Home General Discussion

If you suddenly had the urge to give up being a games artist....

Replies

• NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Tons of interesting posts here. As a student I can't really say too much. I've been doing both the environmental art and programming for a game I've been developing with a small team for the last 2 years but I'm in a university working on a degree in Computer Science.

It seems like working in the games industry would have to be an incredibly long term goal for me which is unfortunate because I love programming games and making any kind of game art. Personally, I don't really care too much about money but I'm not sure how I feel about having to constantly worry about keeping my job. It's relatively easy to get a non-game related programming job that you can support yourself with, but work will feel a lot less exciting (in my opinion).
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    my mind just refuses the idea of giving up . even tho i should think all the possibilities and have a plan B .
    im in fine arts college BTW .. maybe i could do that even tho i hate it .. and yeah its by no means a stable job . but if u got a name you could sell crap for a couple of K's . iv seen 1 of my professors sell a crappy dress for 10K .
    also another job that is related to 3D is architecture visualization . iv been to architecture college . didnt like it . left it . made my father sad ( his an architect ) its an option i guess
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    ..what would you consider doing instead?

Try to ladder up as a $40,000 an issue comic book artist but not overwork myself like the 17-hour work days like Jim Lee did when he started but use Photoshop custom brushes and other digital shortcuts A LOT to make my deadlines ahead of time. (Print on illustration boards in digital pencil style so I can re-sell "originals" to collectors).

OR

Try to ladder up as Marvel/ DC comics "exclusive artist".

One con though is you might design a really cool original character which they'll own (since you're just a work-for-hire) and it could make billions in movies/games for them but they won't be obligated to give you a dime.

OR

Keep on truckin with my own IP and hope I'll actually launch it THIS year as planned LAST year.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Just from following a bunch of comic people on Twitter, the comic industry seems even more brutal than video games
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justin, yup. One reason you gotta aim for an exclusive contract from either of the big two so you don't have to worry after wrapping up one issue. Easier said than done but if you have the chops...

Where it's extra hard is if you push for your own title or draw from an unknown writer's script. Getting published by Image comics alone won't automatically generate you income. They'll only send you a royalty check if your book makes a profit. And if it does make a profit you may have to wait as much as 6 months before you see that check. So, if you're in the game, you'll want to work on and pitch as many titles as you can. But you don't have to do it alone, you can team up with writers and other artists (inkers, letterers, colorist, etc.).
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I would probably go into cooking and start my own restaurant, though I'm sure the restaurant biz is even worse than the games industry ;)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Caricature Artist at a theme park. I'm sketching all the time to work up to that when I retire. If my hands combust and I cannot use them then probably get a job kicking stuff.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    2d film animator. In fact i'm already pushing my games more in that direction...

but that industry is in many ways worse than games... fuck.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    illustration and/or vfx/cgi for film, + indie dev is another option I reckon.

Done too many mundane jobs when I was young, take the best from them but I don't feel the urge to do that again; my brain would fizz up and overflow like a particularly rebellious bottle of beer.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    If my hands combust and I cannot use them then probably get a job kicking stuff.

Debt collector/hired thug?
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Probably archviz \ VFX.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Hobo? I already dress and look like one so its gotta be the next step :)

I'd like to teach anatomy for artists like scott eaton or teach at an art college/uni. Ive been studying alot myself past few months and its an interesting subject, one that alot of artists get wrong, even the pros (me included).

I dont know why I would leave though, moneys way more than most jobs, its rewarding, self developing, crunch is minimal. I think I would only leave if the tech made me obselete, which looks like it may take a while with the smoothed out scan data and bin liner clothing of next gen haha.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    moose wrote: »
    write, illustrate, and produce children's books
    play more violin

I'm quite happy to hear other's playing. I've been told i'm weird for having the aspirations to play (sigh).

Currently only senior positions near me so i started running a small web dev company while i sort finances & a portfolio. Chance to run your own company gives a wider view than just working for someone else!
    Though 5 page budget proposals written in layman terms explaining everything and the cost of each part they want, get's really, really, old... Fast.

Also, being your own boss and trying to build a portfolio requires a shitton of focus/drive. Most of the time i pass on portfolio work after coding all day. The woes
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Lazerus good point about running your own company or freelancing, definitely requires a lot of drive to move forward. Personally have wanted to join a studio for some time, just prefer the camaraderie and drive that comes from being around like minded artists. That being said freelancing has its perks to, picking your own hours is great :D
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Town planning.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I'm not a games artist, but if I could go back in time, I would have never touched this art thing and pursued some form of tech Engineering.

At this point, it's too late for me to retrain (49) so I'm forced to produce something...anything.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd try my luck doing traditional art and photography professionally. Or maybe start teaching game art..
    But nothing out of the art field. I've already tried those, not for me..
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Get an RV and start an offsite but onsite freelancing company.

Drive to your office with a bunch of 3D Artists in the RV and stay in your parking lot till the work is done. Then move on to the next place.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Caricature Artist at a theme park. I'm sketching all the time to work up to that when I retire. If my hands combust and I cannot use them then probably get a job kicking stuff.

