Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi Gun

aaronkaminer
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
aaronkaminer polycounter lvl 5
This is yet another portfolio piece I am working on. I understand this was in a magazine.. i believe it was made in Modo and then painted over in PS. Not sure.. But i am only using it for a portfolio. Originals done by gavriilklimov.

http://gavriilklimov.deviantart.com/art/Yana-B3E-Compact-rifle-391625104

I am just now starting the low poly. I will port progress. Should only take a few days or so. Hope it turns out nice!

1_zpsb941f195.jpg

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Hey Aaron

Dont want to be the bu-man here, but dont do that subject

Guy doing this is doing really awesome stuff, but in my opinion this is not one of those. The proportions are very strange and do not have any visual balance, it looks like a random kitbash where function follows form and thats bad design.

People looking at your work later, and they will judge you based on his design mainly. Thats the first they see. The aesthetics - the proportions, the colors, the form. Then comes your execution of those.

Also what do you want to accomplish ? His execution of that design is really great, so do you think you can top that ? You will need to show it side by side.
    If yours is not better, whats the point ? Also he got tons of experience, I do not know your skill level, but chances are high that you cannot top his execution of that piece. Also modeling after another 3d model ?

If you want a challenging gun to model, do a MG 42 or something in that line. Got a beautiful design that works for you not against you, and some people can relate and that may even give you some bonus points aswell. Also as its real life based, it can be sold, or used in a game or whatever. You have limited time, choose your subjects wisely.

Thats my 2 cents, hope to help you, but its up to you in the end : )
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronkaminer polycounter lvl 5
    Shrike wrote: »
    Hey Aaron

Dont want to be the bu-man here, but dont do that subject

Guy doing this is doing really awesome stuff, but in my opinion this is not one of those. The proportions are very strange and do not have any visual balance, it looks like a random kitbash where function follows form and thats bad design.

People looking at your work later, and they will judge you based on his design mainly. Thats the first they see. The aesthetics - the proportions, the colors, the form. Then comes your execution of those.

Also what do you want to accomplish ? His execution of that design is really great, so do you think you can top that ? You will need to show it side by side.
    If yours is not better, whats the point ? Also he got tons of experience, I do not know your skill level, but chances are high that you cannot top his execution of that piece. Also modeling after another 3d model ?

If you want a challenging gun to model, do a MG 42 or something in that line. Got a beautiful design that works for you not against you, and some people can relate and that may even give you some bonus points aswell. Also as its real life based, it can be sold, or used in a game or whatever. You have limited time, choose your subjects wisely.

Thats my 2 cents, hope to help you, but its up to you in the end : )

Wow! Thanks a ton for the advice! My intentions here are strictly to show a high level (hopefully) of modeling and texturing skillset. This IS a model.. however.. I believe it is a conceptual model that was painted over in photoshop. (I could be mistaken) I realize the design is very scifi and fantasy at best.. probably not functional by ay means.. but again.. I am simply making this for a porflio piece to show my abiliy to recreate after a concept. I do no know if I can top this model ( it is an excellent render imo) But I will def try to give it a new life in my own way! Maybe my other threads will give some insight on how well I model ( or how bad I model lol) after roughly 8 years exp. I am always looking to imporve my workflow and attention to detail and I thought this would be a great piece to eximplify my own talents. I will consider your input heavily. Does anyone else take this stance? Just curious..