Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DarkWatch Rifle - PBR Materials

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Mis-Fire polycounter lvl 3
Hi All,

I've been dabbling with some PBR materials, trying to work out the correct values for aged wood, metal, leather etc. I've checked out the awesome Cerberus freebie from Andrew Maximov, but where he's used a metalness map I've gone down the spec map route instead.

It's been weird not putting my detail in the diffuse, instead concentrating on the spec and gloss/roughness, but hey it's the future right?!?.

Anywho I've done a fair bit of fudging to get it to look right, but I'm not quite sure if that's the right approach. If anyone has any feedback I'd love to hear it if you have the time.

TwmjVo8.jpg
SjX4JUo.jpg
P0wZZHD.jpg
O0ELh7m.jpg
NCdS2VD.jpg
eVTsLiQ.jpg

Replies

• shiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just starting PBR, so thank you for showing up your textures as well as the model. Nice to see texture work for this new approach on a very well executed piece. Helped a lot as well as being a nice eye candy to took at. :)

Oh and what was the reason to give your wood dark blue specular colour? Shouldn't non-metallic materials have their spec values done in a grey scale?

Was it as easy to do as advertised?:)
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Shiro, It's far from perfect, but I've learned a fair bit about PBR. From what I've read about coloured spec maps and non metallic materials (dialectric's) you need to neutralize your hues in order to get the correct spec/reflection. It seemed to provide the right result, but I'm not 100% sure it's correct.

I'm sure you know how to do this already but I found the quickest way was to add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer in PS and wack the hue slider to the far right. This will then set your spec to the neutral colour of your albedo

Some great reading material here:

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory
    https://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/materials

Hope that helps. Good luck with your RX8 :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    too much baked lighting in your diffuse map, also the metal and non metal values in the diffuse are almost opposite what they should be, the wood needs to be brighter and the metal less bright. right now (without seeing toolbag) it looks like you've made your maps and are using the sliders to achieve your result when really you should set everything to 1 and work on the textures.
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback almight_gir. Your right I have used some lighting info in my albedo, which I've been led to believe isn't necessarily a bad thing, it really depends what kind of AO setup your engine uses. I believe SSAO isn't accurate enough to produce realistic results so adding some lighting to your albedo can correct this. Is there somewhere specific you would suggest reducing it?

I've got my sliders set to 1, and have been tweaking the maps to achieve the aged look. I've tweaked the values quite a bit, but perhaps I've managed to fudge the result by eye rather than use the correct values. I'll take another look at them.
  • shiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mis-Fire, that should get me going :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it differs from studio to studio, sure. but you can put an AO map into toolbag (where i assume you're rendering from right now) and have control over it that way. it's better to keep the diffuse "clean" from lighting info, and use ao/cavity maps in their own pass.
  • kimmokaunela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Nice looking model!

There are couple of things that I would maybe do differently.

1. When you are using specular maps in PBR you want to use very dark colors on metal parts in your albedo map. Metals will reflect almost all the energy so doing this will keep the metal feel alive. Metalness maps are much easier to do and I would recommend to try those out when doing models like this. When using metalness map you need to add metal reflectance colors that you would use in your specular map to albedo map. It´s much faster to do just a black and white map to tell what areas are metal and what not.

2. Right now I think there are too much information in your specular map. I would hide all the baked AO and use basically just a simple colors and not doing any scratshes unless there really need to do that example painted metal where paint has worn off in some areas. Also your wood has a blue tint in the specular map so I would try to stick with the right values. A good way to pick right ones is to use some chart that can be found online.

3. Your gloss map is looking good and has pretty much the same information that you have in your specular map so I would erase details from there and keep them in gloss map. You don´t need colors here.

4. Basically you don´t need to add any baked information into your maps when using PBR because those will conflict with the lighting in engine but real-time SSAO is indeed a very inaccurate way to do this. I usually add a very slight baked AO into my alpedo. AO is basically just a way to fake the places where light rays will not bounce so much. If your scene is very bright this will mean that there will be more light rays that bounces around so AO should be almost invisible on some cases. If you have a very strong baked AO then it would not be physical based anymore.
  • Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird polycounter lvl 5
    Really nice work, the wood texture especially is looking great.

