Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned room Unreal 4

Replies

• luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    well, i guess i'd say, a way to make it feel more like its abandoned... is to give it a reason to be abandoned, story wise. right now it looks like a perfectly good home to live in, so someone just up and leaving doesn't make much sense. and if you don't want to go with something like last of us style abandoned, you can always go with like a war-time, or maybe a fight happened and theres some blood on the floor with a knife or a gun, just something to give it a reason as to why it would be abandoned.
  • David3D.The
    I like that idea, I'll try to think of ideas to show a struggle and maybe in the final asset I'll break the mirror or write something on it.

Thanks for the inspiration. ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    I kind of like the mystery, whatever caused it to become abandoned doesn't always need to be explained within that scene. Maybe some old guy lived there and he died but his rent was being paid automatically and as long as the place was current no one was going in there.

Places stay pretty well preserved as long as the weather barriers hold up. As soon as they start to break down then places start to quickly deteriorate.

Whatever the reason, it doesn't always have to be explained. When things get abandoned what is left behind doesn't always make sense or need to be explained in every aspect of a persons life. Perfectly answering all of the questions that someone might have about a scene kind of ends the discussion. Some of my favorite art leaves me with more unanswered questions.

I can't tell you how many amateur portfolios I've looked at where the only detail or interest in the scene is a big slick of blood, a chalk outline or crime scene tape. It goes hand in hand with horrible textel density and simple objects being unwrapped to multiple 4096 sheets. It always feels like a cheap or desperate move. How do I spice up this drab and highly flawed scene, I know buckets of red blood and crime scene tape... groan... If it's subtle and not the only interesting thing it can work but it does get used a lot and not by the right type of people so be careful.

That's just my opinion. Take it or leave it.