[SKETCHFAB]0b6352ece1e5460aa9d84c44c7b7ac5e[/SKETCHFAB]

lawgiver__95_game_asset_by_avikohl-d7dux8l.jpg

lawgiver__95_breakdown_by_avikohl-d7dv0ew.jpg

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    You have lots of poly's which are unneeded in your low poly also lots of things in your texture maps could be overlapped together
    Pictureone_zps5173ca1d.png
    Picturetwo_zpsdbd2c30f.png
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    definitely see some edges that could have been removed to reduce the tris in areas that do not deform. also, you're textures are a tad on the boring side. your normals for the paint on the gun are pretty strong. there also appears to be a shading error here: hYnEimr.jpg

also, just a question, nothing wrong with it... but, if both sides are exactly the same in your texture, then why uv both sides when you can just uv one side and mirror it over so you have more texture space as well.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry this is a bit later it took me a few min to make it.
    lawgiver__95_breakdown_by_avikohl-d7dv0ew_zps22a7f41a.jpg

1) This could be a quarter of the size it currently is
    2) These two could be combined
    3) This could be half the size vertically
    4) This could be cut in half vertically
    5) Same as 3
    6) Same as 4
    7) Same as 4
    8 ) Could be in half horizontally
    9) Could be in half vertically
    10) These can be combined in their respective group
    11) Cut in half vertically again
    12) Vertically again
    13) Annnnnnd vertically again
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "if both sides are exactly the same in your texture, then why uv both sides when you can just uv one side and mirror it over so you have more texture space as well"

Don't worry I got this >: )
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    don't get what you mean? O_o i was just curious why he chose to do what he did O_o
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't get what?
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    why you quoted me and said "Don't worry I got this >:)" I don't get why you quoted my question.

edit: nevermind, thought about it... lack of sleep took me a few...

you were just giving him suggestions on how to make it efficient while keeping the symmetrical sides uved seperately. I'd still suggest uving one and then mirroring it over, its much more efficient.

Ediited again: just realized fully... yeah, now I get exactly what you were referring to, I thought you meant cutting the size, I was thinking that would be terrible because of stretched uvs. but I see that you mean to cut into a seperate shell. but it would be easier to just remove one half entirely (aside from cylindrical objects) and then mirror over.
  • AviKohl3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AviKohl3D polycounter lvl 5
    Wow! Thanks a lot for the expert feedback. Honestly never considered that symmetrical UVs can be overlapped.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    they can only be uved for texture, not in lightmap.
  • aaronkaminer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronkaminer polycounter lvl 5
    I think its looks pretty good for a 1st game model. You definately have some extra polygons you could have gotten rid of. And... yes... for a clean model like yours.. you can mirror the model and have more texture space.. but a lot of times it is also a good idea to map it as you did... esp is you plan to add unique details.. like wear and tear.. or decals. (stickers...etc.) you could work with multiple uv sets and achieve the same result.. either way.. also worth noting.. if you mirrow the mesh, you will have to create a 2nd uv set if you plan to use the model with light mapping. Reason: you can not/should not have overlapping uv shells when baking light maps or you will get wild results. Nice job so far! Keep it up!
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    ^I'd say its good practice to always have 2 uv sets/channels. but thats my opinion.
  • AviKohl3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AviKohl3D polycounter lvl 5
    luge wrote: »
    they can only be uved for texture, not in lightmap.

You mean you don't overlap UVs for normal maps?
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    no, when the uv set for your textures can be overlapped if its going to be the same on both sides, but when it comes to your baked lightmap (this will be in engine, primarily UE3/UE4), this will be your second uv set that you have to make, this one can not overlap. if it does, you will get light artifacting and unnatural and repeating lights on both sides of your gun.