Care to share some of your Marm2 settings? Sky Preset/Extra Lights/Sharpness/Bloom?
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback almighty_gir. Yes I'm using toolbag, but I found the AO and Cavity contribution to be much harsher than adding it to my maps. But I probably fudged the results by eye rather than staying true to PBR rules.

I'm going to have a play with my maps and remove the lighting to see what kind of result I can get. I'll post my results soon (hopefully).

Hey kimmokaunela, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to go back over my maps and see what I can do based on yours and almighty_gir's feedback.

Perhaps you can clear something up for me though, regarding my wood spec. I read that if I'm using a coloured spec map I would need to neutralize my non conductive materials by using their opposite colours, in this case the odd blue tinted wood. This is meant to give me a correct spec (being white). Is this the case or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Hey Pegbird, thanks for the kind words. I'll certainly post my settings, once I've finished my maps :)
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Mis-Fire wrote: »
    Perhaps you can clear something up for me though, regarding my wood spec. I read that if I'm using a coloured spec map I would need to neutralize my non conductive materials by using their opposite colours, in this case the odd blue tinted wood. This is meant to give me a correct spec (being white). Is this the case or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

In a PBR setting, no you don't need to do that. Your spec texture should be the color you want the reflections to be.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to increase the shininess on the wood where it will get worn, primarily the pistol grip and the fore grip.

The specular color for wood (and other non-metallic materials) should be the complement of the material's diffuse color. So, yes, it should be bluish for your wood. Metallic materials, on the other hand, should have a color similar to the diffuse color.

You could add some grime around the raised pieces, most notably the cross on the stock.

Unless it's a critical part of the design, I'd take a serious look at both the fore sight and the cross hairs; as they are they'd cover up a considerable amount of the target. There's a reason iron sights are simple and cross hairs are literally hair-thin.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I dont think that the need for inverse colours in the specular map to produce a white reflective colour in dialectic materials is needed anymore, your spec/reflectance map should just be greyscale in TB2 if you chose to try the metalness map workflow.

Gun is looking pretty awesome though, just needs some map changes as outlined above for a pure PBR asset
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I was under the impression that the inverse-colour spec map thing has been no longer so relevant for a while. I've always just kept non-metals mostly gray-scale, and it never looks too bad.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    seth. wrote: »
    I dont think that the need for inverse colours in the specular map to produce a white reflective colour in dialectic materials is needed anymore, your spec/reflectance map should just be greyscale in TB2 if you chose to try the metalness map workflow.

Gun is looking pretty awesome though, just needs some map changes as outlined above for a pure PBR asset

if you choose metalness, anything non-metallic will default to a dark grey value by default.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ahh yeah I remember reading about that last night now...good point Gir
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for clearing up the non conductive colour spec thing.

Finally got some time to implement your feedback so I've stripped out the AO + Cavity contribution from my Albedo and Spec. And as a result had to tweak some of the values to retain what I think are the right mats. So here's my maps - before on the top, after on the bottom.

X5KoGuc.jpg

I've also done a before and after render:

bx1Jwzu.jpg
    XRUKBLI.jpg

It seems to look more lively than it did before but it's fairly subtle, so I not sure if I've done it right or I got lucky fudging my results before, if anyone has any feedback I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    The new wood definitely looks better without the blue spec, even if it is subtle. Nice work!
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for your feedback DWalker.
    DWalker wrote: »
    You might want to increase the shininess on the wood where it will get worn, primarily the pistol grip and the fore grip.

This was something I toiled over, my thoughts were that the wooden stock underwent a oil & wax process whilst it's being made which makes it shiny, then as that wears off you'd be left with base wood being less shiny. But then I got thinking about the natural oils from your hands.... [Feedback loop of madness]. So not really sure ;)

You could add some grime around the raised pieces, most notably the cross on the stock.

