Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student looking for feedback! 3D Model/Texture

Hi! My name is Anika, and I am a current senior expecting to graduate this summer. I am interested in 3D modeling and texturing, and was hoping to get any type of feedback/criticism for my work. I currently am more interested in the cartoony, stylized 3D modeling since I would preferably work for companies that develop educational games. Please feel free to leave any comments and criticism! Thank you!

Here are samples of my work:

Group asset shot
Modeled in Maya. I am building this level environment in Unity.

Futuristic Mobile Unit
Modeled in Maya. Kit bashed. Rendered using Marmoset Toolbag.

Sword and shield
Modeled in Maya. Rendered in Maya.

Glove asset
Modeled and textured in Zbrush4r6.

Creature Model
Modeled and textured in Zbrush4r6; colored in Photoshop CS6.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

-Anika

Replies

• Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    Going down the list:
    Group Asset Shot
    The group shot of assets has a poor cel shading attempt, the models also appear to be very simple shapes with very simple textures. Maybe with a better presentation they would look more appealing, but as of right now it's just a pile of shapes sitting atop a very low resolution, poorly tiled ground texture with what I'm assuming is the default Unity background colour. It needs lighting, a more interesting surrounding, and a fix to the cel-shading. I think what you did was take the original mesh, duplicated it, expanded it out a bit, and then inverted the noormals to get the black outline? I don't know a lot about Unity, but isn't there a toon shader you can use with the program that achieves the desired effect?

Futuristic Mobile Unit
    Materials all read the same. They all appear to be a some sort of lumpy plastic. The glass on the cockpit does not read as glass.
    pRfRdt8.jpg
    Also, think about the purpose of the vehicle. From looking at it, people should be able to tell what its purpose is. I cannot tell if your glider is a military vehicle, a commercial/luxury vehicle, or even a glider for that matter. Use lots of references of actual water gliders/hydrofoils to see how they are put together in order to serve their purpose.

Sword and Shield
    I would say this is your weakest piece. The texture work on these is extremely lazy. All you did was take a tiling texture and placed it into the appropriate UV islands and then used flat colours and overlayed a lumpy texture over them. Your normal maps look like they were created in Crazybump directly from the diffuse. I would start over completely with the textures.

Glove Asset
    Again, the textures and materials need work. The glove and those yellow plates have the same looking material on them. The plating has a looot of scratches and wear and tear in the diffuse, but the plating itself does not look battered at all in terms of lighting bouncing off of dents and grooves that would be left behind from acquiring all those scratch marks. Everything just looks kind of flat.

Creature Model
    Details in diffuse is inconsistent. The antlers look handpainted and like wood, while the fins, neck and head, and parts of the shell have what looks like an overlayed scale and coral texture.
    Just like with the water glider, think about what a sea creature would look like. You're creating what looks like a plesiosaur with a shell, that's fine. But would a creature that lives in the sea really have antlers? If it did have something akin to antlers, I imagine it would be something more like horns that are swept backwards to still allow for a streamlined shape. Also, since it has what appears to be a shell, the head really shouldn't be sticking straight up like that. Sea dwellers are streamlined creatures. They need to be able to slice through the water.
    QhVnPKJ.png

Hope this helped.
  • anikab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren wrote: »
    Going down the list:
    Group Asset Shot
    The group shot of assets has a poor cel shading attempt, the models also appear to be very simple shapes with very simple textures. Maybe with a better presentation they would look more appealing, but as of right now it's just a pile of shapes sitting atop a very low resolution, poorly tiled ground texture with what I'm assuming is the default Unity background colour. It needs lighting, a more interesting surrounding, and a fix to the cel-shading. I think what you did was take the original mesh, duplicated it, expanded it out a bit, and then inverted the noormals to get the black outline? I don't know a lot about Unity, but isn't there a toon shader you can use with the program that achieves the desired effect?

Futuristic Mobile Unit
    Materials all read the same. They all appear to be a some sort of lumpy plastic. The glass on the cockpit does not read as glass.
    pRfRdt8.jpg
    Also, think about the purpose of the vehicle. From looking at it, people should be able to tell what its purpose is. I cannot tell if your glider is a military vehicle, a commercial/luxury vehicle, or even a glider for that matter. Use lots of references of actual water gliders/hydrofoils to see how they are put together in order to serve their purpose.

Sword and Shield
    I would say this is your weakest piece. The texture work on these is extremely lazy. All you did was take a tiling texture and placed it into the appropriate UV islands and then used flat colours and overlayed a lumpy texture over them. Your normal maps look like they were created in Crazybump directly from the diffuse. I would start over completely with the textures.

Glove Asset
    Again, the textures and materials need work. The glove and those yellow plates have the same looking material on them. The plating has a looot of scratches and wear and tear in the diffuse, but the plating itself does not look battered at all in terms of lighting bouncing off of dents and grooves that would be left behind from acquiring all those scratch marks. Everything just looks kind of flat.

Creature Model
    Details in diffuse is inconsistent. The antlers look handpainted and like wood, while the fins, neck and head, and parts of the shell have what looks like an overlayed scale and coral texture.
    Just like with the water glider, think about what a sea creature would look like. You're creating what looks like a plesiosaur with a shell, that's fine. But would a creature that lives in the sea really have antlers? If it did have something akin to antlers, I imagine it would be something more like horns that are swept backwards to still allow for a streamlined shape. Also, since it has what appears to be a shell, the head really shouldn't be sticking straight up like that. Sea dwellers are streamlined creatures. They need to be able to slice through the water.
    QhVnPKJ.png

Hope this helped.

Thank you very much for your detailed critique. I will definitely take everything into consideration!