Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Ewing

Hey Polycount!

Alright, so after a few random threads with various blender questions, it's time to start a proper Sketchbook and start contributing.

I started 3d modeling and learning via the Polycount tutorials and other free resources in May of '13 (about 7 months ago).

The dream is to work at Blizzard as a prop or environment artist for WoW (very original I know.....), so any feedback on art style/direction/etc. would be awesome!

Thanks for being such a bad ass community!

RocKS_grass_1_zps7e3d2eb1.png

Crates_zps85a69684.png

Stump_zpscf5cbcba.png

camp_axe_zpscadb049f.png

plank_shield_zpsf7a24ca3.png

Replies

• Chris Krüger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start Ewing :) The hand painted look is coming along nicely. I think you should work a bit more on the material definitions. For example the metal textures could use stronger highlights. Wood could use more color variations. Try with red and especially green.
  • Yoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
    I really like the texture/pattern you did on the tree stump. My two cents is that it is very obvious that it is mirrored, maybe try to hide it or place the seam at an angle maybe. I agree with Kruger's comment about the wood coloring. Great job on keeping the Tri count low!
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After really focusing on low poly/hand painted textures, I decided to start learning to sculpt in mudbox to expand my workflow.

I opened it up for the first time tonight. Here's my first couple models just getting my feet wet and trying to work through the tutorials I can find.

T-Rex_zpsdcca3a46.png
    Troll_zps484bf9ce.png
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALSO, I entered my first polycount contest, and won 7th. Pretty honored to have placed with such an amazing community of artist. It was humbling, and really pushed me to expand my skills.

All feedback welcome!

For anyone who didn't see the contest page, it is a mini golf hole that will be featured at Havok's GDC booth along with the other 8 winners.

Temple of the Verdant Tempest
    Ewing

Final_infospot_zpsdd0533d2.png

Final_superclose_zps03976bfb.png

Wireframe_zpsf7b801c6.png

assets_zpseb2f83bc.png

texture_zps735b263a.png

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OFhbbatfiA"]Temple of the Verdant Tempest - YouTube[/ame]

Build Thread