When I get some time I will give that a go, thanks.
    Unless it's a critical part of the design, I'd take a serious look at both the fore sight and the cross hairs; as they are they'd cover up a considerable amount of the target. There's a reason iron sights are simple and cross hairs are literally hair-thin.

I know what your saying, in reality this would be a useless gun, except for clubbing people with, but the design is based on the DarkWatch Rifle concept:

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww341/HellMark7/IMG_0004.jpg

I liked the quirkyness, and was originally going to do a hand painted piece, but then I got sidetracked by this PBR stuff and decided I'd give that a go :)
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks billymcguffin, yeah your right it was probably the most obvious change, I think I just had it in my head it needed to be blue...
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird wrote: »
    Care to share some of your Marm2 settings? Sky Preset/Extra Lights/Sharpness/Bloom?

Hey Pegbird, here's the setup I'm using:

vnpx8vG.jpg

The three spots are all using roughly the same settings.
  • walklikethis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally i think it looked better before, more pop and crunch to it. Doesn't matter what your maps look like, it is the final result that counts.
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey walklikethis, there's certainly some elements I prefer in the original, and I'm sure I can get it all to pop eventually. But in the case of my maps I'm trying to make it follow the rules of PBR, which should allow my model to look consistent with any lighting setup. Where as my other version would likely need tweaking for different lighting models.

Still learning though and it defo needs tweaking.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You really, really shouldn't be using a diffuse/albedo that is that dark.
    Also please name your maps when you show them, it's very hard to tell what you're doing and trying to do without knowing what maps they are supposed to be.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Xoliul wrote: »

How, then, do you get convincing metal? I find that my diffuse has to be that dark, or else I get too much diffuse contribution, and it feels lifeless. How else would one approach it?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I think he's talking about the wood, but overall it is very dark.

The fact the lights are set to >6 (ie. 600% brightness increase on the textures) is an indicator.
  • Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird polycounter lvl 5
    Thankyou for sharing your M2 setup. Is there any advantage to spotlights vs point lights in this scenario?

I too have found myself cranking up the brightness and it was leading me to wonder if I was doing something fundamentally wrong.

In my opinion the old maps looked better though, especially the wood.
  • John_B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John_B polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Matt, This is looking awesome. I was reading up on PBR myself last week and definitely want to try the techniques out soon. Might have to tap you up for some tips :p
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Xoliul, thanks for your feedback.

Do you mean in general the entire Albedo is too dark or are you referring to a specific section?

I've been using a few refs for my mats, but this one is a good guide:

http://www.marmoset.co/wp-content/uploads/materialref01.png

I've then tried to gauge what values age, and wear would contribute.
    Also please name your maps when you show them, it's very hard to tell what you're doing and trying to do without knowing what maps they are supposed to be.

Yup my bad! I'll get some labels on them asap.
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks John_B, I'd certainly be happy to help out. I will say though that I'm only just starting out with this myself and there's some folks on here that are waaaaay more qualified. ;)
  • John_B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John_B polycounter lvl 11
    Cheers, just need to decide what kinda asset i want to try it with. Will be following this for sure though.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Mis-Fire wrote: »
    Hi Xoliul, thanks for your feedback.

Do you mean in general the entire Albedo is too dark or are you referring to a specific section?

I've been using a few refs for my mats, but this one is a good guide:

http://www.marmoset.co/wp-content/uploads/materialref01.png

I've then tried to gauge what values age, and wear would contribute.

Yup my bad! I'll get some labels on them asap.

there's a wood material on there that demonstrates pretty much exactly what we're saying (in fact all of the materials do). notice how, with the exception of coal) all of the albedo values are fairly light on non-metallics, and how their reflectivity is incredibly low. also notice how the opposite statement is true for metallics.

