Home General Discussion

Adobe Generator for PS CC ...

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
Hopefully this isnt a repost, didnt see anything. This is nice...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TRz-gNdQFg"]Using Adobe Generator - YouTube[/ame]

not sure how I missed this one

Replies

• fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Wow, pretty easy to see how usefull this could be to us!

"I'll call this folder, 'diffuse.tga24'..."
  • nullfed
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    I just had a go with it. 2 layer groups, one for diffuse, one for spec. It doesn't seem to work with anything that you wouldn't output with the save for web dialog - jpg, png and gif only. Shame because that would be really cool :)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    some of the guys at work use this for ui, its pretty cool if you are working with a fairly neat or well finished psd. Also looks handy when using this to export to after effects.
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    yup, Im sitting here making icons... super handy
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I posted about this when it became available a while back. looks handy for sure, ill have to see for myself when I get CC soon.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    nullfed wrote: »
    I just had a go with it. 2 layer groups, one for diffuse, one for spec. It doesn't seem to work with anything that you wouldn't output with the save for web dialog - jpg, png and gif only. Shame because that would be really cool :)

Oh... so no TGA/TIFF. Welp.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Aww wahh no TGA... These guys are missing out on a market here. Even so still extremely useful. Nice find.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125680

This thread mentions a way to add TGA support, but in the link it says it requires a bit more to save as 24 or 32 bit.
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    The groups mask can be used as an alpha for 32 bit png files.

It also seems to break for me as i was finding it really useful on the minigolf comp till photoshop got confused and then generate just stopped :c
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    It is great, but there are some pretty major drawbacks with the vanilla implementation, that you could hack and fix if you have the skills, but by default causes many problems.

Adding TGA is very simple once you figure out where the files are. I went through the process of installing and running a nodejs server before realizing that you just need to edit preinstalled Generator plugins in:

Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Required\Plug-Ins\Generator\assets.generate\

Thankfully the Adobe staff was able to help shed light on it!

When Generator saves the files, it does not use your document size, but it uses the existence of pixels on the layers. Meaning, if you have parts of an image extending outside the pixel bounds of the image, Generator will save a file based on the size of the pixels in the largest layer (similar to smart objects). This works in the opposite way as well, where having pixels that don't reach the document bounds will save a smaller image than the image size you're working with. Unless you're a habitual cropper, this can be problematic for maintaining proper file sizes!

It VASTLY improves PNG w/ alpha file saving, by doing proper pixel stretching instead of Photoshop's default method of assuming transparency is White.

also, as mentioned in the thread on Adobe's site, Generator doesn't know what to do with Adjustment layers, at all. It doesn't respect their position in groups, and only their order in the layer list. I use a lot of adjustment layers while working, and this unfortunately blocks me completely from being able to use it, and just stick to qsave :)
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Thanks a lot, this is gold.

Theres nothing more frustrating than saving out your stuff as UI artist, atleast from my perspective (god I hate it) and this is a gamechanger. Slice tool is just not half as convenient

It VASTLY improves PNG w/ alpha file saving, by doing proper pixel stretching instead of Photoshop's default method of assuming transparency is White.

That needs to be heard. Amazing