Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PBR texturing practice, looking for advice/critique.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
Started practicing PBR texturing, hoping to get some guidance and critique. I'm a beginner to texturing, so I hope to learn a lot. Model was downloaded on a free 3d models website somewhere.

5TwgpXR.jpgEj6un8a.jpgyofcmU9.jpg

Using Metalness approach. Normal is just a flat map and Metalness is just a white color, so I'm not including them here. Trying to keep it all simple for now.

Roughness
I5bIVGw.png

Albedo
MRCmJoN.png

Trying to simulate something like this:
lqvdyJ3.jpg

Any help and tips are appreciated.

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update on the texture.
    gYySMgi.jpg
    YTuelNA.jpg
    AKerHae.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    one thing that's really useful to do in marmoset is make a sphere and put it next to your mesh, then make a simulation material for that sphere. this simulation material would have, for example, the same orange colour from your albedo, the same metalness value, and then you move the gloss/roughness slider until you find the roughness level you're happy with, then you paint that value into your gloss map.

it's a really quick way to prototype materials.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one thing that's really useful to do in marmoset is make a sphere and put it next to your mesh, then make a simulation material for that sphere. this simulation material would have, for example, the same orange colour from your albedo, the same metalness value, and then you move the gloss/roughness slider until you find the roughness level you're happy with, then you paint that value into your gloss map.

Really interesting, thanks for the advice
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    The wear is just too consistent and not very believable. I would make most of the wear a lot more subtle and have some wear in less predictable areas. Things like scratches and dents. Also I would add a small lip at the seam between the two material shifts. It feels very unintentional/ unfinished as is.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    The wear is just too consistent and not very believable. I would make most of the wear a lot more subtle and have some wear in less predictable areas. Things like scratches and dents. Also I would add a small lip at the seam between the two material shifts. It feels very unintentional/ unfinished as is.

What do you mean by "small lip" ?
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try to fix things you mentioned.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Just an edge or something. Maybe make one of the surfaces slightly raised. It looks like it is in the ref you have.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an edge or something. Maybe make one of the surfaces slightly raised. It looks like it is in the ref you have.

Oh, interesting, I never even noticed.
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, one of the big things I think that looks off about your scratches is that some of the deepest ones do not make sense. They will be the majority around the contours of the mask. Also there are more than one deep scratch, there will be alot of other scratches around the area.masks-for-army-of-two--UDU2Ny03MzYwMC4yMzc0NjY=.jpg
    iron-man-3-broken-mask.jpg
    help-needed-iron-man-mkvi-helmet-painting-iron-man-scratched-avengers.png-187361d1369140006
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll, thanks. This is very helpful.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying out different scratch/wear style.
    cehQhcA.jpg
    n8oCN2B.jpg
    s0jRgUP.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    That is looking better. I would remove the pattern from the wear areas.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is looking better. I would remove the pattern from the wear areas.

My problem is that I have no idea what the material behind paint is supposed to be. Is it brushed metal or something else? I tried to make it look like something from references, but I don't think it's any good now... Any thoughts?

xH2A3lS.jpg
    IZ9XDMz.jpg
    bvfcUm0.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Doesn't matter what it was before, because it is scratched it's now scratched metal. I would recommend some scratches in the normal map of the worn areas. Some deep scratches, but mostly subtle ones.
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with stevston89, the metal would be scratched and not as shiny. What might add more that you are looking for is there is usually a layer of primer under paint, mostly dark gray. Having that around some of the edges of the paint, or maby even if that was not fully scraped off in some areas might add some more break up for you.

Keep it up, it's looking good!
  • Subtle 1rony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    yeah, starting to look much better than before. I agree with stevston89, it needs some bump detail from a normal map like gouges and small scuffs and scratches. Maybe make the paint material bump out slightly, as if it were an additional layer over the metal. Looks like good material definition practice!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    the metal under the paint is probably heavily scratched, unless whatever the impact was that removed the paintlayer left the surface under the paint untouched.

If you look at the first ref image of iron mans helmet in the hands, you notice the scratched areas are heavily damaged and not smooth and clean.

Also, you may want to add a small lip/thickness to the paint borders where the metal is showing.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique, guys. I didn't have a lot of time to work on it today, but I tried to add all things you mentioned. What do you think?
    JV96saO.jpg
    11e8IKT.jpg
    V5SYSNF.jpg
    T3HJmze.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update, now with maps. I'm not sure what to do with this piece next, looking for an advice.
    DyHhbBV.jpg
    Ep5WM9M.jpg
    g21KvUJ.jpg
    38kXwkh.jpg
    4XJm1Cv.jpg
    OtgCBNs.jpg
    jCVTPag.jpg
    plKqviY.jpg
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would start by moving into putting dirt in your diffuse and spec. Also get a few layers of scratches in the metal.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    What have you done with that poor normal map? That looks like it could be a pretty cool rock cliff. No offence.. Just put some thought into how that surface would behave when it comes to the normal map.
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, good thing you caught it sltrOlsson. I missed that normal completely
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10

That's a totally awesome tip for learning this workflow, thanks.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    What have you done with that poor normal map? That looks like it could be a pretty cool rock cliff. No offence.. Just put some thought into how that surface would behave when it comes to the normal map.

I used CrazyBump for generating the normal map from photoshop masks and images. I have little to no experience with the software, I'm sorry if it looks like crap :) I'll try better next time.

Any tips on how to properly generate normals from images/masks like in my case?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Sculpt the details in. Not to be a jerk, but if you are going to have large areas of wear it's best to sculpt that on before texturing. In a bind however I recommend painting specifically to get the details out. So for a chipped paint edge going and paint a white line on your edge then put it on a black background and bring that into crazybump. Same thing for scratches but do the reverse. Paint black lines for the scratches and give it a white background. I just find it works better to get specific details rather than generalized ones.

Edit: Texture overlays do work, but only if they make sense in context. You could use a brushed/ scratched metal overlay for example on your piece.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpt the details in. Not to be a jerk, but if you are going to have large areas of wear it's best to sculpt that on before texturing. In a bind however I recommend painting specifically to get the details out. So for a chipped paint edge going and paint a white line on your edge then put it on a black background and bring that into crazybump. Same thing for scratches but do the reverse. Paint black lines for the scratches and give it a white background. I just find it works better to get specific details rather than generalized ones.

Edit: Texture overlays do work, but only if they make sense in context. You could use a brushed/ scratched metal overlay for example on your piece.
    Thanks a ton, I'll definitely try to sculpt details in next time... I shouldn't have used a free 3d model in the first place,haha. I won't make the same mistake again.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You already have your maps to create a good base for crazybump. What ever you want to make push down you put to something dark and what ever you want to push up you make lighter.. Then use the heightmap option.. Try the different sliders out. You can load your model so that you can get a good feel for how it will turn out.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You already have your maps to create a good base for crazybump. What ever you want to make push down you put to something dark and what ever you want to push up you make lighter.. Then use the heightmap option.. Try the different sliders out. You can load your model so that you can get a good feel for how it will turn out.

Can I ask what is heightmap used for?

Sorry for noobish questions, btw, but I am a noob :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tutorial by the creator of CrazyBump. It's more for organic normals.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_5suERXhRw

This is not a tutorial for PBR, but there is still some good tips and workflows in there. Check the "bump map" section, second post. Bump map and heightmap is basically the same thing.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=373024
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tutorial by the creator of CrazyBump. It's more for organic normals.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_5suERXhRw

This is not a tutorial for PBR, but there is still some good tips and workflows in there. Check the "bump map" section, second post. Bump map and heightmap is basically the same thing.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=373024

Thanks a bunch. Can't wait to learn more about it all.
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    I like the way this looks so far! Not sure you even need a normal for the scratching though
  • Cint128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cint128 polycounter lvl 6
    I know you have settled on metal now so go with that, but I'm half convinced this is actually supposed to be carbon fiber. Thas just judging from the pattern and they way it has worn/scratched looks more like a resin.

lqvdyJ3.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cint128 wrote: »
    I know you have settled on metal now so go with that, but I'm half convinced this is actually supposed to be carbon fiber. Thas just judging from the pattern and they way it has worn/scratched looks more like a resin.
    I'll definitely look into it. It's not too late to change the material yet. I guess it does look like carbon.
    M7imMmV.jpg

But in that render reflectivity and gloss of the material look very different, more like a metal than a carbon fiber. Maybe it's just a layer of polish or something...
    koenigseggcarbonfiber.jpg

What do you think?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    hey what is that screenshot from btw Cint128?
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey what is that screenshot from btw Cint128?

It's from Batman: Arkham Origins CG trailer, I think
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried something different for a change, following a tutorial I saw online. I'm attaching all the files to use in marmoset, so you could test it out for yourself and see how it looks under different lighting setups if you want.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30803397/wall.rar

Can't wait to hear your critique :)

BuCF5QW.jpg
    5ClrbLx.jpg

Albedo
    JT1csVK.jpg
    Roughness
    K52KBCE.jpg
    Metalness
    uVLCjFQ.jpg
    Normal map(inverted for some reason,I just flip it in marmoset)
    fSv23pY.jpg