Home General Discussion

European companies, that use...

[Deleted User]
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
[Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
... Unreal Engine 4
... Houdini Engine (or Houdini for procedural work or any work in games)
... Modo
... Substance Designer
... or all four at once

Are there any? Can you post some names?

Thanks!

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Unreal Engine 4 developers

Lionhead Studios (UK)
    Tequila Works (Spain)
    Ninja Theory (UK)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Unreal Engine 4 Yager probably,
    at Deck 13 one of the tech artists uses Houdini on a regular basis

both studios are in germany
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Climax Studios uses UE4
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Goeddy wrote: »
    both studios are in germany
    What I know from yager development, their studio language is english. So if you don´t speak german, this shouldn´t be a problem :)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubisoft Massive (Malmo, Sweden) and MadAtom Games (Brighton, UK) use Modo.
    Also guessing Yager (Berlin, Germany) are on UE4.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds like you're looking for a procedural-heavy studio. I don't think there's many triple A studios yet that rely heavily on things like that. There's still a lot of bias towards adopting things like that (I'm talking about substance and Houdini).
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Most AAA studios in Europe have at least a few seats of Substance Designer and are using it in a way or another.
    We can't publicly announce who is using Substance extensively on current projects though but I'll be able to give you more details by PM if needed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's all guys? What about smaller companies, maybe they are more willing to experiment with Houdini and Modo?

How you see adoption of Modo beside games industry in your countries? In my country I see many smaller companies that before would jump on 3dsmax instead goind to Modo/Cinema4D now.
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Sounds like you're looking for a procedural-heavy studio. I don't think there's many triple A studios yet that rely heavily on things like that. There's still a lot of bias towards adopting things like that (I'm talking about substance and Houdini).

I do have topic on odForce where I also ask this question once on 2 months, to see how the Houdini Engine adoption is going. I doesn't look like if there was to big change yet. I asked SideEffects about this but they didn't wanted to answer because of NDA's. But I think that it will take another year or more to see any change. The plugins for HEngine are in experimental stage right now and the documentation/pricing was just barely posted.
    Jerc wrote: »
    ...I'll be able to give you more details by PM if needed.

I don't know how it's where you are, but in my country there is couple days free now, so I will not bother you now and send you PM next week. Have fun if you also have work free time now.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Guerrilla Games Amsterdam, have used Houdini on some of their assets as far as I know. I am also aware of a little studio in Finland that works in Modo. Dont remember the name of it though.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Gheromo wrote: »
    I am also aware of a little studio in Finland that works in Modo. Dont remember the name of it though.
    Almost Human (Legend of Grimrock)? Frictional Games (Amnesia, Penumbra) also use it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, so it looks that's all. Thanks for jumping in guys.

I will probably follow the same route with this topic, like with the one I have on odForce, and bump it once on 2 months to see is there a change.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    There are hundreds of studios in Europe using UE4..
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well it looks like the OP is more after studios using procedural asset creation methods. i take it unreal can function as a host in conjunction with houdini?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    i take it unreal can function as a host in conjunction with houdini?

There is still no Houdini Engine implementation for UE4, but you can export FBX from Houdini. And with source code for it, it wouldn't be a problem to create custom exporter or reader for Houdini native file format. There is also Alembic in plans for UE4 that is already in Houdini.

I'm looking at possibility to develop Houdini Engine implementation myself, but
    right now you cannot develop your own implementation with Free version of Houdini and since I don't own Houdini I need to prepare some plan before I will talk to Side Effects. If my plan will be interesting enough for them, they could prepare some licensing possibility for me to allow development.

But I'm waiting with this till I update my computer, because for the first time in 5 years, thanks to heavy UE4 editor, I feel that I need to upgrade my machine to have possibility to work comfortably :D.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys. Couple months have passed. We got fresh and hot Houdini Indie.

Do you know about any new companies that switched, added any of those products to their portfolio? I'm still interested in European companies only.

One modification to my question, lets not focus on game companies only. I know for example that ESRI (GIS mapping company) looked into using Houdini for procedural usage. So if you know companies that use any of those programs (or all at once) for other things (realtime things) I would love to hear about it.