I did that at Busch Gardens and at Six Flags. It's a lot of fun but also a lot of work, its mostly outside all the time and when it's slow you have to try and get business which I hated barking at people asking them to come over for me to draw.. I usually tried to sit and draw and have people come watch and then I'd ask (as long as the boss wasn't watching)

In regards to urge to give up game artist, I did just that. I still do art on my own time. Just didn't want to play the rat race anymore and chase the jobs. My wife has a great job and jobs here in Dallas are pretty slim and far between.

I ended up going back to IT, and ended up doing iOS development which is what I do now.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Teaching game art is definitely a potential direction I would want to go into after a good run in the industry.

But talking outside of game art wise, I've always admired film makeup/prosthetics art; turning people into monsters, orcs, demons etc or even just gnarly zombie wounds, its all still sculpting n painting. LOTR must have been amazing to work on in that capacity *^*. Plus some companies also use zbrush for sculpting headmasks etc.

Making toys would also kickass, I'm seriously impressed by the quality of highend toys these days; THIS IS A POSEABLE TOY!
    140209jaoqlaaammawyj8w.jpg?type=w2

(google KOJUN for more)

I'd still like to make myself into an action figure one day regardless of career :D
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Tattoo Artist, Pub owner, Chef or crazy dude screaming at walls oh wait I already doing that....
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Right now I'm out of games (more due to a rough 8 months more than anything) so I guess what I'm doing now. Freelance 3d art for all your needs. It's quite satisfying. Tho I still want to get back to a studio.

Other than that, umm...geek squad at best buy? I love building PC's. Maybe go back to school and be a nutritionist or fitness dude.

Beach bum in San Diego?
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    crazyfool wrote: »
    it may take a while with the smoothed out scan data and bin liner clothing of next gen haha.

nice. :)
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    Make video games.
    yeah, this. I got into 3d art as a way into making games. And I'm a tech artist these days so I don't make a lot of game art these days anyway.
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Chef or astrophysics, I suck at cooking, but I love it.
    and science is a great study
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    This thread is depressing!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did end up backing out and going into something else. I still love doing game art in my free time, the industry's just not for me. I'm currently about one year away from by BS in Electrical Engineering.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I have always figured that I will live out my final years sculpting and casting bronze pieces,there is something about the permanence of the medium compared to the intangible stuff that I spend all day making that attracts me to it.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently started teaching 3D part time cause I lost my job in December and couldn't find anything else.
    Gave me some time to think though, would probably do something away from a computer, was thinking I would either become a cop or try act/write/direct movies or something. Still might give something like that a go if I can't get a games job overseas in the next few years.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    jewelry, toys and be a professional lazy
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I was a maintenance worker at a golf course before my current game job. I really enjoyed it.. outside all day, cracking jokes with the people playing, not a super physical job, but physical enough.

Truth be told, I was very close to dropping the game artist dream all together and pursuing a job as a Greens Keeper. Then.. about two weeks later I got a job offer lol.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Lamont, that is EXACTLY what I'd do. Take a load of in San Diego!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NEW PLAN!
    NERF Gun designer

I would love to do that but I really don't want to live up north again, too cold :(
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NEW PLAN!
    NERF Gun designer

I would love to do that but I really don't want to live up north again, too cold :(

Applied. Thanks for the heads up.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana wrote: »
    Applied. Thanks for the heads up.

DONT STEAL HIS DREAM
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's cool, I need an insider connection!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's cool, I need an insider connection!

And I need all the positive energy i can get...:)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would be an AWESOME guy who sits around all day watching random TV and models something every now and then ... Can I get paid for that somehow?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana wrote: »
    And I need all the positive energy i can get...:)

OH MAN, you're for real applying!? YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    WarrenM , that's actually what i do:)
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH MAN, you're for real applying!? YOU CAN DO IT!

Yes, minutes after you posted it. And I'm in Ct.,So relocating wouldn't be an issue.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I think about this every now and again when doubts creep up. I tend to lean toward writing fiction and poetry (not exactly lucrative for most), making furniture, or some form of traditional art. Or maybe farming. Or owning a bookstore or cafe. Or working in a bookstore of cafe.

Definitely something away from the computer though. Of course I'd still do 3D in my spare time.

But 3D is my first love. And I'll do it, if I can.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I would be an AWESOME guy who sits around all day watching random TV and models something every now and then ... Can I get paid for that somehow?

...watching random Youtube channels.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/tfr/4402285323.html
  • cmgillett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get an RV and start an offsite but onsite freelancing company.

Drive to your office with a bunch of 3D Artists in the RV and stay in your parking lot till the work is done. Then move on to the next place.

I've had the exact same thought haha :D
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Bespoke blacksmithing.
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    I'd go train to become a shaolin monk, away from everything and anything concerning technology.
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Teaching game art would be nice, but from the catastrophe that I've experienced, I'd like to be a veteran first, a lot of instructors I've noticed (at-least around here) literally have zero experience, or once worked for "company X" 20 years ago.

Traditional art would be amazing more on the lines of painting, street art instalments.
  • 2cat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2cat polycounter lvl 5
    I'd probably put all my energy into becoming an astronomer.