Home Technical Talk

Changing mesh pivot point in CE3

IgnitionChemistry
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
IgnitionChemistry polycounter lvl 5
Hi all, I have a imported several mesh from maya to cryengine3 and there is a thing that has been bugging me a bit while placing the things around, the pivot point doesn't seem to be in the center of the object but casted away in a random direction, I'll show examples of my imported house and a barrel that was already in CE3, so you know what I mean.
VnC2VKB.jpg

I tried to look for previous forum entries for this but found nothing, even on google, if this was already been posted, I apologize. It's something I've been working around with some pulling and pushing of the model, but it's always handy to know how to do things right. :)

Replies

• Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    That's strange. The objects should have the same pivot point as in Maya. Can you show pictures of that as well?
  • IgnitionChemistry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I carefully centered the pivot point before exporting and importing to CE, in Maya. So I can't place the finger on what's wrong
    jtNjns8.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it setting your pivot to the world grid 0 0 0?

If you move your object to 0 0 0 and export does the pivot come out in the right spot?

I've and to do that with quite a few engines over the years. I wrote scripts that move your object, export and then move it back, because it was so annoying.

There might be some settings to force the pivot, if not you'll have to move and export, or just keep it at 0 0 0.
  • IgnitionChemistry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to reset transformations in maya, (setting the maya world grid to 0,0,0) but still no change, nope, the model still requires some skilled hands to move it around, just like the first image.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    You have to center the object's pivot at 0,0,0 and where you want it on the mesh. Make sure you delete history and freeze transformation afterwards, then export it out. I've sometimes had to recreate the cryexportnode_ and _group nodes, then export over the previous file, for it to take effect.
  • IgnitionChemistry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I've placed far too many objects to import it all over again, but I'll write that down, it's got to be it :)
  • IgnitionChemistry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, tested it a few days ago after importing more objects, the deal is that when you create two groups for your object in maya, one for CryExportNode and another for the object_Group, you have the center pivot and freeze transformations for both groups as well, sometimes the pivot point changes after grouping and I didnt even notice it. Be sure to place the object to 0,0,0 in the grid before exporting. This is for anyone who may find the same issue, here is the solution. ^