What i'd suggest doing for the wooden portions of your texture, is take the value used for the wood in that reference image, and just give it a hue shift to the more orange/brown tone you're going for, so you keep the same brightness value.

this will allow you (hopefully) to turn the lights down to ~1, which is where you'd ideally want to keep them. at the moment you're having to compensate for dark albedo by cranking up the lights.
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for clarifying that for me almighty_gir. I'll have a crack at your suggestions and post my results soonish. ;)
  • almighty_gir
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    This thread has been so helpful. Looking forward to seeing the end results!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Don't mean to hijack your thread Mis-fire, thought this could be all around helpful...

almighty_gir, or whoever...

Do you know of any examples of people using pbr that are definitely doing it the "right" way? I would be interested to see actual clear cut examples of models and textures using pbr.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ BradMyers82 - Joeri Vromman is doing a great job with PBR stuff. Here is his website. He has all of his flats on there as well.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    actually that's a fantastic example: http://www.joerivromman.com/KSG.html

especially the textures, clockwise from top left: diffuse, spec, normals, gloss.
    KSG_Flats.jpg

Notice how the diffuse has almost no baked in shading, and what is baked in is still coloured rather than multiplied down. And again with the specular, it's almost entirely flat colours defining the reflectivity of the material, with the gloss map holding all of the information to really help push authenticity.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    yea, that's cool. Thanks you! His explanations are really helpful too...
    Q: What was the most difficult aspect of adapting to a PBR workflow?

A: The hardest part was piecing together information from various sources, being a single artist I did not have access to the tools and resources that many studios have, which seemed very overwhelming at first. However, once you dive in, and become more familiar with the process, it comes together quite quickly. With experience, it became apparent that the step wasn’t all that big, and that making textures for a physically based shader can be a lot faster.

Q: How do you decide which values to use for your materials?

A: The way I like to work consists of the following steps:

Gather reference for each material type/part of the object
    Start by doing a rough block in for each material type, this doesn’t have to be exact but should be close enough so that you have a good base to start tweaking from.

For each material I start with the reflectance value, these can be found in various charts online, if I can’t find a reflectance value for a certain material, I try to determine it with logical reasoning (ie, worn out rubber will be less reflective, brass is a mix of copper and zinc, etc).

Reflectance values are the easiest to start off with, and give you a good base for the other maps. For insulators, its important to keep to keep the values within the small range that non-metals typically reflect. For metals, its important to make the diffuse black first, and then find the appropriate reflectance value. After this I will assign a quick roughness value, usually by just sorting materials into 3 categories (shiny, middle or rough). Then I pick an albedo color, paying attention here to keep things consistent and not too dark. I also toggle through various skies to make sure the materials are consistent in a variety of lighting conditions. Once this initial stage is over I fall back on observation for the fine tuning these values, since every material is different, keeping in mind the concepts of PBR. At this point I like to add a basic overlay to the normal map for materials that have a strong surface variation, such as bumpy plastic.

Its important to remember that values in the reflectance map only change when there is an actual change in material.

Q: Can you share a tip for being awesome?

A: In my opinion, although certain things have gotten a bit easier (like reflectance values to pick from), it doesn’t mean you can rely solely on those. The key to getting believable materials is still observation, and being able to convincingly translate what you see into the final texture.
  • carmar4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is pretty =) ooooooo ahhhhhh
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't mean to hijack your thread Mis-fire, thought this could be all around helpful...

Hi BradMyers82 I couldn't agree more, Hijack away :poly136:
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey nice find stevston89, Joeri Vromman's work is sick.

Thanks for the breakdown almighty_gir. I'm gonna have a crack at stripping out more stuff in my spec, and tweak the values.
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dayuum, looking real nice :)

Thanks carmar4, & kaikaisushi, hopefully it will look better soon ;)
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, strapped for time tonight. I've put down some new values for the base materials but have only had time to really go at the wood and start the leather.

Also I'm only using the IBL to light the scene now and that's set to a value of 1. (Less compensation for my previous incorrect PBR maps ;) )

Appreciate any thoughts on my progress so far.

