Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lady Marrow

Hello!

Recently I finished the Anet art test, although it looks like my best work it is still not good enough for the industry or AAA company standards.

So I need to take one big step back and slowly go through the process of making a game ready character. Except this time I want to post my next model step by step on these forums so I can get the comments and critiques each step of the way. Something I should have done a very long time ago but was just to shy or afraid

So lets begin

First of all my friend challenged me to pick a superpower and create a whole character that fits the power. So I chose the ability to control bones (essentially necromancy) but I think this is the perfect opportunity for this.

So my first step is anatomy, I've been told again and again that my bodies lack definition and form

Between the average female body and the superhero body is kind of what I am going for, but not sure if I am on the right track, or if that's a good idea.

No concepts right now but soon I promise.

Front2_Render_zpsaa3abb03.jpg

7 1/2 heads isn't to tall for a superhero right?
Front3_Render_zpse1ee400c.jpg

Angle_Render_zps1c748211.jpg

Back_Render_zpsc1156c0f.jpg

Face_Render_zpsc1b3d9ff.jpg

AngleFace_Render_zps79bc8c17.jpg

Comments and critiques are very welcome I will take all the help and encouragement I can get :D

Replies

• PolyDom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here I made a few corrections to the body, not much of a difference but some stuff like "Clumpyness" and bellow the belly.

Comments critiques? I think I have a decent start so I'll begin with some armor soon.

profile_zpsb3806337.jpg

NewFront_Renders_zps32fe0628.jpg
  • silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall proportional issues are the most obvious. Can you show your refs? Neck too long, upper torso too narrow. Shape on the hips not quite there. Abs are very pronounced. Face is very hard and needs softening and soe of the shapes need moving on the side. Ears too long and start too high. Eyes are almond shaped, check some more reference could be more detailed. Face has a lot of potential and it doesn't need a massive amount of work to fix.
  • PolyDom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the critique I'll begin working shortly, It's nice having the extra pair of eyes to spot my errors.

here are some the reference images I've been using

references_zps03860b2d.jpg

I'll try and keep up the updates today
  • PolyDom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some tweaks and some fix's let me know if I'm heading in the right direction,
    Also made some changes to rendering wip's I hope they look better :D

As always comments and critiques are welcome

4-8-14_Face_Render_zps3a00c7a0.jpg

4-8-14_Render_zps5704195b.jpg
  • MiragentGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiragentGames polycounter lvl 5
    She seems a bit TOO muscular, unless that was your intention.
  • silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meant to reply earlier. Much better, neck is too long, fingers too thick and long. Could do with more bony and muscular structures on torso. Brow is too prominent and blobby. Same with the ears. Eye coudl still do with more reference (tear duct). Jaw too wide and masculine. Forearms are thick. Good progress, much better render!
  • PolyDom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiragentGames thanks I was going for the buff-ish look.

Silvershrimp thank you for the critique most of the stuff I already fixed except the eye part I need to have another look at that.

but I was a little naughty and completely skipped the point of this thread BUT I couldn't help myself and I got really excited when I hit this point that I have to show her off right now so I hope people like it.

final4_zps8969dc01.jpg

So what do you guys like about her and what do you not like about her?
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I think you had some wonky anatomy going on and covering it with armor doesn't make it go away. Her arms are short for one and its pretty noticeable. Her legs from her hips go almost straight down. You need to add that feminine S to it, warrior or not even the buff girls you have in the reference sheet still have it. I still think the pelvic region needed a little tweaking as well to show where the landmark is for the hips.
    Now, the good points are, you have some unique things going on with the armor, but it does look a little too much like a kit bash.
    I think if you are making this a portfolio piece you should take your time and show that you have your basics down. I am still struggling with anatomy but I think by looking at other peoples work a lot and seeing where the mistakes/perfections are helps a lot in my own journey as an artist.
    Keep it up! I am just being nit picky and I'm sure most normal types (non-artists) wouldn't even see any issues.
  • PolyDom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist
    thank you for the critique I think I'm starting to not just see but understand whats wrong with the waist/pelvic to the leg area. It is a slow process studying anatomy I feel like my biggest issue is I'm not registering what I am seeing with anatomy, if that makes sense?

anyways about the arms idk if I agree, they look the perfect length but I'm still young so I could be wrong
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah I might be thrown off by the high heels there and the hands. Wonder if they need to be a bit slenderer and longer fingers?
  • PolyDom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could be but I think I am going to take one huge step back and take it slowly, I guess I just needed that little end result in physical view for motivation.

Anyways I am going back to anatomy right now tho I'm trying to figure out how to connect her body to her head instead of having the 2 separate mesh's but that has proven more difficult than it sounds right now.

Well I got it to connect but Its still highpoly and it wont let me recreate subdivision levels (I used Dynamesh) anyone know how to fix this?
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    With any luck you have either

A) a backup or
    B) a lot of polygroups.

for head to body just dynamesh both and then merge down. If that is messy, I suggest you put it into max, weld the mesh, make a highpoly with both parts and reimport the lowest sub-d with the fused lowpoly.

If you polypaint it, changes are, you gotta cut the head off anyways later to get the details on the diffuse.
  • PolyDom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again, I have been slowly working on her anatomy here is my progress so far, how does she look now?

The changes I have made are towards her hips, legs, chest, arms, fingers, and waist aswell as some changes to her face.

I've also been playing around with materials which is a huge thing that is holding me back so I ask how is this skin looking? Does it look good am I heading in the right direction?

Thank you all for the comments and critiques please keep them coming

style2222_zps12d14d5f.jpg

style22222_zps5ddd989a.jpg

Face_Render2_zps2203f3cf.jpg