, $800 for ZBrush, another ~$200 a month to get updates for Maya, and the CC subscription.
    Of course I think a studio would usually pay for that stuff for you, so...
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17

Maya - Try Blender
    Photoshop - There are many free alternatives depending on your needs/taste
    Zbrush - Cheap comparatively and worth every cent
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Nope, no I didn't.
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    Got a students licence of CS6 which was pretty cheap, and i can use it commercially too so it was a good deal.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8

Its certainly not a cheap line of work IF you choose do to go with the most expensive tools out there, but they are far from being a requirement.

To note, being more expensive doesnt necessarily mean better in what kind of assets it can pump out.

Modo for example is more than half the price of Maya, yet arguably a far better modeler among other things.

Zbrush is cheap considering its functionality and lack of charged updates. Sculpting exist in Modo as well as other applications such as blender and 3d coat. So depending on choices made with primary 3d application, you wont need to buy zbrush (though its useful and the best out there), its not a requirement for making good game art.

And as its already been pointed out, there are many alternatives to photoshop. In a way, photoshop has been becoming less relevant for texture painting over time, many tools are filling its place, whether it be substance designer or just painting directly onto the meshes themselves. I find Krita a great (free even, unless you buy it on steam) alternative for some of the functionality Photoshop does, in fact I find its brush system superior in many ways.

So the point is you could technically accomplish great art and hit all major areas of the pipeline without spending any money at all (blender, krita/gimp..ect) or by spending only a fraction of what you would if you went the (maya, zbrush, photoshop) rout.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing to note though is that ndo and 3do only work with Photoshop right? With that in mind and the new ndo2 and 3do2 things coming out, I'd say that Photoshop will be pretty important with some of the newer asset workflows. Not a requirement but definitely useful.
  • Rayek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do own a full license of the CS6 suite, but switched to other software about 18 months ago. Currently I no longer use any Adobe software for my personal and professional work - I can't stand the subscription-only model.

Besides, I achieved a much improved texture workflow with a combination of Krita, Photoline, and 3dCoat now. Krita is hopefully about to receive a 3d model opengl preview, and other 3d texturing improvements in the new GSoC.

And I am very happy with Photoline as a general image editor replacement for Photoshop. The overall layer workflow is arguably superior to Photoshop, with "virtual layers" that are basically cloned instances of other layers and layer groups.

What's more, layer masks and groups behave like layers themselves, so with instanced layer masks you can cascade changes you make instantly in real-time throughout the project. Unlike Photoshop's awkward smart objects that cannot be edited in place nor update in real-time and require a save.

Since PL supports full adjustment layers and layer effects (and also includes a built-in simple procedural texture generator), these can not only be applied to regular layers and groups, but also to layer masks and groups! Photoshop's layer masks pale in comparison, and seem very limited.

And textures can be organized in pages as well (virtual cloned layers/masks can be used in other pages). I also own a license of Filter Forge that runs without a hitch in Photoline for almost unlimited texture effects. Most regular plugins work in Photoline. Ndo and Ddo do not, however.

Krita can be used like a plugin in Photoline, so it is easy to work with Krita in combination with Photoline. Gimp also works as a plugin with Photoline ( both via PL's app link). And Photoline's footprint is very small, and can be installed on a portable drive.

Finally, for direct 3d painting on a model I use 3dCoat. Photoshop's 3d mode is too limited and awkward to use anyway (in my opinion). 3dCoat blows Photoshop's 3d painting out of the water. And that is aside from all the other 3d goodness that 3dCoat offers.

So, in a nutshell: no more Photoshop for me.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Also that gimp/krita dosnt support all the same features as PS and if your working in a group chances are people will be using psd's.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photoshop is kinda crappy as far as basic painting goes, but I would desperately miss a lot of the photo-manipulation features, especially since I only use it for cleaning up textures in my pipeline anyway.
    Content-aware fill, spot healing, layer blending, Dodge/Burn etc...
  • Rayek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Photoshop is kinda crappy as far as basic painting goes, but I would desperately miss a lot of the photo-manipulation features, especially since I only use it for cleaning up textures in my pipeline anyway.
    Content-aware fill, spot healing, layer blending, Dodge/Burn etc...
    ...which is why I switched to Photoline for image manipulation - it has all those things, and especially the layer blending is much better than Photoshop: in Photoshop you can only set the opacity of a layer from 0% up to 100%. In Photoline from -200% to +200%!!! That means you can double the effect of any layer blend mode, or even reverse the effect easily.

And, like Photoshop, it is one of the only image editors that supports "blend if" - but Photoline's implementation ("Color Filter") also supports blending in HIS (Hue,Intensity, Saturation) mode, aside from grey and rgb.

The painting option in PL are more limited, though. Krita works really well for that type of work.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I have disliked some of the things that Adobe has been doing, and since I'm not really working professional with it anymore, I dropped it completely.
    I'm doing okay with GIMP now, though still have to get used to the floating windows system.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    McGreed wrote: »
    I have disliked some of the things that Adobe has been doing, and since I'm not really working professional with it anymore, I dropped it completely.
    I'm doing okay with GIMP now, though still have to get used to the floating windows system.

you can change the style to something that looks like photoshop

ps.:
    bought cs6 and it will be most likely the last version i purchased if they cling on to their subscription model (and cloud crap)
  • Blitzwood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blitzwood polycounter lvl 9
    My laptop came with Adobe photoshop elements what basicly covers my needs in terms of image editing but I imagine that someone who works with textures, professional photo and can afford it sure should buy photoshop.

As for the rest I use MSPaint :)

http://youtu.be/SDc9sns01J0
  • Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    The only reason I would still use Photoshop is for ndo2 and ddo. My question is what are the disadvantages in terns of features with cs6 and elements or cc
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With Elements you can't edit alpha channels. Probably other limits, but that one precluded me looking for others.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I wish they did a Photoshop/Illustrator/Lightroom combo.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Lamont wrote: »
    I wish they did a Photoshop/Illustrator/Lightroom combo.
    Even just Photoshop/Illustrator would work for me, Camera Rawis Lightroom (just without the extra file organization stuff).
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws wrote: »
    The only reason I would still use Photoshop is for ndo2 and ddo. My question is what are the disadvantages in terns of features with cs6 and elements or cc

I know ndo and 3do are photoshop plugins, but I thought ddo was standalone? Otherwise I guess I'm out of luck and will have to skip out on trying to use it once ddo2 comes out.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can just use the Substance Pack (Designer/Painter/Bit2Map) instead of dDo/nDo. I personally prefer it. A lot.
  • Rayek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hermit wrote: »
    A lot of people are intimidated by the Substance Designer/Painter and prefer to stick with Photoshop/dDo/nDo2 as it gets the job done. That's just sad really.

Agreed. Especially seeing the nice connections for substances in Unreal and Unity (and apps like Modo and Max). Photoshop is quite limited in workflow compared. The indie pack is a bit of a no-brainer.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    photoshop can become less important as your workflow grows, and I honestly think some apps do it better for less money, theres substance painter, 3D coat, manga studio/clip art for hand painted textures or drawing, hell even zbrushes polypaint with spotlight can be pretty powerful in the right hands.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    you can change the style to something that looks like photoshop

ps.:
    bought cs6 and it will be most likely the last version i purchased if they cling on to their subscription model (and cloud crap)

Lol, I googled it and found an article about it, and read the first comment, which was exactly my problem, that I wanted to have all my stuff inside one window. I kept clicking between them and focus on the program in the background, what was annoying. ;) All joy now, need to read the article properly when I get home, as there was a bunch of good hints and plugins I wanted to use.