LtrdUiT.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hey Mis-Fire,

the wood is looking a lot better. It looks like you've tinted the specular for the wood a little? i'd leave it grey, personally.

since a lot of your metallic surfaces are quite rough, you could possibly put a little (not too much) back into their diffuse. Also think about the colour values for your specular, what metals are you trying to portray? gold or brass? you need to have a much more saturated colour for the most part.
  • Ezykeyal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ezykeyal polycounter lvl 5
    Hey egg!

I would really suggest you spend some time in making your roughness as detailed as you can imagine.
    Think stains, scratches, smudges, tarnish... the whole lot.

Most detail will come from the normal map and roughness information and this is where most time should be invested.
    That does not mean the albedo should be neglected of course but with just the normal and roughness and a black diffuse, you can make stuff look good already.

Although up for debate in terms of style, in a realistic setting some of these specular values are incorrect.
    From what I understand you are trying to achieve an older, tarnished metal.
    This practically means that the metal is not pure anymore thus more diffuse colouring should come through from the non-metallic tarnish that gathers over time.
    Pure metal has no diffuse and should remain black in your albedo map but the closer it gets to something non-metal, you will have more diffuse coming through.

For example, rust is not a metal anymore and should be considered a grey value of 40 between 60.
    Anything that isnt a pure metal should be a value of 40 between 60 with a few exceptions of specific materials like diamond which is 115 if I remember correctly.

Hope all is good with you at the big J!

Hayo
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks almighty_gir. Yeah I've added some colour to the spec, but it's probably too much. I'll reduce it and see how it comes out. I've yet to find an example of old wood in PBR so I'm making it up as I go.

Hey Hayo, thanks for the tips. Your right I'm trying to get an old tarnished metal look to the main body and barrel, and the scope is old tarnished copper, and the butt and cross are old silver. I like a challenge :)

Once I've got these nailed I'll be going to town on the dirt and grime.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I think it is really important to remember that the reflectance is just determining the reflective properties of the material. You shouldn't be using it control cavities and AO. Your cavity and AO maps will tone down the spec just fine if you let them. Reflectance should be a flat color unless there is some sort of change to the material. So if it is all wood then it should be a flat color. I would say for your wood to tones would work. One for the varnished areas and one where the varnish has worn away.

You are doing something similar in the gloss. The dark areas should represent where the area is getting rough and the spec is spreading out. You currently have it in the cavities of your wood which makes no sense. If anything you corners and edges would get rougher (darker on your gloss), because that is where the most wear is happening.

Also should be noted that adding color in to the spec messes with the energy conservation ( unless it is a metal). So as soon as you put a color in the spec you will get the opposite color spread across the model to conserve the total energy. I would really caution against it with PBR systems.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that seems off about this texture to me still are the metals, it looks like you're going for a very rough, cast iron type look to it, but you've got the reflectivity set up as if its chrome or something very reflective.

Cast iron, especially aged and worn as this looks to be, is probably closer to a dielectric than it is a metal in the sense of reflectivity. I think its important to think beyond "is this a metal or not" and "what type of metal is this?" not all metals behave the same, and then there are various stages of wear, oxidization that can make even a raw metal not reflect in the manner that you might think. For instance a very rusty unpainted metal is basically a dielectric in terms of reflection.

Cast iron tends to look more like this: boys%20at%20dummy%206%20%20r.jpg
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird wrote: »
    Thankyou for sharing your M2 setup. Is there any advantage to spotlights vs point lights in this scenario?.

Hi Pegbird, this is the first time I'm using M2, and PBR, IBL. So I can't really comment. Just tweaked the lights until I was happy with the shot.

Turns out though that my map extreme lighting was an bi-product of incorrect map values, so back to the drawing board for me. All good fun though :)
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback stevston89 and EarthQuake. When I get some free time I'll continue reworking my maps to be more physically accurate.

Your right EarthQuake the metal is all over the place atm but it's only placeholder, as I thought it best to get each section looking right, before moving on.

For the main body I'm thinking it more like a tarnished steel, so not quite as dark as old cast Iron.

I imagined the rifle to be someone's pride and joy so it's more like a well looked after object with natural weathering than a neglected piece.