Home General Discussion

suggestions for a new mouse?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
wenglish polycounter lvl 11
my razer deathadder is giving out after about 6 years. its been quite reliable, but i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions or favorite mice. when i got the deathadder i was doing a lot of gaming, but now i do very little gaming and a ton of 3d. are there mice particulary well suited to cg? what about the so called 3d mice?

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I made the switch from razer to the Logitech G600. I can easily say its one of the best mice I have ever used, great for work and play. That said I still recommend using a wacom tablet for 3d work as well as 2d work, much better for the wrist and posture. You start preferring it over a mouse once the strangeness wears away.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DRw7qsxTJ8"]Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse Demo - YouTube[/ame]
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I've been using my Logitech G9x for a long time. The size might not be for everybody but it has been incredibly stable and many people say it is one of the most durable mice out there. I've been using it for about 2 years now without a single issue. It also comes with a weight kit so you can make it heavier if desired and two shells, a "rough" one which makes gripping easier and a "smooth" one that is more comfortable for general web surfing.

It's very similar to the G600 in some ways but personally I can't get over the size of the G600 which is what killed that mouse for me.

EDIT: The important thing is to just be comfortable with your mouse. Since you've had a deathadder for such a long time, you might want to consider just picking up another one.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Logitech MX518
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
    NegevPro wrote: »
    EDIT: The important thing is to just be comfortable with your mouse. Since you've had a deathadder for such a long time, you might want to consider just picking up another one.

This. I stocked up on Razer Diamondbacks a while ago and have slowly worked my way through them.

Last year I switched to a Cooler Master Xornet though because it looked interesting. I really like the middle wheel click (usually what I first look for in a work mouse). After about a year though, the scroll wheel started to wear out. Since it has a two year warranty, I simply sent it in and got a new one free. I was impressed by the eRMA process.

The Xornet does have a claw-style grip to it, so that may be a little weird for some people that have normal sized hands. I have small hands, so I can essentially use it like a normal mouse and lay my hand across it. Not bad for a $24 mouse.

Edit for photo:
    1.jpg
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Super huge fan of razer, still have my deathadder from like 2005 i use
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    I've been using a vertical mouse for a while now, and I love it, though it looks a bit weird, it's helped lot with wrist pain after extended periods of modelling and I find it a lot more comfortable.

I'm using one of these:
    http://www.deluxworld.com/en/productdetail.aspx?ID=277&MenuID=030303020101
    But there are a couple of different companies that make them.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    This might take some getting use to, but I highly recommend this one:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Evoluent-VerticalMouse-Regular-Right-VM4R/dp/B00427TAIK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1394139030&sr=8-7&keywords=ergonomic+mouse"]Amazon.com: Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 "Regular Size" Right Hand (model # VM4R) - USB Wired: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

Great for the wrist.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    MeshMagnet wrote: »
    This might take some getting use to, but I highly recommend this one:

Amazon.com: Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 "Regular Size" Right Hand (model # VM4R) - USB Wired: Cell Phones & Accessories

Great for the wrist.

Ditto. Though you can get an Evoluent 3 as well, slightly cheaper, just as good.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I've tried loads of mice, still keep going back to the Deathadder.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i use a corsair M90:

1777183653_1173027348_o.jpg

Has a really comfortable feel to it, all the buttons around the thumb just feel "right", it's pretty big which suits my meat-paws nicely, and it's made of metal so it feels nice and sturdy.
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huh. how have i never heard of a vertical mouse? that sounds like it would be a lot better for the wrist! how is the scroll click on the evoluent 4(or 3)? i use some programs that use that button alot
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    huh. how have i never heard of a vertical mouse? that sounds like it would be a lot better for the wrist! how is the scroll click on the evoluent 4(or 3)? i use some programs that use that button alot

The scroll is fine.

Just remember, you got to give yourself at least a week to get use to the feel of it.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to say that i had a razer mouse the white and blue one that lasted me SIX years so i'd just like to say it was around $60 i think, so $10 a year worked out well enough for me, or i got lucky idk. Would have lasted a lot longer but i dropped that damn thing too many times, if i knew how to fix it i would still have it right now.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Another trackball user here, I also have a Wacom connected. I don't feel the need for a mouse anymore. This is what I use(Logitech M570):

logitech-wireless-trackball-m570.png

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-001799-M570-Wireless-Trackball/dp/B0043T7FXE"]Amazon.com : Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball : Computer Trackballs : Electronics[/ame]
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    I have a CM Storm Recon. Great mouse, and not that expensive.

image_283.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Man there's a lot of abominations in this thread, lol.

Anyway, I got this for work and for my home PC, and I absolutely love it, I think it's the pinnacle of logitech design, perfect mouse.

g400s-gaming-mouse-images.png
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    [HP] wrote: »

Anyway, I got this for work and for my home PC, and I absolutely love it, I think it's the pinnacle of logitech design, perfect mouse.

