Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Deus Ex - 3D Environment

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
TheAxiom polycounter lvl 3
I saw some people were making a hallway environment from a Deus Ex concept piece. I decided to give it a go myself.
It's all modular and tillable. Feedback would be great.

fd6dec9c460355d2e4bb2baf97b9b318.jpg

0ff24e33bd7980c531a5d16492e57332.jpg

I can post the process too if anyone is interested, showing all the textures and modular pieces I used. (:

Replies

• Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Just out of curiousity, why are you using Marmoset over something like UE4? I would think that for a modular environment, an actual engine would be a much better option.
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoltZero wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity, why are you using Marmoset over something like UE4? I would think that for a modular environment, an actual engine would be a much better option.

I'm still learning UE4. It was quicker to just plop it in Marmoset and it looked nice too. In due time, this is literally my fifth asset.
  • Mouhsine Adnani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mouhsine Adnani polycounter lvl 7
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work!

Thank you very much! (:
    It's much better than the vehicle asset I made before it, but I still have a long way to go. Hoping to get the hang of PBR and UE4 for my following assets.

This is the concept art I worked from

k6QEw4i.jpg

And here's the modular list

8jjGMaj.jpg
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Broken into modular pieces makes it look pretty neat, good work Axiom. I love it greatly.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Good attempt but textures have too much noise on them. Noise for the sake of just having noise is not good, you want to focus your grundge on hindges, edges, and tipically where two 90 degree angle surfaces meet, and that's it. Leave the other surfaces breath by having nothing on them.

Also, all your edges are very tight, in the concept everything looks nice and smooth, whereas in your execution most edges look razor sharp.

http://artforgames.com/guide-bevels/
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    [HP] hit the nail on the head with critique. Also do not be afraid to use more tri's! Its tough to watch a lot of artists these days try to look efficient by using the absolute least amount of tri's. Yes, being efficient is nice, but the tech in engines and hardware has gotten to the point where a bevel or two on main edges is absolutely okay. Soften edges in both your HP and your LP and do not be afraid to have softer shapes like large sweeping cylindrical corners and such like the concept.

Id say 2k tries PER mod piece is perfectly acceptable. Especially for a port piece. Show wire frames to show you are using the topology for visual quality, yet still being efficient.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Add3r wrote: »
    2k tries PER mod piece is perfectly acceptable.

Im curious, what engine and what system are you aiming for, with those specs? Or are you talking purely portfolio stuff?

And wow, feedback from HP! Listen to this guy!
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Extremely helpful advice, thank you HP! (:
    The reason I didn't bevel the edges is because I've found that it messes up the smoothing groups on flat faces where the topology isn't perfectly clean. For example if that flat surface is sharing a smoothing group with the bevel, so that it has a nice smooth corner, the flat surface ends up kind of rounded looking and you can see the topology sometimes going funky.

Any advice on that when doing efficient topology that isn't just clean high poly stuff?
    [HP] wrote: »
    Good attempt but textures have too much noise on them. Noise for the sake of just having noise is not good, you want to focus your grundge on hindges, edges, and tipically where two 90 degree angle surfaces meet, and that's it. Leave the other surfaces breath by having nothing on them.

Also, all your edges are very tight, in the concept everything looks nice and smooth, whereas in your execution most edges look razor sharp.