Home Dota 2

WorkShop two_larsens

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

This is what I have been working on over the last few days, and hope to upload it tomorrow - a Rubick helmet. The design was something I thought would look interesting and quirky, with lots of curves and silhouette - I hope. I have no idea if a helmet stands a chance, when not part of a set, but I'll give it a whirl anyway.

Anyway - any thoughts or feedback? I tend to sit in a vacuum here, and can stare myself blind on what I do. As for looks, then I tooled around with it till it stood out well in game and on the model stands - at least I hope. It was rather tricky getting enough contrast, and for it to stand apart from the rest of his outfit. As said, it won't be uploaded until tomorrow, after I've cast another look at it.

After this, I was going to throw myself over the Polycount challenge, and try and tackle a weapon for Elder Titan.

Thanks for any feedback.

helmet_marketing_shot.jpg

Beauty_Shot_Rubick_Helmet.jpg

Model_Stand_Shots_4Squares.jpg

In-Game_Shot_1.jpg

In-Game_Shot_2.jpg

Henrik Larsen

Replies

• vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    The eyes should be greener imo. Like the stock mask's green eyes. :)
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    The only suggestion I have is to make the colors more similar to the ones on Rubick. Like vertical said, make the green greener, and also the gold. I recommend using the original textures and masks for his default items to get a nice feel of the hues, etc.

Apart from that, the mask itself looks great!
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the evilness of the mask reminds me the evil Dr. Gene Splicer in Tiny Toon adventure :)
    ya colour is kind of dull for me.

also combine all your older submission wip/progress into 1 thread will be better so i can stalk you in 1 thread :)
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys. I'll beef up the colors - more glow and bright green - more gold, and see how that looks. It does, for some reason look more rich in game - vs the marketing shots - which is strange, as the textures are the same.

I haven't seen Tiny Toons. I'm almost afraid to do that now... :)
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    if u look at his base shoulder and see the level of contrast from the gold details to the purple base color. this is what u need for ur helm. contrast is ur friend :)
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, next item up, which is rather in a different vein - a little more sinister, as Lifestealer is. As it was, I was working on another item, when the idea popped into my head for this one - a cowl, through which the 'inner beast' is piercing through. It was tricky for me, since I am not an animator, but had to hunker down and figure out how to get it to work through all the different animations - laying down, staying with the right parts, and folding in a realistic manner. A lot of his animations are really extreme, with the spine curving from a human-like pose to that of an outright animal. Anyhoot, if someone would like to vote for or against, then by all means, and it is appreciated.

Thanks,

Henrik

cowl_marketing_shot-1.jpg

cowl_beauty_Shot_small.jpg

cowl_model_stand_4x4.jpg
  • t1mu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t1mu polycounter lvl 8
    nice job but i think you should remove the eye patch.
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, next up was a revision of the Rubick mask which needed some tweaks. Anyway, I basically had to redo it from scratch, to narrow it down and give it a more interesting silhouette. I am thinking it'll be posted on Tuesday.

Anyway, I tried hard to come up with something different and quirky, and something that fits his twitchy avatar, and also slightly different colors that what normally is associated with a Rubick helmet. So, instead it was golds for a main outline, and dark purple for contrast, as per his cape and shoulder piece.

Thanks for any feedback.

Marketing_Shot_V1.jpg

Beauty_Shot_V1.jpg

MSS_4x4_1.jpg

In-Game_3.jpg

In-Game_Big_1.jpg