Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sthlm Central Station WIP

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Connecta polycounter lvl 7
Hi!
So I have set out to make an abandoned/apocalyptic Stockholm Central Station in UE4 for various reasons - but mainly because I haven't done any environments before (been doing more stylized characters). Been working on this scene for a couple of days now.

As I'm new to enviornments and UnrealEngine I'll gladly take criticism and feedback.

To begin with I'll mainly do one "frame" and fill it, and after that I will do the rest.

So this is the scene,
qAR3aDD.jpg

And this is how it's looking at the moment, currently 50,232 tris (I have no idea how many is acceptable for a scene:))
QIO0c7w.png
YLiUCo6.png

The bark-material is currently taken from Epic's Demo, I'll do one when I get time later on.

One problem at the moment is that I really want the screens to have electricity - yet I still want the apocalytic setting.

Replies

• Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a first environment this is looking pretty great so far! However there are a few conflicting things. Now I'm no scientist but I'm pretty sure trees grow towards sunlight, and require it to grow. having the tree grow from darkness (like in your first shot) is just unrealistic. One way to rectify this is maybe open up the ceiling a lot more to let some light in (as if the room caved in). This will make it more believable that plant-life can grow in the environment.

IMO having the signs still lit with electricity and then having these trees that by the looks of them have taken decades to grow, just doesn't really fit together well. Apocalyptic scenes are always fun, but unless you can figure out a way to incorporate why there is still power years after "the collapse" it would be better for your scene to pick on or the other.

I hope this helps, sorry if I came off harsh, that's not my intention, but when creating an environment you've gotta constantly be thinking about if this was real? what would it look like? I can't stress this enough use A LOT of different reference.

Anyway good luck! Keep at it, you've got a really great start!
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Ghostman511 - you're right:) Guess I focused too much on the details and forgot the big picture.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    haha, I love it, as a stockholmer and as a post apocalypse geek. but those trees you made are about 300-400 years old =P plus there is a subway system down there to, so those trees did not just grow from under ground, but also through a whole system of tunnels, tracks and floors. that is quite impressive

as Ghostman mentioned, you really need to think of a story for what happened, hong long ago it happened and why.

anways, good luck! I hope you keep going with this thing :D
  • modebloggen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modebloggen polycounter lvl 9
    Oh, nice scene! And as a guy that took the train to/from T-centralen all winter, those signs of yours look pretty damn accurate with every train being cancelled;)
    I like that the electricity is still working, but I agree on what has been said about coherence. Perhaps you could make the place look like people are living there? Some roughed up bunk beds, camp fires, generators etc. That is if you have the time/even want to!
    N
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice, @lotet and @modebloggen - I agree that the trees were kinda off. I were thinking the same thing about a more hobo-esque style, I think it will fit better for this scene:)

Update: (sorry for the bad light^^)
    DF1z222.png

I will have to damage the floor more and the hole to make it reasonable that a train could fall down in it. and the train-texture will be redone, just did an auto-dDo (yeah, I know) to get a quick result.
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a bit preoccupied but I've gotten some work done at least - The generator's done, fixed texture on the train (not done yet) and some smaller props (chairs and trashcans). The lightning is too bright at the moment, so that the PNG wouldn't kill it again...

t7BPAxP.png

I begin to realize that this project was a bit much for my current skill, feels like I'm fighting more versus Unreal Engine than I'm spending on modelling and whatnots (should've learned how to use PBR from the begining instead). Too late to quit now;) Will begin demolishing the room now

Do you guys know how to change the textures LOD-distances? It changes LODs abit quick imo...
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Starting to look really cool! GOod call switching out the trees. And, please don't forget to add in the Burger King behind the camera ;)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    hey, looks pretty cool! its a good scene, it really is. but again, think about the logic behind it! how did they get that train up there? I think the scene is really cool, but I think you should drop the use of a real location to be honest. its hurting you more then its helping you.

when you recreate a real location its reeaaally important that you stay true to that location, otherwise its just a "waste". I say keep going, I like the train turned into a home idea, but ditch the central station.
  • Connecta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The logic behind the train might be a bit on the far side, but there's 2 tracks nearby, 30-40 meters forward from the kamera and another 4 tracks 100-150meters (ish?) to the right so I imagined that it somehow derailed and just happened to get here. But yes, I agree with you - the whole real-location-part was waay harder than I'd thought it be, should've gone for a imaginative location.

I think I'll call it quits, I've learned more than enough from this piece - might do some minor touchups, but I'm itching to do more organic models and learn PBR:3

This is how it looks at the moment (minus the .png-konversion)
    TwRuRMI.png