Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge April 2014 (18)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
Welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge April 2014 (17)!

I'm testing out a secondary prop challenge for the month!

Join our Skype group too if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.

You don't have to join the Skype if you don't want to though, you don't need to ask to participate or anything, just start doing it and post in this thread!

This month's concept:
tumblr_mijesgBQlZ1s6o4nio1_1280.jpg
Wang Rui

This month I added a secondary prop challenge if you don't have the time or skill to take on a whole scene. This is something people had been requesting, I'll see how it does.aTKuB9Q.jpg

Feel free to approach this however you like but I'd recommend making it as modular as possible to save time and keep things optimized:) It's up to you, as long as you are learning then it doesn't matter right?

Also if you want to change up the concept a bit as some people wanted feel free, interpret this concept how you want.

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers,
if you only want to do a few props as best you can, go for it! This way you can work on building up to a full scene.

RULES:

Please read all the rules.

When you are just starting out making a scene can seem complicated or imposing, so break it down.

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible plan it out, a lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some refs as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.
Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

All that matters is that you learn and give and get advice and are willing to be critiqued.

So here are the specific rules:
Try to do one crit for every post you make, this will make for a better learning environment and help us grow as artists.

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used, but feel free to use any.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

Well that's about it, if you think the rules should be changed let us know.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

Please stay away from Ddo, yeah, it's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, please don't complain.

Furthermore, I know this was not the most voted concept, but it is the concept, I put a disclaimer on the voting thread before posting this.

Replies