YES! The G400s is my favorite. I had an MX518 go out, and I loved that mouse so much(I still have one more though :P ). This mouse is the closest thing to it in shape and feel. I agree with HP on this one. Great mouse for the cost.
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, got a lot of feedback. in the end I went with a vertical mouse (Evoluent 4). it arrived yesterday and so far I really like it. a little strange, but Im getting used to it fast (much better for the wrist). I have a feeling it wont be long until normal mice seem completely foreign.

thanks for all the suggestions folks!
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    :poly131:
    iDxZvRv.jpg

Although truth be told I use the trackball Meshmodeler posted when I'm browsing or in Unreal. Classic style mice just become painful as the years go on.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    My deathadder from 2011 died on me a few months back, I picked this up and am very happy with my decision - http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g602-wireless-gaming-mouse
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    avenali312 wrote: »
    This. I stocked up on Razer Diamondbacks a while ago and have slowly worked my way through them.

Last year I switched to a Cooler Master Xornet though because it looked interesting. I really like the middle wheel click (usually what I first look for in a work mouse). After about a year though, the scroll wheel started to wear out. Since it has a two year warranty, I simply sent it in and got a new one free. I was impressed by the eRMA process.

The Xornet does have a claw-style grip to it, so that may be a little weird for some people that have normal sized hands. I have small hands, so I can essentially use it like a normal mouse and lay my hand across it. Not bad for a $24 mouse.

Edit for photo:
    1.jpg

I picked up one of those randomly at my local (couple blocks away) computer hardware store after my Razer Naga was getting a little difficult to work with (the click was getting TOO sinsitive, and it would randomly double click things).

I gotta say, for a reletively low cost mouse, it works pretty nice.

On the topic of this thread, I prefer to use my Wacom Intous4, but it's tough to use in 3ds Max for basic stuff, because of how right click centric max can be, back when my main program was Maya I'd use my wacom pretty much exclusively.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    For modeling/art I just use my Wacom. For playing games and such, I use the Razer Deathadder Left Handed Edition.

razer-deathadder-lefthand-gallery-1.png
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    After getting one for a secondary workstation I can confirm that the G400 is pretty good (as in : exactly the same shape than the MX518 it is based on) but the mouse scrolling mechanism seems to be a tad stiffer than the original. Now maybe I might be feeling that because I've had MXs for years and their wheel mechanism probably got smoother with time, but I don't remember them ever being that stiff to begin with.

Also I kinda wish it had the same kind of weird ghostly pattern than the original ... but thats not a deal breaker :)
  • Toskineuro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toskineuro polycounter lvl 4
    [HP] wrote: »

Is this good for left handed?
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    I recently had to buy a new one for the studio because I found the mouse wheel on the Logitech thin and pointy when holding for camera panning ect. What an first world problem to have.

Anyway I picked up the Steel Series Kana as I heard it was designed to be similar to the classic Microsoft intelimouse. Nice fat and soft middle mouse button, very comfortable and it has an on-the-fly sensitivity button that can be set up for painting/vert pushing ect.

http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-kana

Liked it so much I got one for home also.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    A vertical mouse seems like it'd rely too much on the movement of the arm instead of the fingers and reduce fine control. I'm guessing that I must be mistaken about that?
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    The Mad Catz R.A.T. 9 i think is really good.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MX518/G400 4 life. I get bad RSI/wrist pain with anything else.
    Toskineuro wrote: »
    Is this good for left handed?

No, its very much a right handed mouse.
  • Toskineuro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toskineuro polycounter lvl 4
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    MX518/G400 4 life. I get bad RSI/wrist pain with anything else.

No, its very much a right handed mouse.
    Ok, thanks. I'm right handed but my right hand/wrist is so fucked that I switched to using the mouse with my left hand about one year ago.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Flava-Fly wrote: »
    I recently had to buy a new one for the studio because I found the mouse wheel on the Logitech thin and pointy when holding for camera panning ect. What an first world problem to have.

Anyway I picked up the Steel Series Kana as I heard it was designed to be similar to the classic Microsoft intelimouse. Nice fat and soft middle mouse button, very comfortable and it has an on-the-fly sensitivity button that can be set up for painting/vert pushing ect.

http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-kana

Liked it so much I got one for home also.

I just got the Steelseries Kana v2.
    I think I'll return it, but I'll give it some time.
    I like the form, but the left and right click need a bit more pressure than what I'm used to.
    (Used an old worn out mouse until now, so that's why I'll wait a while in order to get used to the new one.)
    The middle button/wheel needs too much pressure to be comfortable for me. I wouldn't mind if it was a bit more than the other buttons but it needs a lot more pressure.
    The side button has a longer distance to the pressure point than the left- and right click and the pressure point lies deeper than a surrounding ridge when I hold the mouse in a for me comfortable way.

Any more thoughts or suggestions? Especially for mice which need minimal pressure for all buttons and the buttons aren't hugely different from each other as far as click pressure and distance are concerned?
  • EricHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricHall polycounter lvl 6
    Another vote for Logitech G series. I was originally going to get the G400s, but when i saw a G500 for the same price on sale, I went for that. I love the grip on the side, can't imagine that will wear off anytime soon.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Just wanted to chime in to say that even though the mx518 (and siblings) are originally designed for right-handed use, they actually are very confortable for lefties too. I have rather large hands yet my pinky and ring fingers sit perfectly well within the thumb rest on the left side. It's actually very confortable.

