Home General Discussion

Salary In Montreal

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
melong polycounter lvl 14
Hi guyz,

I don't know if this question has been asked specifically but i didn't find anything about it when searching.

I recently had an offer from a company based in Montreal.
From what i have now and the information i could get, i find this is a rather low offer but i really have no idea what money my profile can make over there.

So i'm a generalist game artist since almost 8 years mainly on mobile phones. I do really various tasks from concept, 2D to 3D, animation with a main focus on dynamic stuff like rigging, animation, FX, shaders, tech art (i can code in CG/GLSL, C#, Python) etc...

The salary i have been offered is 45k$ CAD a year.

It would be really helpful if some of you had some numbers to throw around in relation with my background and in the area of montreal.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• shaderfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaderfx polycounter lvl 9
    $45k is low for Montreal (for your experience/skills...going by only what you said, not being able to verify). Like Hermit said, it is on the top-end of junior pay.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    you could also try pages like "Glassdor" to get an insight.
    Good side - would be nice, if more people give some anonymous insight
    about salarys and reviews!
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I left you a PM. I didn't feel comfortable posting about my past salary in Montreal publicly. I've got less than 3 years of experience and that number sounds kinda low to me.
  • Clos3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    I live and been working in MTL my whole life, 45k is a Junior salary.For 8years of experieces, as you said, is low.

A standard offer for your level will be 2-3week vacation and at least 55-60K.

This is standard for mid to AAA studio.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    even 55-60k still seems a bit low for 8 years experience, but then again most companies will lowball you. 45k is pretty laughable, especially if its a larger company making you an offer. but also, depends on the strenght of your portfolio. get ready to be ass raped by taxes here.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    You should check an online Canada salary calculator that'll factor in taxes and maybe cost of renting.

If you're outside Canada, familiarize yourself with the tax rates. It's different between provinces. Hopefully you can find a realistic balance as far as your expectations are concerned between quality of life (vibrant vs boring but cheap city, for example) and job benefits (so-so salary but working at brand name studio, etc.).
  • melong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melong polycounter lvl 14
    @Hermit: Yes my website is not really up to date, i should work on that actually :)

The problem is i didn't spent 8 years to work on the same field so my skillset is scattered across a lot of different areas and that might reflect on my portfolio.
    I only shifted recently (a couple of years) toward more technical stuffs like FX and shaders. I learned C# also to be able to build dynamic effects by myself without the help of a programmer.
    It proved to be really helpful in my actual company but i guess being so scattered does not help me much if i want to move to other companies.

Anyway thank you guyz for the informations. That is really valuable.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    It really depends on the studio and the position. People that mentioned their salaries to me were between 42 and 60. You can live comfortably with 45k for sure.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I came here when I was already a Senior so I can't speak for certain.

But 30-35k as entry level seems to be pretty standard.
    Juniors go as high as $50k.

Intermediates go from 50-65k

Seniors/Leads start around 65k and go as high as they are valuable (A few senior character artists around town were pushing $160k, but they are very well known 'names').
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    160k as a character artist?!?! Why am I not in Canada?!?!?!
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Hazardous wrote: »
    160k as a character artist?!?! Why am I not in Canada?!?!?!

Maybe he was art lead or something like that...
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond wrote: »
    Maybe he was art lead or something like that...

Headhunted!

Many big studios there, if you're a stud they'll outbid each other to get you. Happened before.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Tax ischoking here. Dont get blinded by big raw Number.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    xvampire wrote: »
    Tax ischoking here. Dont get blinded by big raw Number.

Yup, expect to have 35% of your salary to vanish before it gets to you. Sales tax is about 15%.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    fonfa wrote: »
    Yup, expect to have 35% of your salary to vanish before it gets to you. Sales tax is about 15%.

pffffff 35% thats nothing.
    try living in soviet europe
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    55 would seem a bit more fair to me purely from the info you've given us, but you know, it's extremely hard to judge. I can just second that even on 45 you can survive quite all right especially if you're single. But it doesn't mean that you shouldn't seek what you feel is fair compensation.

Glassdoor is really helpful here or you can just apply to every other company in Montreal and see if they will offer you something better than that :)

Best of luck mate!
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver wrote: »
    I can just second that even on 45 you can survive quite all right especially if you're single. But it doesn't mean that you shouldn't seek what you feel is fair compensation.

There are two income taxes, look at this site http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

There's Federal: 22% for under $87K (2014 tax rate)

Then there's Provinical: Quebec's rate 20% http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoyen/impots/rens_comp/taux.aspx

44% plus I dunno, some other bullshit cuts like pension and health insurance (you gotta find out if these'll apply to you), that'll leave you what...around $25K net. Maybe half your monthly pay will go to rent alone unless you like to share wiith roomies.

Like I said, balance your expectations with reality. Opportunity could be a stepping stone to bigger pay in another North American studio. But you may want to delay your desire to buy toys for at least one dev cycle.

Live on poutine! It's good over there.