Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Mirror's Edge Fanart Environment

Replies

• Havoc89
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    This looks fantastic Juniez. Absolutely stunning.
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    a 4/2 update: back to your regular programming :v

9.jpg
    10.jpg

finished meshing in the rest of the placeholder meshes... they were really fast because I just ended up using the preexisting materials and did 1 bevel + normal manipulation to get a lot of the edge widths (good thing UE4 supports imported normals!)

kinda disappointed that translucent materials can't support screenspace reflections + that one god dang lightmap problem

but that's okay
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    MIRROR'S EDGE 2 CONFIRMED FOR UE4...

I wish V___V
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Soemthing about the scale seems off. The door and counter in particular feel squashed ( from your 2 latest screenshot). It's stunning otherwise!
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 wrote: »
    This looks fantastic Juniez. Absolutely stunning.

thanks! Probably forgot to tell you but I also really liked your stuff in renegade x
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Soemthing about the scale seems off. The door and counter in particular feel squashed ( from your 2 latest screenshot). It's stunning otherwise!

might be the fov or the angle... I tried to position everything in relation to the door height but not a lot of it was done in a measured metric scale

soo it's probably my fault :x

today!
    i have layered the materials
    11.jpg
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I love layer materials, I'm doing a similar project focusing on using mostly layered materials. Looking awesome.
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looks excellent :)
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    aaaaaaaaaaaagh school's over!!! cluttered the desk - placeholder chair there

12.jpg
    13.jpg

and the highpoly for the chair replacement

14.jpg
  • jjsuperspy
    Offline / Send Message
    jjsuperspy polycounter lvl 8
    dude this is looking soooooooo freaking good man, brings back so good memory's of Mirror's Edge :D
  • Scorpyx
    Offline / Send Message
    Scorpyx polycounter lvl 12
    this chair looks sweet :]
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks jjsuperspy & Scorpyx!

here's an update on the office spaces:
    e65d18b3e5.jpg
  • Borod
  • DInusty
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    This looks Hawt keep out up!
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Frozan & Borod :)

finished(???) the interior spaces:
    -the lightmap error in the lobby ceiling is fixed but not yet built
    -paintings still have to be replaced
    -maybe figure out a way to connect up the wires... not that important tho
    -just kind of shove in the outside buildings for silhouette (or actually do them, I guess)
    -record fly by of the environment
    -replay mirror's edge

5a176d6ba7.jpg
  • Nielsen
    Offline / Send Message
    Nielsen polycounter lvl 8
    Cool stuff Juniez!

Something which may improve your scene is adding some potted plants or foliage in troughs to break it up a bit.
  • benox50
    Its awesome, you nailed it ! Need to make an environment based on ME too : >, the art style of this game is my favorite.
    Love the Lighting and the radiance, great work dude.

Btw, did you know you can get unreal 3 editor working with ME so you can play in your own maps etc. :)
  • Kar-re
    Offline / Send Message
    Kar-re polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with @Nielsen, some foilage would really put the dot over the i, great work already. The PBR materials look wonderful. What are your tri-budget for the props etc?
  • Logithx
    Offline / Send Message
    Logithx polycounter lvl 5
    Looks great, too bad about glass/translucent materials in UE4. No matter what you try it always looks terrible one way or another.
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    Nielsen wrote: »
    Cool stuff Juniez!

Something which may improve your scene is adding some potted plants or foliage in troughs to break it up a bit.

oh yeah... totally forgot about the plants :poly136: Thanks for the mention!
    benox50 wrote: »
    Its awesome, you nailed it ! Need to make an environment based on ME too : >, the art style of this game is my favorite.
    Love the Lighting and the radiance, great work dude.

Btw, did you know you can get unreal 3 editor working with ME so you can play in your own maps etc. :)

Mirror's Edge does indeed have the best art style :B. But I don't think the hacked UE3 editor supports the same lighting solution as the original game. A real bummer
    Kar-re wrote: »
    I agree with @Nielsen, some foilage would really put the dot over the i, great work already. The PBR materials look wonderful. What are your tri-budget for the props etc?

Iiii haven't got a budget... runs well enough though, and they're not outrageously triangle-heavy

Except for the keyboard. What a mistake that was
    Logithx wrote: »
    Looks great, too bad about glass/translucent materials in UE4. No matter what you try it always looks terrible one way or another.

Thanks!! and yeah translucent specular isn't really up to par with the rest of the graphics ... I wouldn't call them terrible, though! Certainly still a step up from UE3 :)

trying to figure out how to get the outdoor building facades:
    d232e24102.jpg
    I think I'll probably do pieces of something like 5-story structures and stack them on top. Should help with the lightmap-resolution screwup and I could always swap them out for added variety - that would be super.

