Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Portfolio

PaulH
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
PaulH polycounter lvl 7
I'm a cleaner, and not in the mob sense of the word, and not for the first time.

I need a job. Here is my portfolio.

https://paulswalls.squarespace.com/

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Your stuff look good, but your site is kinda annoying to navigate.. I'm not really sure what you've done and not done in the different scenes either, I think there should be a descriptive text going with them.. The automatic slideshow is annoying to me as well.. If I want to look at one of the images for a longer time then what the site thinks, I need to step back over and over..

Keep it up!
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Ditch that layout for a simple scroll-able format.
    Waiting for the images to cycle is infuriating.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I like the assets as well, they are spot on. but, the site... it is very annoying to navigate. For one, you do not even know that its a slideshow at first. not until it changes. I'd say fix up the site a bit, make it easier to get around, and be able to inspect the assets, and you'll be gold.
  • Dubzski
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    You have awesome lighting work there, definitely the strongest part of your portfolio.

I'd suggest creating a video / fly through to really show them off + blend them together into a demoreel with your other artworks. Make the demoreel the first thing somebody see's on your website. (Keep it below 2mins)

I actually really like the website style it's very smooth; however it's not the best to show off your work....

I'd suggest allowing an option to turn on that sort of slideshow instead of making it the only way of navigation.
  • Snafubar7
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    Nice stuff in your portfolio, but make the fade between images twice as fast.
  • Darkleopard
    Twice as fast?? Damn the images here wouldn't even load properly before it faded to the next one.

Nice work, but please get rid of the fade
  • A-N-P
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    I would have all of my work on the landing page so it's in the viewers face as soon as they arrive.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Let me scrooooooooll!
  • holzi
    Offline / Send Message
    holzi polycounter lvl 7
    i like the castle environment, but the floor looks really, really dark.
  • PaulH
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulH polycounter lvl 7
    THANK YOU FOR THE EXCELLENT FEEDBACK, I am making changes now
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Nice stuff, wish I could just roll my mouse wheel and see everything.
  • JamieRIOT
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Scroll, no fades :)
    It might seem a little picky, but I don't think 'Assets/Stuff' at the top is the best it could be named.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty solid entry portfolio for sure. Though, when you say lighting, I expected examples of interior and exterior lit scenes, what you have is more so just some really nice landscape work with solid post processing within engine while being lit primarily by the sun or the major outdoor light.

There is nothing wrong with this at all, but I would rename the tab to landscape or something if it is not clumped together with jut your environment pieces. I think its a tad misleading.

As for content, in your midieval hallway scene, there is weird light issues from the blue cast light from the window onto the wall/floor. From the window you have the hard blue cast light on the wall and then an oddly diffused light on the ground where the wall/light intersect with the ground plane. It feels like an error, and thought I would point it out :) Employers, especially at the AAA level where budgets are much higher and the publisher/studio are looking for quality first and foremost, they are looking for people with an eye for detail.

Network and internet presence! And I think you are golden :) Some solid stuff.
  • PixelSuit
    Some really nice work here, two little things that annoy me though:

Assets/Stuff as a title seems a bit unprofessional, only a small thing but I think it makes the difference between looking at your work as a hobby as opposed to it as a job. "Props" might be a better choice.

Not being able to just click any one of your images and look at it is a disappointment, you have some nice work here, let the viewer decide which picture they want to look at and for how long

Good luck with job hunt :)
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    "When I'm not on the journey to improve my art or blatantly lying about my sporting history, I enjoy listening to a multitude of exotic music, reading, visiting historic places etc."

I would take out the part about blatantly lying.
  • PaulH
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulH polycounter lvl 7
    Hey all, I thought this got lost to the internet sands of time.

Thanks very much for the advice and positive feedback, I will make some more adjustments. I've already sent it to a few companies in its current state, hopefully they weren't put off!

Cheers!
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I think you've got a pretty good portfolio going. Nice sense of composition, colors and I like your lighting. Really nice work so far!
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Art is looking good, also nice font used

For the props I would rerender the lamp post, it looks like it is in a very
    deep void of bad gamma values
    Id maybe work on one complex hard surface asset so that you really have filled all ranges
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    the first few shots look really nice. However, my first instinct upon seeing them was that you'd gone into cry engine and scattered some pre-existing meshes around the terrain. Not saying that you did, but you might wanna put a disclaimer at the bottom clarifying exactly what you contributed to each shot.

The assassin project looks promising, but yeah, the lighting needs some work. You can barely see anything. Good start though!
  • zombiexm
    Offline / Send Message
    zombiexm polycounter lvl 3
    Like the work, but the site kinda got on my nerves to navigate.
    Maybe look into thumbnails? There is also no information on each shot, what is this image from ect.
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work, Your navigation bar is overlapping your photos though, cutting out most of the top for me.