Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Flooded Subway

!CRITIQUE REQUESTED!

Hi there! I just finished the environement I work for the past month.

Here is a fly trough:

https://vimeo.com/94793567

And some screenshots:

v0Cgqff.jpg
r9yAMog.jpg
oMKy0az.jpg
ItmRpat.jpg
QByMhMo.jpg
t6jBsLO.png

I used parallax corrected cubemaps and my loosy implementation of RememberMe's PBR from S

Replies

• SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Spooky.
    Awesome job though!
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    it looks pretty sexy, the only thing i'm having an issue with is the lighting in your second shot. Its too dark to me, i mean, it may just be my screen, or the screen you worked on was just easier to see... but either way, at least for me, I'm losing a lot of the view of smaller objects and the lighting makes them meld into the ground. I think if you decided to, just bump up the lighting in that spot a VERY small amount, just enough to make the silhouettes pop against the background light of that shot. thats just my opinion though.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Agreed with luge, other than that it's a seriously nice environment!
  • KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    This looks great! I love the depth and details, it's pretty creepy! The fire in the barrel really adds a sense of presence to the scene, and the dripping water everywhere is a nice (and eerie) contrast.

Only two things which I think could use a bit of improvement: the first being the flickering lights. It's a great idea, but in it's current implementation, it reminds me more of a strobe light than the creepy "you're about to be murdered" type of light. The flickering and flashing is too rapid, in my opinion.

The second thing, also lighting based, is the long fluorescent tube-bulb type fixtures. The round light pattern they are casting looks like the light should be coming from two spot lights, not one long bulb. It looks like the housing they are in has a straight edge, so having the two rounded light patterns doesn't make any sense, visually.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    I think the walls in a lot of areas look bare. You could certainly add some graffiti, posters, etc. to give some more detail.
  • Kyuzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    I think the walls looks like made of steel, not bricks, or they are supposed to be keramic tiles?
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    This looks great :) Maybe add some clutter in the Train, also some newspapers/cans on the floor through the subway? Or maybe it was just build and never used...anyway, Keep it up!
  • hypersomniac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

@luge
    The screenshot was taken when the light was flickering and was not at full power. I made another screen and updated the original post. But I agree it's a bit too drak. I may fix that later.

@KrisLW
    The flickering is subtle as the reflections are statics and switching of the lights won't shut of the reflection. I could change the flickering rate though.
    I may fix the neon lights too.

@Kaine123
    I wanted to avoid human presence as much as possible and keep the scene ghostly. But I may also add more detail like broken tiles and non human signs.

@Kyuzo
    They are for sure ceramic tiles.

@Rhoutermans
    I'm taking note. :)