Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi Mech

aaronkaminer
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
aaronkaminer polycounter lvl 5
This is another portfolio piece I am trying to wrap up this week. I finished the highpoly.. now on to the retopo.. fun fun. Hope you like!
The idea I think is more along the lines of robocop inside..where it is just a head.. and maybe some supporting organs kinda built I to a suit.. no actual body. Perhaps it is even an android head?? Hope this clears up the functionality question. :) Also the unit itself is a heavy lifting unit like the one in aliens.. as one of our fellow polycounters put it.

1_zps424d89a6.jpg
3_zpsd48cbc4e.jpg
4_zps609f82d1.jpg
2_zps20f5ae7e.jpg

Replies

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    There are some really nice shapes going on but as far as function, where would the person fit?
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    The arms are the concern for me if you want to use them you probably need to break your arms or have flexible bones
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea I think is more along the lines of robocop.. it is a head.. and maybe some supporting organs kinda built I to a suit.. no actual body. Hope this clears up the functionality question. :)
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    You've done a great job with the shape and lines of this piece and I'm looking forward to seeing how well the bakes come out.

But as Robeomega pointed out the arm are not practical but they do have a creepy look to it. Looking at the shape and positionof the arms, I would say this dude more likely be found in a warehouse or factory as it has an Aliens 'power loader' sort of vibe rather than a crime fighter.
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array wrote: »
    You've done a great job with the shape and lines of this piece and I'm looking forward to seeing how well the bakes come out.

But as Robeomega pointed out the arm are not practical but they do have a creepy look to it. Looking at the shape and positionof the arms, I would say this dude more likely be found in a warehouse or factory as it has an Aliens 'power loader' sort of vibe rather than a crime fighter.

This is exactly what is intended to be. :) I guess I should have explained more... I will update the header in a while with a better description. It is supposed to be a heavy loader.. type mech. Just like the one in aliens. I was just referring to the inner mechanics of it. It not supposed to be a whole body.. rather just a head.. maybe even a android head (again like in aliens ) who knows!:) thanks for pointing that out. Now i see where the confusion comes from! I hope the bakes turn out great! I am debating on splitting it up into several 2k maps. or making it all on huuuge map for easier detail texturing. I will be rendering this one in marmoset.. so I am open for suggestions. This is not a practical unit.. just a presentation piece.. so it will be mapped and retopo as a static mesh. Also feel free to check out my other thread on this portfolio. Another scene .. in ue4!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133483
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has been quite a challenge to retopo.. but almost done! Should bake out nicely. I kept it pretty tight.
    1_zps8ec3084e.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Might want to give credit to the person who created the concept.
    It's a bit to similar to just be coincidence.

On the low, I think you can collapse some segments in the socket (since this will just be covered up) for the arm,and redistribute those triangles to the collar.
    http://www.fausto3d.com/
    PaintOver_Rev-copy.jpg
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    Might want to give credit to the person who created the concept.
    It's a bit to similar to just be coincidence.

On the low, I think you can collapse some segments in the socket (since this will just be covered up) for the arm,and redistribute those triangles to the collar.
    http://www.fausto3d.com/
    PaintOver_Rev-copy.jpg

Thanks so much! This is the reference. I asked permission ages ago.. but since the death of cghub I have lost the concept. :( Proper recognition for the concept! Thanks again.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    This is exactly what is intended to be. :) I guess I should have explained more... I will update the header in a while with a better description. It is supposed to be a heavy loader.. type mech. Just like the one in aliens. I was just referring to the inner mechanics of it. It not supposed to be a whole body.. rather just a head.. maybe even a android head (again like in aliens ) who knows!:) thanks for pointing that out. Now i see where the confusion comes from! I hope the bakes turn out great! I am debating on splitting it up into several 2k maps. or making it all on huuuge map for easier detail texturing. I will be rendering this one in marmoset.. so I am open for suggestions. This is not a practical unit.. just a presentation piece.. so it will be mapped and retopo as a static mesh. Also feel free to check out my other thread on this portfolio. Another scene .. in ue4!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133483

Ah right, well I follow you now mate. If you are putting through Marmoset, perhaps it may be best to split it into 2 maps, one for the suit itself and one for the head. That way you can go to town with the awesome PBR and skin shaders.

As it stands now the mesh is turning to quite a beast :) but you should get a fantastic bake. Keep up the hard work!
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array wrote: »
    Ah right, well I follow you now mate. If you are putting through Marmoset, perhaps it may be best to split it into 2 maps, one for the suit itself and one for the head. That way you can go to town with the awesome PBR and skin shaders.

As it stands now the mesh is turning to quite a beast :) but you should get a fantastic bake. Keep up the hard work!

