Home Technical Talk

Photoshop Brush needs to be more opaque.

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
I made a brush that has the values I like but once I start using it, the values are quickly destroyed because they immediately blend.

What I want is for the brush to stop blending values immediately or to reduce the intensity of it.

I have my opacity and flow set to 100% and nothing else is checked in the brush presets. I also tried a layer trick but it doesn't work (i.e, setting the layer opacity to 50% only nulls the purpose of the brush). Also changing the mode (ex:multiply,burn etc) doesn't work. Pencil tool doesn't retain the values (it's just a solid square).

il5rTX7CJqjuR.png
The left is the original brush, the right is the heavy blending I don't want.

Replies

• Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Try going into the brush settings and either under Texture playing with the blending mode (e.g. mode to Hard Mix and 5% depth) and/or adding a dual brush.

I'm not 100% sure of the effect you're trying to get, but this will give a paintbrush style effect like these:

JCu84xb.png
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    You know when you copy and paste an image, the image "stacks" on top instead of merging or blending with a picture?
    ibzSWo5jeFQsWm.png

That's exactly what I want (although I would make further modifications later). Right now, I want photoshop to stop treating the brush like it's suppose to get darker every time I make brush strokes or paint over it.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Well if you're using a graphic that has 50% opacity it's the same as setting your brush settings to 50% opacity and it will always stack.
  • lysaara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara polycounter lvl 9
    Do you think you could try using a regular hard brush and then applying your texture with a Pattern Fill layer effect? I don't know of any way to get the effect you want using regular brush settings.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Rather than making a brush, maybe do "edit>define pattern" and then just use "edit>fill" and use that pattern to fill the selected area?
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    You could also just change the color you are painting the brush with. Make the color you paint with the grey value you want and darken the brush so that it is nearer to full opacity.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    lysaara wrote: »
    Do you think you could try using a regular hard brush and then applying your texture with a Pattern Fill layer effect? I don't know of any way to get the effect you want using regular brush settings.
    MeintevdS wrote: »
    Rather than making a brush, maybe do "edit>define pattern" and then just use "edit>fill" and use that pattern to fill the selected area?

This is better but, the steps I would want to do after would require too much work.

I wanted to manually paint in value scales with the premade brush that I can make brighter/lighter on the fly (photoshop allows for this). The one obstacle ruining the whole process is once I make a stroke, photoshop sullies the whole thing by making it black rather than just leaving the brush alone.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lay down your image, then instead of using a brush... make a selection, activate the marquee tool (m), hold Ctrl and Alt, and left-drag the selection. Each drag equals a new image, and its all in the same layer. Not as nice as a brush, but closer to what you want.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Lay down your image, then instead of using a brush... make a selection, activate the marquee tool (m), hold Ctrl and Alt, and left-drag the selection. Each drag equals a new image, and its all in the same layer. Not as nice as a brush, but closer to what you want.
    Alright, I just tried it out and it works. Thanks!