Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Advice/Crit (Environment Artist)

Hello, showing my portfolio right now is likely premature due to how little environment work I have to show but there's no harm is some criticism of what I have.

So here it is: http://www.liamreid.portfoliobox.me/

Some advice on what I should be focusing on and what I need to improve on would be great. Changes that could be made to the web design and layout would be equally appreciated.

Whether I should consider applying internships/jobs now or in the near future or continue with education would be some of the best advice I could receive right now, though I apologise if it's wrong to ask that! (never seen anyone else do it).

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    The site itself is good. When you get some more projects I'd separate them up instead of having it all on the same page. As for the content; The top scene is really good, the robot is pretty good but since you're looking to be an environment artist it's pretty useless. I don't think you need any more education. I'd try to finish 3 environments in the next 3 months and then start applying.
  • Synthet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just want to thank you for that, you said pretty much everything I needed to hear.

Going to have to make sure I have some extra productive months ahead then.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    You should focus should be completing the fireplace scene. It's not done. You know that. Polish that scene off because it's a great start. Throw some color in there. Get some blues on the wall, maybe some yellow and orange. Will be a nice color pallette.

While adding large thumbnails that separate environments/characters/props and takes you to another page would be nice, it's not needed. If you have 1 single page with 3-5 badass scenes, you're good to go. Hiring managers don't want to have too many clicks anyway. You're keeping it simple.

The character isn't too bad. Useless is the wrong word to use. But I think it's okay to have it up. I would put it at the bottom though. Now days, especially with mobile, studios are looking to hire people with both sets of skills. Environments and Characters. So it's nice to show that you know how to do both.

With regards to education, it's your decision. But if it were me, knowing what I know now if I were you, I would stop. You can always go back and learn more. But you have the basic foundation to become the artist you need to be. Now it's just time, practice and patience. Polish your skills. And post up completed work. I really want to see that fireplace scene pushed further.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The fireplace is missing some major elements; the missing chimney is quite noticeable in the first and third images. There is also nothing to hold the wood, and of course, no wood... Also, the rear wall generally curves forward towards the flue in modern fireplaces.
    00-tiling-fireplace-1208-x.jpg

On the fountain, I'd change the metal portions to bronze; it'll be more realistic and the verdigris will add some needed color. Also, consider adding some wear and dirt; some greenish drips under the medallion, and dirt from water trickles under the spout. General dirt streaks would also help age it.
    Wall%252520fountain%252520rome_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800
    The middle and bottom layers of stone have a more plastic feel than the top layer.
  • Synthet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two very valid criticisms, thanks to both of you.

It was annoying having to abandon the scene but the course had moved on quickly and I'm having to spend all my time on the next one. I will return to it in about a month. I was thinking of adding bottles and rubbish to show signs of life but im not sure now, an extra bit furniture I could copy around and put stuff on would fill up the emptyness better.

As for the fountain, I don't really consider it portfolio worthy, so it'll be removed later rather than changed. I was still thinking it was too gritty but that rainbow of rustyness and moss does look good so I'll keep that in mind.

Don't know whether to remove the robot or not, we'll see when I have more stuff but im guessing 'isn't too bad' won't get me hired in a hurry so it's just padding.