Thanks again! I def working on this one over time. lol But I hope for good results. I think I will take your advice and do the head separate for sure. Anyone know of a killer scifi gun that hasn't been done yet?? I need a final piece for my portfolio!
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Streaming in 30 mins
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am getting ready to texture this thing. I know the original concept is mainly white with some yellow. I am considering other color schemes. I am thinking black and yellow and some galvanized steel. Yore thoughts?
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low Poly is almost completed. Redistributed around the arms and cleaned up some areas. Just the hands left.
    1_zpsb2fed14c.jpg
    2_zpsdecad11b.jpg
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well its done! Hope you like. Thanks for all of the feedback. Please keep in mind this is a fairly "loose" interpretation of the concept.
    screenshot000_zps64da94ec.png
    screenshot003_zps1ce35db1.png
    screenshot001_zpsdae3bc18.png
    screenshot002_zps9b7ff1b9.png
    screenshot005_zps3764041a.png
    screenshot008_zps1d55843c.png
    screenshot009_zps89ea663e.png
    screenshot010_zpsdc241e46.jpg
    screenshot009_zpsc523cb22.jpg
    screenshot011_zpsbefa712b.jpg
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    pretty nice, Id lower down the details from Ddo tho and would make my own
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    The textures are totally failing the high poly you did. There is hardly any material definition and it just looks like AO thrown on a flat diffuse. This might be because you need to put it in a better renderer. What did you use to render this out?

The face could really use some attention. It looks like the eyes are the same color as the skin. The is no changes in color in the face either. The metal wear is too consistent and barely noticeable. I don't know what the majority of the mech is made out of which isn't what you would want. Sorry for being harsh, but you have a nice high poly to stop where you are at now isn't doing your work justice.
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ sixtyeight and stevston89: thanks for the input. I will try to add some further detail. I was trying to only apply detail that would really occur in real life. Most of this was actually done by hand -.- lol i only used ddo for a small part. Also, i didnt want to stray tooo far away form the original concept.. it appears to be mainly a smooth plastic with a few metal facings which is what i went for. I will try to adjust some of things you guys mentioned. Thanks again.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it's looking good but I was going to say something about the material definition and separation until Stevston89 beat me to it! The materials are all reading the same to me. Maybe try and exaggerate them more?

Maybe it's just your lighting setup again? :)
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    it appears to be mainly a smooth plastic with a few metal facings which is what i went for.

To add to this, the material you have doesn't quite read like smooth plastic. If you look at the concept, the specular highlights of the plastic are much more pronounced. It could be the lighting you have setup, or it could be the maps. Some examples of super clean plastic.

LOG_M_V470_BLUE.jpg

155041.jpg

Edit: I couldn't quite put my finger on it before. It looks like a Matte White Vinyl wrapped around the armor on your guy right now.

Matt-white-SLR.jpg
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo wrote: »
    Yeah it's looking good but I was going to say something about the material definition and separation until Stevston89 beat me to it! The materials are all reading the same to me. Maybe try and exaggerate them more?

Maybe it's just your lighting setup again? :)

Thanks again. Yeah, I guess I need to exaggerate them a bit. I wanted to be completely realistic with the materials.. they are accurate. But apparently not pleasing to the eye. Perhaps a video turntable shows them off better?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I would imagine it's probably just your lighting setup. What are you rendering it in?
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AHHH I FOUND THE PROBLEM!! im such a nob right now... I had my maps backs wards (wrong slots) (marmoset) now it looks a lot better to me. I will post more pics in a few mins. Thanks for pointing this out guys!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    NIICE!! As said by others, the HP looks awesome but the setup above wasn't doing it justice.
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5 mins for some more renders.. so glad i posted on here.. lol
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better renders. A better light set up also. Hopefully this will fetch a better response. lol
    screenshot022_zpsee6dcfa3.jpg
    screenshot026_zpsa6d1cea0.jpg
    screenshot025_zps0f95c6a1.jpg
    screenshot024_zps05339e57.jpg
    screenshot023_zpsb30f8059.jpg
    screenshot028_zpsd73259bc.jpg
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ps the face is not real skin. its a fabricated face. :)
  • ShockInfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was about to say that your textures aren't doing your modeling justice.

I feel that it looks better but around the leg area, it still feels flat in terms of texture.
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am tired of researching! Will someone pleeeeeeeeease tell me how to turn my image sequence (rendered form marmoset) into a video file?? and why doesnt the newest version of marmoset (2.03) render videos??
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    i dont have marmoset but probably to avoid all the issues that come from implementing video and let the user compose their own stuff instead. you can do it in after effects or premiere easily by importing it as a sequence or by setting the default image duration to the video framerate. i think photoshop or at least photoshop extended can too.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    after effets, just import it as an image sequence and then render it out. Also the problem with your mech is that the texture is very muddled and looses detail, it's also not very interesting, the model is cool but not the texture nor the lighting, hope this helps.
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do yall recommend I do to spice up the texture? I am willing to give it a try. Also.. I am not too concerned with lighting.. These are just wip shots. I was referring to the reference with the textures. What are some ideas?
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sry for the long time finishing up here. Here is the link to the final renders and proper clay passes of the high poly model on my website. Thanks for all of the feedback!