Home Technical Talk

Massive Terrain Troubles

SO started with a new project at hand and still don't know how to go about doing stuff. Im once again, as a part of Threye Inc.,working on an aviation based mobile game for the Indian Air Force.
SO thi time instead of having single seamless terrain mesh that repeats, we are to map actual land masses throughout India. Its not really bugging me at all because its fairly easy to do but when it comes to optimising these terrains for mobile, Im always stuck very badly.
SO I did some research, tried and tested some test builds (Unity3D) on android and IOS devices and have concluded the following:
1. No unity terrain objects (instead use meshes with LODs,
2. No Normal maps,
3. Bought Marmoset Skyshop for their terrain shaders but didn't work very well for the mobile platform.

SO I need some help here guys, how do i go about making a mobile optimized terrain which maps actual scale of about 25 square kilo meters. Below is a test with unity terrain and marmoset simple terrain shader. Just put in random textures for now.

TerrainIssue01.jpg

And the was the test terrain in world machine, cannot be exactly replicated for mobile... Help guys...

TerrainIssue02.jpg

Replies

• bharatnag
    I'm building a terrain for an upcoming mobile game from our studio (Threye). So this thread would be about me finding a way around to do certain things inside Grome. To start with, I plan to add in some features like Train Tunnels and rock arches in my terrain. Doing these things in a 3d package externally is a fail safe way to go about integrating them, but it would be great if I could somehow do it inside Grome, which would further allow me to take advantage of the single mesh export from Grome with LODs.
    So Is there a way to cut tunnel HOLES inside Grome?
    Also, is there a way to import meshes (such as cliff rocks, rock arches) and merge them into terrains??
    Or what is the best way to make these kind of rock arches in Grome?

Please take a look at the attached picture (Source -- Polycount.com) fto relate to what Im saying.
    Thanks.
    TerrainForumTrouble01.jpg
  • bharatnag
    OK so have started working on the terrain or the mobile game. I used the road feature to draw out the main road network. No I need smaller roads that should not be geometric roads but textures. One way is to paint the mask manually but it would take a lot of time. Any suggestions for making road textures? I tried using a shape file but i dnt know where I went wrong and nothing went into the mask. What would be the best way here to paint random road networks as textures??
    01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg
  • bharatnag
    Any feedback on texturing??