Home General Discussion

I'm confused, I want to ask something

aranis
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
aranis polycounter lvl 8
I'm using Cinema 4D for create environment meshes for games and using Zbrush,Photoshop,xNormal. I'm 17 and i want to be environment artist.I want to ask for Cinema 4D is good for game modelling? If i modelled a asset in 3Dsmax,Maya or Cinema 4D this meshes in similar in game engine. I think i use Cinema 4D always.What do u think?

Samples of my environments

SoO2.jpg

1390565_1413380595561034_1039439082_n.jpg

1655994_1440268646205562_1952258255_n.jpg

3388984_orig.png
2167473_orig.png

1395350_1413379215561172_629145663_n.jpg

1457759_1413379232227837_143659061_n.jpg

1461564_1413379272227833_2123288894_n.jpg

Replies

• Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Cinema's used largely for motion graphics and by graphic designers because it's very easy to get clean results out of the box. There's absolutely no reason you couldn't use C4D, but a game studio is far more likely to use either Maya or Max. You'll want to invest time learning one of them at some point, because they can be a bit of a leap from C4D in how they do things. (At least it was when I made the switch years ago.)
  • aranis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aranis polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, i know 3Dsmax have more modifier than Cinema 4D i can use 3Dsmax and know max's interface etc. Is this enough?
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    All modeling programs have a basic foundation. Any program will allow you to learn enough to turn out some decent models.

Switching from one to another will be easier once you master one.

There is no perfect program, they each have the pros and cons.

I believe that Cinema 4D has superior composite tools, while 3dsMax has a great modeling set and Maya has a better animation core. Modo does some really nice SubD...etc, etc...
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    aranis wrote: »
    Yeah, i know 3Dsmax have more modifier than Cinema 4D i can use 3Dsmax and know max's interface etc. Is this enough?

Yup, as long as you're not completely lost, you should be fine.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Mdotstrange is currently teaching himself how to make a game in Unity using C4D. He's been documenting his journey so far on his blog, including useful resources he's discovered: http://mysteriousdollfilm.blogspot.ca/

Don't be turned off by his art style, he has deep experience using C4D from making his one-man feature animations. And he loves sharing his knowledge.
  • Urzaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    I used Cinema 4D for game art production, (our lab started using it before we knew better on recommendation from a designer/motion graphics guy) and while there are things I like about it, we're trying to transition to using Maya as we get more serious.

One of the bigger problems is not enough people using Cinema, especially for games. If you want to find a quick answer to a game art problem for Maya or Max, you'll usually find tons of answers. For Cinema I'm more likely to find a tutorial on Mograph effects, or maybe nothing. Combined we know a lot about Cinema modelling knowledge, so this is less of a problem now, but is still frustrating. Especially since I can't speak German.

Just in general Maya/Max have more support, in terms of compatibility, plugins, learning resources, etc. As has been mentioned studios are likely to expect you to use one of those programs, so that's why I've been trying to make the transition to Maya, so I sort of know what I'm doing. :/ Most of my stuff is Zbrush+3DCoat anyway.

Seems you know how to 3D model, though, and whether you keep using Cinema or transition over to another program, as long as you keep learning that's really what matters.
  • aranis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aranis polycounter lvl 8
    I'm very good at C4D's interface and modelling , unwrapping, modifiers etc. ,I don't have issues, is this issue for the forever use C4D for modelling?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ^ As mentioned, the overwhelming share of the games industry is using either Max or Maya, so you will run into problems fitting in at some point.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some guys on our art outsourcing team use Cinema 4D and I hate it. It's doing something to their exports and we have to reset the normals each and every time we get assets from them.
    Their scale is all fucked up too, but I think that's more their problem than Cinema 4D.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    We used to use c4d to develop mobile games but it is limited in its toolset, the toolset in c4d is really powerful but unfortunately misses basic things that we need as game developers eg. good vertex colour and alpha editing tools, good workflow with 2 uv maps etc etc. Our whole studio has moved across to maya and although its got a slightly messy ui and crashes a lot on mac it does offer a much better toolset.