Home Technical Talk

How do you solve cuts in the Uvs?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Amnoon polycounter lvl 3
Hi people. I have been modeling with a classic technique until now and i wonder how do you people solve the problem of the visible cuts in a texture map. This image will explain better what i mean:

oM3EZ4I.png

A simple line it's easy to solve but i have face some model which have a very visible cut and it's very hard to fix it by hand.

There is some kind of metod to solve this issue faster than the traditional way?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    If its a circular shape use cylindrical mapping and use unfold in unwrap, adjust your UVs and then both sides (cut) will align without this issue you are having.

Search Poly Wiki for more know how on how to unwrap properly. Also note SEAMS (cuts) are unavoidable and there are tricks at play to make the effect less noticeable.
  • Amnoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amnoon polycounter lvl 3
    This was just and example of the issue. I just wonder if there is some way to paint with more freedom because when i work i must let less detailed the places near an uv cut to avoid this error and some times this is very anoying. I will take a look to the Poly Wiki, i didn't know this place on the web. Thanks
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can use a projection painter like 3D Coat or Modo or Mudbox ... they will paint smoothly over seams. Of course, you have less control but it might be good to get started that way.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Its polycount wiki mate... look on top right "Wiki" of the page. Though I wont suggest using 3D Coat or Modo or any other tool unless you feel comfy with unwrap itself and know how its working on your model. Sure you ll get away with the problem using these tools but if you will not know how stuff is working it ll be a pain to work in pro industry. If you know what I mean.

Also head on over to 3DMotive and get one of their UVW unwrap videos its load of help.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good UVs will help, we have some good info here on the wiki.
    http://wiki.polycount.net/TextureCoordinates

Painting out seams is always an issue, good UVs help reduce but not eliminate them. Max has a pretty decent 3d paint tool, Viewport Canvas, worth a look.