Home Technical Talk

Texturing software question.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
pointcache polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys, im in search for texturing app that will make me a happy artist.
The perfect example of what i want is PainttoolSai with it's magnificent color blend and perfect brushes.
I never saw anything like that anywhere, and i wonder where to find it.
The thing here is that i need it to be 3d.
I tried zbrush but texturing brushes (for hand painted texturing which requires effects like color blending to look good) are reaaaally bloody awful. No color bleed, nothing, just barebone straight up only photoreal workflow.
Mari is too expensive lol (anyone here works there? wouldnt be it smarter to sell it cheaper and get 3 times more customers for example?), and i saw a speed texturing in blender [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrApuPOayoU"]Hand-painted textures in Blender - YouTube[/ame]
and it is close to what i would expect from my dream software, but im struggling for 3 days not being able to lauch that programm. Im serious i don't know who is coding that failure put it crashes on start.

Im searching for the feel of Sai in a 3d texturing app, with great brushes.
(missing unicorn reward for one who finds) small chance somebody will know
what im looking for, but still.

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Mari is absolutely fantastic because its brush system is basically the same as photoshop, even to the point where you can import your PS brushes. Its the best out there by far, but yes it is insanely expensive to get for personal use.

Maybe check out 3D Coat or Mudbox? 3D Coat has layers setup exactly like photoshop and you can even bounce the file back and forth between 3D coat and photoshop if you would like. Mudbox is kind of weird but is much better to paint textures in than zbrush is.
  • pointcache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gave them all a try and i haven't found that "thing" i need with more organic color blending.
    Im currently looking into bodypaint3d as ive read it has a "smudge" brush mod that acts like color blending. Anyway thanks for advice!
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    pointcache wrote: »
    Im searching for the feel of Sai in a 3d texturing app, with great brushes.

Can you tell us what exactly you are looking for?
    If you need custom brushes, I believe both Mudbox and 3dcoat allow you create them easily.
    Edit: If you are looking for smudge brush... it doesn't look like professional tool for me, and in fact I have almost never seen people doing good work using this brush often (personal opinion of course). Good here in there, but as just additional instrument that might be useful, but can easily live without it.

What I can say about software (only talking about painting, not sculpting):
    - I have tried Zbrush and didn't like it because of per-vertex painting.
    - I have also tried Mudbox. While it has nice interface and it is very easy to pick up for a person who works with Autodesk products for a long time, at the same time it has a lot of problems. It might be my PC with old video card, but I've encountered many problems that make painting workflow painful.
    - Long ago I played a little with Mari. The software is huge and powerful, but is pretty much useless for gamedev work. Well, it may be good for real deal next-get stuff, but... Imagine you went to subway and instead of using your smartphone to play Angry Birds, you brought with you your desktop PC with huge battery to power it. Well, thats like Mari feels.
    - And I have tried 3dcoat and fell in love with it. It is so easy to work there, it feels very natural and comfy. Layers work as expected (while in Mudbox I had layers like hard-light and it looked different from Photoshop hard-light layer (facepalm goes here)). I'd strongly recommend sticking with 3dcoat, it is by far the best app for 3d painting I've seen. It doesn't really have good marketing strategy and visually app itself doesn't look like something top notch, but don't let it confuse you - this beast is awesome.
  • pointcache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 wrote: »
    Can you tell us what exactly you are looking for?
    If you need custom brushes, I believe both Mudbox and 3dcoat allow you create them easily.

What I can say about software (only talking about painting, not sculpting):
    - I have tried Zbrush and didn't like it because of per-vertex painting.
    - I have also tried Mudbox. While it has nice interface and it is very easy to pick up for a person who works with Autodesk products for a long time, at the same time it has a lot of problems. It might be my PC with old video card, but I've encountered many problems that make painting workflow painful.
    - Long ago I played a little with Mari. The software is huge and powerful, but is pretty much useless for gamedev work. Well, it may be good for real deal next-get stuff, but... Imagine you went to subway and instead of using your smartphone to play Angry Birds, you brought with you your desktop PC with huge battery to power it. Well, thats like Mari feels.
    - And I have tried 3dcoat and fell in love with it. It is so easy to work there, it feels very natural and comfy. Layers work as expected (while in Mudbox I had layers like hard-light and it looked different from Photoshop hard-light layer (facepalm goes here)). I'd strongly recommend sticking with 3dcoat, it is by far the best app for 3d painting I've seen. It doesn't really have good marketing strategy and visually app itself doesn't look like something top notch, but don't let it confuse you - this beast is awesome.

Thanks for reply, what i exactly search was written in first post.