So now I've got to implement the buildings for real, do the rooftop clutter structures:

4d0edcc7f7.jpg

and then do the plants and then I'll be done!! :poly142:
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    about the whole building cluttering thing: I haven't touched this in a few months and it was pretty clear that they weren't getting done, so I just painted up some quick shapes for the copyrights and snapped up some final photos:

tumblr_na22whpXvS1t5aocgo5_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_na22whpXvS1t5aocgo2_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_na22whpXvS1t5aocgo1_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_na22whpXvS1t5aocgo8_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_na22whpXvS1t5aocgo7_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_na22whpXvS1t5aocgo6_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_na22whpXvS1t5aocgo3_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_na22whpXvS1t5aocgo4_r1_1280.jpg

and now i will never touch it again
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Well damn, been great watching this come together. Nice sharp and clean final screenshots man. To be extremely nit picky I would make your font smaller, dont hide the nice art, no matter how many pixels!

Have DICE offered you a job yet =P?
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Very awesome!

Only thing missing is small scale props/clutter, the scene feels very bare and dead without them! (sorry if this is a redundant comment, i haven't read the entire thread)

I also think your prop placement could be more interesting, it usually looks much better when you create small "islands of props" instead of evenly spacing them everywhere. A good example is the hallway shot, instead of having evenly spaced couches underneath the windows you could have a few pockets with a couch, side table, sculpture, plant etc...

Here's a great example, even though the desks themselves are evenly spaced, the small scale props are all concentrated in small pockets instead of filling every open space:
    office-cleaning-fife.jpg

Anyways, seems like you are already done with the scene though. Kickass work all around!
  • Scorpyx
    Offline / Send Message
    Scorpyx polycounter lvl 12
  • nooby
    Offline / Send Message
    nooby polycounter lvl 10
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Bear wrote: »
    Well damn, been great watching this come together. Nice sharp and clean final screenshots man. To be extremely nit picky I would make your font smaller, dont hide the nice art, no matter how many pixels!

Have DICE offered you a job yet =P?

I wanted the font to be clearly -there- even on the tumblr thumbnails but I did make them 50% opacity to kind of see the shots behind it. but in retrospect that might have just muddled everything up and made the watermark both harder to read and more intrusive. hm.

and ha, i wish - even if they did, i'd like to go through university first and get a degree.. buuut it's always nice to hope and dream :p
    Minos wrote: »
    Very awesome!

Only thing missing is small scale props/clutter, the scene feels very bare and dead without them! (sorry if this is a redundant comment, i haven't read the entire thread)

I also think your prop placement could be more interesting, it usually looks much better when you create small "islands of props" instead of evenly spacing them everywhere. A good example is the hallway shot, instead of having evenly spaced couches underneath the windows you could have a few pockets with a couch, side table, sculpture, plant etc...

Here's a great example, even though the desks themselves are evenly spaced, the small scale props are all concentrated in small pockets instead of filling every open space:
    office-cleaning-fife.jpg

Anyways, seems like you are already done with the scene though. Kickass work all around!

thanks for the crits! I think I based the macro prop placement on the mirror's edge level itself, but you are totally right about the desk clutter. After a while or with enough feedback I'll revisit it and change it about

also that is a very pretty office space
    Scorpyx wrote: »
    awesome work
    nooby wrote: »
    great work!
    r4ptur3 wrote: »
    amazing stuff

thanks yall :)
  • Orb
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking sick, very polished work .Love the small scale details normal you got (spec, detail normal)
  • Hoshi
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoshi polycounter lvl 6
    I love it :) Congratz man, it looks really amazing.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    very cool! nice work!
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    this is pretty impressive, just curious how long did this take you to put together. also any chance you might release the map to the community/marketplace?
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 13
    good work, makes me feel like I'm running through it myself :)
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    hm, that was a bit of a revive :poly136::
    Orb wrote: »
    This is looking sick, very polished work .Love the small scale details normal you got (spec, detail normal)

thanks! It really was a bunch of tiling details on top of more tiled details and so on... the cleanliness of the environment did contribute to the ease of tiled materials (on top of tiled details and so on :v) because there were less unique details like grime and leaks to represent in the final material.
    Hoshi wrote: »
    I love it :) Congratz man, it looks really amazing.
    very cool! nice work!
    good work, makes me feel like I'm running through it myself :)

thank you!

this is pretty impressive, just curious how long did this take you to put together. also any chance you might release the map to the community/marketplace?

It was a long time but I reckon if I were to do it now it'd be maybe a month of constant work? But any more specific than that I'd have no idea.. I wasn't exactly keeping track and there were so many intermissions along the way that it would have been impossible to give an accurate representation anyways.

I looked at the marketplace and while I think I have something I'd like to put there (((self-advertising))), it's not this environment; this was mainly a learning experiment for pretty much everything (PBR, asset organization, naming conventions, material editor, performance) and consequently all of the above is less than nominal: the PBR isn't really based on physics (although coming through it all I learned that if it looks better slightly broken, no worries), the asset organization is only pretty good (most of the time), the assets' names follow conventions (also most of the time), and the materials are pretty much non-instanced and wildly vary in performance.

So I figured it wouldn't be worth spending all that time to fix up an environment that, from the very beginning, was merely fanart to an already existing and copyrighted material.