Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Karambit Knife - need advice for blood

Darksaint
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Darksaint polycounter lvl 4
Karambit knife I made in a few days as a personal project. I am happy with how the high poly looks for the most part except I can't seem to get the dried blood on the blade to look right. Now that I'm going to start the low poly, I would definitely appreciate some advice for making dried blood in my textures. I'll be using albedo, metalness, roughness, and normals so any advice for how to make dried blood in these textures would be appreciated. Hope you guys like the high poly!

LOsuSFL.jpg

Replies

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    check reference for the type of blood you want and what color it is when it's either wet or dry.
    It would definitely have a different pattern dependent on how it was used. Was it a stab would or was it a slice? right now it is just random dots looking like blood may have sprayed onto it.
    There are a lot of forensic websites that can help.
    http://forensics4fiction.com/2011/06/21/bloodstain-pattern-analysis-101-basic-properties-of-blood/ has a pic of a folder that was used on someone.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Few things.

Blood wouldn't spatter on the blade like that. It would be coating the blade with a few speckles here and there, but mostly coating. Second blood would only dry on a blade if it were left over time without use and in that case it would more likely cause rust than just dry. I would just remove it honestly. Blood isn't the type of wear you want to bake on to your model anyways it something that would be placed on with an effect in games.

The handle is too pristine. You have a decent amount of wear on the blade, but non on the handle. Over time where the hand rubs against the bumps on the handle it would smooth out and become more glossy.

There is a lack of any kind of dirt build up. In the grooves and crevices you would see a lot of dirt clumping in there.

Nice looking model overall!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    ^ and if you wanted splattered blood just ndo the photoshop layer and make it very smooth, aka 0 roughness and wow 3d blood wow. Up to you it's just like any other material. I would also try and make the wear on your blade look more believable.The model is looking great:)
  • Darksaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist wrote: »
    It would definitely have a different pattern dependent on how it was used. Was it a stab would or was it a slice? right now it is just random dots looking like blood may have sprayed onto it.
    There are a lot of forensic websites that can help.
    http://forensics4fiction.com/2011/06/21/bloodstain-pattern-analysis-101-basic-properties-of-blood/ has a pic of a folder that was used on someone.

Thanks for the link. Due to how the Karambit seems to be used, it would have a lot of slicing motions. Thanks for the link and I'll definitely check out some forensic websites!
  • Darksaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Few things.

Blood wouldn't spatter on the blade like that. It would be coating the blade with a few speckles here and there, but mostly coating. Second blood would only dry on a blade if it were left over time without use and in that case it would more likely cause rust than just dry. I would just remove it honestly. Blood isn't the type of wear you want to bake on to your model anyways it something that would be placed on with an effect in games.

The handle is too pristine. You have a decent amount of wear on the blade, but non on the handle. Over time where the hand rubs against the bumps on the handle it would smooth out and become more glossy.

There is a lack of any kind of dirt build up. In the grooves and crevices you would see a lot of dirt clumping in there.

Nice looking model overall!

Thanks for the advice. Now that I think about it, I don't know why I was thinking dried blood. The plan I have is to make a mask for the blade were the blood shows up after the knife is used in-game. The blood on the blade should be fresh and wet.

As for the wear on knife handle, I'm still learning how to do wear within 3ds max materials. I am using simple UVMap modifiers in combination with vertex painting, AO masking, and blend materials to get some wear. There is a bit of dirt on the handle but I think I have my values to low to make it noticeable. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to add smoothing on top of a procedural bump map which I used for the grooves in the handle but with some experimenting I might be able to figure that out. Thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to take it into account when I do my low poly textures!
  • Darksaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ and if you wanted splattered blood just ndo the photoshop layer and make it very smooth, aka 0 roughness and wow 3d blood wow. Up to you it's just like any other material. I would also try and make the wear on your blade look more believable.The model is looking great:)

For some reason I had it in my head that the blood was supposed to be dried instead of fresh so I was thinking that I needed crazy roughness values to get s rust yet bloody look (I'm bad with words lol). For the low poly textures I definitely plan on making the wear more refined and believable. For the high poly I am using vertex painting and masks to get my scratches, so I don't know for sure what it looks like until I do a test render. For some reason vertex painting in max doesn't seem to be very precise either :shifty:. I'm probably overlooking something in my materials but I often get scratches in places that (according to my vertex painting) should be masked from being scratched.

I'll be following your advice when I start my LP texturing. Thanks!