Home General Discussion

Need some advice on a new work laptop

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
So it appears that I'm getting a job at a new studio.
The lead artist told me over phone that they don't have static workstations so I'll have to pick a suitable laptop instead. I don't think it's going to be a major issue because the graphics that they do are for mobile games developed in Unity. But I will need a powerful laptop that is capable of supporting Photoshop and Maya without lag.

So I would need some advice, help and recommendations on specs to look for - or even what brand and model to choose.

Some requirements that I have:
17" screen
Dedicated graphics
Strong CPU - at least a modern quad-core
8+ GB of system RAM
SSD drive
Numpad
Windows 7 (Win 8 is okay if all other specs compensates)

Any experts out there? :)

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I know you pay for it but Macbook Pro all the way. Build quality is super important to me in a laptop. Macbook trackpads are the only trackpads I can actually model with too. I have a Win7 partition on my computer. With Maya, Photoshop, 3D Coat, ZBrush, Unity, Marmoset, and now Unreal 4 all on OsX I only use Win for dDo/nDo and xNormal.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    http://www.msimobile.com/level2_productlist.aspx?id=6

I've got one of the MSI GS70 laptops. I use it for teaching game art and animation. I recommend MSI pretty highly. There are only a couple of issues for me.

There is no Windows key on the left side. (Which I use a lot.)
    The Home and End keys are FN buttons. (But I just turn off Num Lock and use the number pad when I'm scripting.)
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff: Modelling on a trackpad sounds like a real PITA tbh :D

monster: Those are some really nice laptops. GS70 StealthPro-212 seems really robust - something that doesn't have to be replaced after a year.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Why would you do power-intensive work on a Macbook? You could get something from Asus, or any number of other windows-based laptops that are way stronger and cost less. Does a Macbook even have dedicated graphics?
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Why would you do power-intensive work on a Macbook?
    Build quality is super important to me in a laptop.

As someone who has had to repair countless laptop stress breaks I can attest to this.
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Does a Macbook even have dedicated graphics?

Yes you can get one with a GeForce GT 750M

Only problem with your recommendation, Jeff, is they don't have a 17" model.

Price differences don't seem too huge, it seems like the cost of machined aluminum vs injection molded plastic rather than an Apple tax.
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    I have a lenovo y500 with 650m sli its quite nice actually. Power brick is quite large and the support is terrible but generally its a nice laptop
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i would also go macbook pro. but modelling with a trackpad? just get a mouse and a decent size USB keyboard and a standalone 24-inch-monitor while you're at it. 17-inch is still tiny for 3D, especially with a convoluted interface like maya's.

and for mobile i doubt you'll need super-strong processors nor GPU, these things just tend to run annoyingly hot. the discrete GPU of the MBP will do fine.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah lack of a 17 inch stinks. I don't mind the 15 inch honestly. Took some time to get used to it to be honest.

I had an Asus laptop and a Lenovo in the past. The Lenovo was cheap and a powerhouse. But it was giant and felt like a kids toy. Also with Windows machines I've had issues in the past just closing the lid and throwing it in my backpack. With the Macbook I never shut it off. I just close the lid all the time.

Yes modeling with the trackpad is bonkers. I normally connect up a mouse. But stuck in an airport or at relatives house for the weekend with no mouse. I can barely move on any Asus or Lenovo trackpad. The Apple one is very responsive and works well with multi-touch.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    The MSI GS70 Stealth Pro -laptops doesn't seem to be available in Sweden. I found this though: http://www.pricerunner.se/pi/27-2963650/Baerbara-datorer/ASUS-Rog-G750JS-T4094H-produktinformation
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I've been looking for a legit laptop workstation as well.

Regarding Macs: they operate fine as a PC? I'd probably just install bootcamp on it and be in Windows mode all the time.

Are there any drawbacks to that?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    This is mine:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-NP700G7C-S01US-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B006MX0WHU"]Amazon.com : Samsung Series 7 Gamer NP700G7C-S01US 17.3-Inch Laptop : Notebook Computers : Computers & Accessories[/ame]
    I don't have a single complaint about it. It's faster than my workstation, build quality is great, nothing bad ever happened to it.
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    +1 to MSI. had mine for almost a year and a half I believe and no problems. Though my particular build is out dated and doesn't have SSD and sadly comes with windows 8 :P.

Mine also has seen a lot of physical stress. Like sitting on fabrics while the laptop basically cooks itself a new normal. Working in hot rooms, Constant lugging to and fro and constant rotating 360 degrees of the object has occurred as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152400

Only thing I don't like is the weight. But it's to be expected. Charge life is sub par and bloat ware comes all over the windows.
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    If build quality and resolution is important to you, I'd definately go with Macbook pro. I've had a heavy clunky powerful Asus Rog gaming laptop before, its just a burden to carry around.
  • tupwick
    +1 for MacbookPro Retina if you can settle for 15inch.
    I run mine exclusively with Win8 (not even bootcamped) and the reason i use win8 instead of 7 is because on a retina resolution screen you will want for better window scaling which win8 is finally trying to do more of in 8.1 due to the large variation of screen sizes that are appearing on laptops and a push for QHD.
    The drivers supplied by apple bootcamp work without any issues from a single installer no headaches whatsoever.
    The build quality of these laptops is second to none and on the upper end of the 15inch you still get a nvidia card and a nice designation of 16gb ram.
    Get to know the variations of the Haswell processors and you'll see they are all strong on mac. you do get higher variations on 17inch gaming laptops same for the nvidia card you'll acquire but those things arent built to nearly the same spec, when it comes to controlling heat, they are louder, hotter and their exhausts are on the underside requiring table use.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah they run fine as a Win machine. I've had a few people I know get them (like tupwick did too) just to run as Windows machines.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Isaiah they run fine as a Win machine. I've had a few people I know get them (like tupwick did too) just to run as Windows machines.

I had a mid 2010 one and it got a bit hot for my liking. In addition, under the Windows OS, the battery only lasted ~2 hours (something about the GPU not switching). Maybe they fixed that now? I felt it was kind of a waste and sold it for a Lenovo W530. The W530 is a bit thicker/heavier but the price/performance is much better. But it's 15" so not exactly what the OP wants.

Has anyone used the Razer Blade Pro? Spec wise, it looks very similar to the macbook proa and has a 17" screen. (Quad Core 2.4, 16GB ram, 860M, 17" 1920x1080, 0.88 inches thin, 6.5 lbs.
    http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro

Hmm, the Razer Blade (non-pro) also looks pretty good. It trades the 860M for a 870M, although 8GB instead of 16GB, a 14.0" 3200x180 screen. .7" thin, 4.5lbs.

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade