Home General Discussion

[Remote Work] Regarding Software purchases/software licenses

Replies

• mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy wrote: »
    What if you were building things in an EDU license for max and then wanted to take your game commercial and ended up buying a commercial license? Would it be okay to use the old files from the EDU, or do you need to remake them all? (sounds kinda silly...)

It sounds like you would have to remake them all. My understanding is anything made with an EDU licence can never be used for commercial.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Renting your software is also a win when it comes to pay the taxman his bit...2340$( or 1800 if you do the yearly sub) you can write off every year

My biggest gripe with Autodesk rental program is that you don't have previous version rights like you do with the perpetual license...I understand only giving tech support to the most current version, but cutting out older versions completely is railroading people into using their "latest and greatest" featureset.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    A few of the insanely great perks of:

Modo: Licence can follow to work and back home again, or anywhere else for that matter. No fuss or hassle.

Steam: steam based licenses basically = floating license. Substance Designer/Painter on steam allow you to take it where ever you can log into your steam account, no extra cost.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Dataday wrote: »
    A few of the insanely great perks of:

Modo: Licence can follow to work and back home again, or anywhere else for that matter. No fuss or hassle.

Steam: steam based licenses basically = floating license. Substance Designer/Painter on steam allow you to take it where ever you can log into your steam account, no extra cost.

You can use Autodesk's rented products at home and at work (but not at the same time) and abroad if you buy premium rental. The cost is marginal compared to the basic version so it's worth it IMO.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    dzibarik wrote: »
    You can use Autodesk's rented products at home and at work (but not at the same time) and abroad if you buy premium rental. The cost is marginal compared to the basic version so it's worth it IMO.

I wouldnt call it marginal, and not much trust or faith can be put in Autodesk these days. Upgrades are rarely worth it and at any point they can hike the rental cost. Generally I would argue it supports a bigger studio mentality rather than one for the individual.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Dataday wrote: »
    I wouldnt call it marginal, and not much trust or faith can be put in Autodesk these days. Upgrades are rarely worth it and at any point they can hike the rental cost. Generally I would argue it supports a bigger studio mentality rather than one for the individual.

I am with you there, I am actively trying to move forward with modo and kick my first love, max, to the curb for good (ex's are ex's for a reason just like software), but I still feel as if I am drunk at the wheel while handling it.

Blender has always been an attractive option to pick up at some point but i've never found the time, and find it is under utilized by professionals, but as I move more towards my own projects and work its less important what companies think of you based on what software you use.

Infact its kind of ludicrous any company would discriminate you for using blender when you think about, if the result is good a good port or whatever then why in the hell would a company care if you use blender, its free, not like they have to pay out for some niche license.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I think studios discriminate because they want as few variables in their workflow as possible. You're right though, if you can reliably export art from your package to theirs with minimal effort, it shouldn't matter. That's why formats like .fbx (ironically owned by Autodesk) exist.

Blender suffers an unfortunate stigma because it's mostly used by amateurs. There's also this "f*** the man" attitude from many of its users that professionals find off-putting. At the end of the day, it's about getting the job done. If more average/good caliber work appeared with "Blender" in the tools list, with no further commentary, it would gain more (rightly deserved) credibility.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Speaking to Photoshop, Adobe can detect if any TGAs and image files in any product has been made with an EDU license? Because that's what I have right now.

Right now, as a person just STARTING freelance, looks like I have to buy overhead for the following (if I want to maintain my workflow):

Maya
    3Dcoat
    Photoshop
    ZBrush
    Still trying to figure out the month to month cost for these.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    photoshop edu can be used commercially, so no worries about that.

zbrush has no subscription
    maya should be around 195USd or 245Eur (yeah right? -.-)
    photoshop is 20 a month
    3dcoat also has no subscription i think
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Calculating for me:

Flat fees:
    $1000 - Zbrush Edu to Commercial updrade, 3Dcoat commercial, and Quixel Suite

$85 for Marmoset Toolbag 2 upgrade

$50 for Substance Designer ($590 if they somehow find out I make more than $10,000 a year. How that happens, I do not know.)

Recurring:
    $195 recurring because of Maya.

Oof. There goes my first paycheck, lol

Thank God the Adobe Edu licenses transfer over to comercial with no problem.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Maya is 200$ a year? really?

or are we talking about the lite version?

"edit" ah monthly :P then no surprise haha.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    bumping this up because I prepare some of my models to upload to Turbosquid/some other sites like that but I have only Photoshop/Modo/Substance Designer/Painter commercial licenses so I can only provide FBX, OBJ, blend and some texture files. But most models on Turbosquid are presented in ma and max formats with v-ray to boot. It puts me into serious disadvantage and I wonder what could be done about that.

I think it's better to accumulate a big chunk of models, then rent Maya and Max for a month and convert all files into their formats. V-ray doesn't have rent option but I was planning on buying it for Modo down the line and I think converting materials from Modo v-ray to Max v-ray won't be a problem.

Also for Unity asset store I don't need V-ray at all...