Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old TV

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys,

I have been working on this for an hour or two in the morning before work for the last couple of days.

I have come to consult the elders of the high count of poly.

old_tv_1.jpgold_tv_2.jpgold_tv_3.jpgold_tv_4.jpgold_tv_5.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think you could blur the reflection of the screen a tad. The illusion is kind of breaking down with how clear it is. I remember when I was a kid we had a wood panel TV like that and the wood laminate started to chip and peel on the edges a little bit. If you can find good reference for that it would look awesome. Good job though!
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    yeah, i'd agree about blurring the screen a tad... curious though, are you going for an older look, like its worn down? cause right now it looks like theres cuts and scratches on the screen, but I see no wearing anywhere else. theres not even dirt or grime on the screen :/ also your tape looks more like goo to me.
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER wrote: »
    I think you could blur the reflection of the screen a tad....... the wood laminate started to chip and peel on the edges a little bit..... Good job though!

Thats an awesome idea, ill look some up during my lunch break XD which I only have 10 mins left of :/
    luge wrote: »
    yeah, i'd agree about blurring the screen a tad... curious though, are you going for an older look, like its worn down? ....I see no wearing anywhere else. theres not even dirt or grime on the screen :/ also your tape looks more like goo to me.

the tape is killing me! I cant get the colour and material definition to look right for some reason

I'm going for an old tv that you might still have today. so I may need to add more wear and tear.

Thanks guys I will post an update when I have done some more!!!
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Did a pass quick pass over it....

Couldn't find much reference for the chips but tried to do it from what I remember from a kid....

old_tv_1_v2.jpg
    old_tv_2_v2.jpg
    old_tv_3_v2.jpg
    old_tv_4_v2.jpg
    old_tv_5_v2.jpg
    old_tv_6_v2.jpg
  • DWalker
    Keep in mind that the tube of a CRT was part of a sphere (a very large sphere in later tubes, giving an impression of a flat screen, a smaller sphere for the rounder TVs of the 50s), so they didn't bulge in the center but curved smoothly over the entire face.

aac0001.jpg
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    It looks great! The materials look pretty clean though.
  • Bauken
    Offline / Send Message
    Bauken polycounter lvl 8
    I love the look so far! It's really coming along nicely and you've made excellent changes to the screen and the tape. My only comment is that it all looks a little too clean. I remember when I was a kid, out tv screen was similar to this and often times, it would build up a layer of dust on the surfaces and all over the screen. My brother and I would make little drawings in the dust and no matter how much it was cleaned, our drawings always left some trace. Additionally, those little nooks and crannies like the vents in the front are always tough to clean and almost always have a layer of dust. Cant wait to see where it goes from here!
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    It's looking great! But I agree it is all over two clean. If the thing has tape on it holding it together, I would think it would look much more beat up and dirty.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    the chipping looks good, but its very sparse, add some more of it. dirty up your nobs. and get some grime in there, but if you do want it to look like someone may still have one of these, make it look like there are stains in there that can't come out. or even add in impressions to the top like someone set their drink on it and kept putting it there over time.
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Offline / Send Message
    @everyone, Thanks guys, I will have to do a dust pass over it a some point, I've ran out of time for the moment.

I have the CG Student awards due soon and need to get all my entries in!
    (you can vote for me here if you want XD)

Once that's all prepared for, I will smash it out.