Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Vajen-Bader smoke protector

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Joost polycount sponsor
Decided to make a new thread, as the old one was getting a bit too cluttered.

This is my main reference:

lY27Smal.jpg

Right now I'm setting up the materials but I'm probably going to rebake everything because I forgot to include the glass in the UVs. And hopefully I'll get some good feedback on things to fix. Haven't baked AO yet because it takes a very long time to do on my shitty pc. I think the helmet could use some more geo, but I'm already at 17k tris with the fur so I'm not sure if I should.

v2FvSwO.png
kdZyQgy.png
G0m18yY.png

82mkbMn.jpg

Any feedback would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    my comment right now, would be that the top piece, that "cross"... looks hard, not soft. maybe add a bevel only the top edges to make it look softer. thats just my 2 cents. very unique idea though, never seen one of these before.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Well I decided to go back and fix the low poly so it would bake better.
    I'm spending way too much time on this bake, but I want it to be perfect and it's a learning experience that will benefit me for future projects as well.

Here's the airtank (without logo)

FTy4Mp5.png
    Pg2w4Zw.png
    ypCOGQZ.png

@Luge: You're right. I'll see if chamfering makes it look better. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Started blocking out the textures. Still a lot of work ahead of me. Feedback would be appreciated!

tQYjRcK.png
    rgwH2hI.png
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    the giraffes... its a nice touch? lol. the top is looking much better now.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    That was my subtle april fools' joke :p

I ended up not chamfering the top. the problem was that the high poly was too sharp. I might soften it up more though. Here's some progress on the texturing, still have a lot to do. Glass is temporary.

Gwo8WTE.png
    lhBlfr1.png
  • billymcguffin
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Ooh, that cracking texture is nice, but a bit too strong maybe. I think it'd look nice if you added it slightly into the normal map and gloss/spec so it affects the shading a bit more.
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I think that there would be some kind of normal map indication of that cracking. Also I think you have too much reflectance/ glossiness when compared to your ref. I don't think it looks bad, but I am not sure how much you wanted to match the ref.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i agree about the normal map. and i like what you've done to the leather, making it crackly and dirty. but the leather seems too glossy right now. could be toned down some.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks for the feedback guys!
    I haven't started adding any normal map details yet. I was saving that for later. That's why all the materials look relatively flat right now.

@Billy: once I get the normal map detail I'll adjust it properly.
    @stevston: I want to stick relatively closely to my ref, but I'll probably make some aesthetic changes. The metal for example is very matte in my reference but I want it to be a bit more glossy.
    @Luge: Yeah you're right about the leather, it's a bit too glossy.

Did some work on the metal. Still need to add more rust and patina.
    (This is from before I read the feedback)

eRYftjl.png
    K1tqYNa.png
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Some progress on the glass and various small changes. Not sure what to think about the glass.
    My tablet is also dying on me so I hope I can finish this before it completely dies.

vFscS8e.png
    YWFIHHy.png

Edit:
    Added some normal map detail

pqfLkbb.jpg
  • billymcguffin
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    The normal map detail is looking good. I'd recommend desaturating the fluffy inner part though because right now it draws attention away from the rest of the piece for me.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Hmm I'll do a test with a less saturated version. But I do like it like this. In the reference it has a similar saturation:
    iCf6oGBl.jpg
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i'd say dirty up some instead of desaturating it. should remove some attention to it and leave it looking interesting
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    That's a good idea, I'll try that. Thanks!
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I made the fur a little bit dirtier. But I made it pretty subtle, because when I added too much dirt it didn't look as fluffy anymore. Can't really see it in this screenshot, I'll post a new one soon.

I think I'm close to finishing this. I'd like to spend a bit more time polishing the texture but I can't really think of much to add. Maybe make the top of the helmet a bit dirtier? But then I kind of like the gradient effect it creates.
    Maybe I should add more rust/patina around the bolts etc?
    I'd really appreciate any input!

Anyway here's some progress shots:

screenshot045-1024x576.png

screenshot043-1024x576.png

screenshot039-1024x576.png

screenshot030-1024x576.jpg

And some (clean) fur!

screenshot019-1024x576.png
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Really cool stuff, you inspired me to give fur a shot one day ;) not today but one day.
    The materials read well to me, the fur is the best part for me even though the pale leather looks really good as well.

:)Me likes.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks man! Made my day :)

You can see how I made the fur in the old thread. Though it's basically just the Ryse technique with some tessellation on top, so I can't really take credit for it.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    looks pretty, but i do have an idea to make it a tad more interesting. try adding some scorch marks to the metal.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks luge, that's a good idea. I'll look up some reference tomorrow.
  • Count Vader
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    Looking pretty sweet. If i were you I would dump the random stains under its right eye, they don't really contribute any meaningful texture information and are just kinda hanging out in the middle of a flat plane which IMO makes them look awkward.

Also, as far as normals go: If you look at your reference, where the horizontal stitches around the middle are, the leather kinda folds in at a much wider radius in "anticipation" of the seam than what you have. In effect, it gives both the impression of the seam being inset pretty deeply and offers some clue as to the nature of the material the mask is made from.

In yours, there's kinda the impression of the seam not really affecting the orientation of the geometry around it, which looks kinda unrealistic and makes the material the mask is made of look stiffer than it should.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    @count Vader: Thanks for the feedback. I made the stains more subtle. And you're absolutely right about the seam. I tried to mimic it by using the dam standard brush with a wide radius before making the seam, but it looks like it doesn't read well in the normal map. I'm hesitant to change it though, because I'm keen to finish up this project and start something new. I just got UE4 so I'm dying to make a proper environment in it.

You can see it a bit better without the normal map detail and textures.

gOxGNvr.png

I experimented a bit with adding scorch marks and more rust but I didn't like it so I reverted to the previous version. Only really did some minor tweaks but here's an update.
    One thing I was considering is making the straps more like the concept (white leather with brown leather on the sides) But I think it works like this.
    I'm about to wrap this project up, if anyone has any more feedback please let me know.

rHHB5hE.png
    sdehoVa.png
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i'd keep the brown straps. gives more contrast in color than white straps would. just darken it a bit more and make it look a tad aged, match up the leathers. right now it looks pretty new.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks for the advice Luge. Right now it's just a tiling texture.I'll look at some reference and try to improve it tomorrow.