On a side note : after a few years of use the rubberized plastic that makes up a large part of the surface of these mice starts to break down and the mouse becomes sticky. I was about to give up on mine after numerous attempts at removing the coating but I finally found a solution, which is to simply cover the black parts with thin clear tape. It actually feels much better that way - it feels like a hard clear-coated surface, ready for a few more years of use :)
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever you decide, avoid the Microsoft comfort mouse 3000 unless you like loud *clickity clicks*
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. Whatever you decide, keep an eye out for sales!! I managed to snag a Deathadder with a $50 steam gift card included. I kinda view it as I'll spend $50 on steam at some point in the next few months, so more or less a $20 mouse instead of $70 :D
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    another mx518 for lifer. they are getting harder and harder to get tho at a resonable price!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Since I last posted in this thread, I made the transition over to the Logitech G502 Proteus Core.

Its an extremely good mouse, also has a precision mode button which I have found useful for work from time to time.

Worth considering. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g502-proteus-core-tunable-gaming-mouse
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    Old thread but always good to chime in

Thankgod Logitech is still making mice that don't feel like they were designed for children.

G500 all the way, lasted me 2 years of rigorous use and I haven't had any issues with it at all. I don't see it kicking the bucket anytime soon either, the most damage it has is some paint wear.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    My next mouse is probably going to be a microsoft sculpt ergonomic, it's not quite vertical but sort of sideways to help with circulation and carpal tunnel, which plagues me in the winter. Played with one in a store and it was really comfortable, of course there's still the question of performance. Don't suppose anyone's used one?
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    sorry for the hijack, but i'm after a silent mouse that you don't hear buy only feel the click, is there a such thing? see i live in a small unit with my wife and kid and often need to work later and sometimes i play games which involves lots of clicks dont really want to bother them during the night.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    This mouse on Amazon looks pretty good, but there's other options out there.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Noiseless-Optical-Gaming-Computer-JNL-101K/dp/B0042T7TBS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416370649&sr=1-2&keywords=silent+mouse"]Amazon.com: Noiseless USB Optical Gaming Computer Wheel Mouse 1600 DPI Super Quiet JNL-101K Black Silent: Electronics[/ame]
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    The heck with those high number logitech g400+'s

It's all about the Logitech g300 baby!
    B005EWB3AU_G300_BTY-2_WHT_RED_lg.jpg

I wore out one in about two years (middle mouse wheel first, then finally right mouse click was going) so I decided to rebuy it after finding out my hand basically crippled itself into that mouse's comfort zone.

The mouse's lifespan may or may not be accurate, as I tend to burn through all kinds of mice pretty fast. I blame constantly rotating around models and shooting polygons myself...

My favorite feature is being able to cycle through different colors of LED lights when I'm bored. (the red strip on the side: can be off, blue, light blue, green, yellow, white, red and even pink! )
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    I switched from mx518 to g600 last year and i'm very happy with it. It has three buttons on top of it, so it's possible to use maya navigation as it was originally intended to be used.
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I got this mouse for 10$ on amazon. It saved my hand, I feel obligated to recommend it to anyone who wants to switch up their hand position. I got used to it in about 30 min.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Ergonomic-Optical-Vertical-Buttons/dp/B00FPAVUHC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1416380800&sr=8-5&keywords=anker+mouse
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Is there any site with standardized tests for mice out there? Measuring the force and distance necessary for a click to register etc. ?
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Just did a quick test.
    The Kana v2 needs roughly between 40 and 100 grams for the left click, depending on where exactly you click.
    The middle mouse button takes 200 grams.

Old mouse left click: Around 20 to 25 grams.
    (Some cheap discounter mouse I started using as a quick replacement for another mouse)

I used an electric kitchen scale and slowly pressed the buttons down until the click registered. Not super accurate but it gives a rough idea of the force needed.
    Might be interesting if more people did the same with their mice.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    I used a deathadder before the left mouse button broke
    now i'm using a Zowie EC1, it's nice and light, has an interesting sort of rubbery texture and a nice clicky mousewheel and really it's just nice to hold
    I have big hands so the deathadder and the zowie ec1 are both the perfect size
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Buuumping for justice.

Have any of you MX518 users found a comparable mouse? I need a new one, and the 518's and 400s are upwards of $250 for new ones on Amazon. Every other mouse I'm coming across looks like it should be used to dice fucking onions, not control a PC. Should I risk buying a used one? I

I'm going to try your tape trick Pior, mine has had the gloss worn off, and is now sticky. I may have another squirreled away tho... hrmmmmm!

halp!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're in luck, friend. While you can no longer buy MX518s, Logitech replaced that mouse with something very similar, current version is the G400.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4831NY2070&cm_re=logitech_g400-_-26-104-838-_-Product