Home Technical Talk

Real size modelling

hey guys,

last day we were looking about some artists they make real size 3D models, specially for simulation-game software like FSX, X-plane, P3D, FS9 ... and here is our question..

how they do that??

We have been seeing many people puts a picture and then model above but, where's the real size part? because in the software of course appears " real size" of course you won't model such a plane and then see it big as a car, no?

so, here i leave some pictures to see what I am intending

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1544472_757632674264971_658599769_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1510736_757632530931652_511140094_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1525281_649230678472824_1946452822_n.png

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    You can change the units in Maya (and other 3d software) to cm, feet, yards, etc.
  • Mr.Mint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its all relative.
    If you model all at 1/10 of their size it will look real.
    Same goes if you double everything's size. It starts to look of
    if you model for example the plane at 1/10th of its size and the
    airfield at twice it`s size.
    Of course its not only about the models but for example the height of the
    player`s camera and/or the relations inside the game itself if it uses physics.
  • HGC125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, changing units now,
    but how should we model it..? how can be this technique with photography be done? is there any tutorial for it?
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Work in real size Units.

Set your Units to CM

Character Height is usually approx 6ft. 6ft = 182.88cm

Model everything in accordance to this scale. You know for example, if something is "waist height" itll be 3-4 foot high.

If a rooms ceiling is 12ft or 2 people high, then work out a 2 storey building to be 24/25ft with added room for a roofing and its foundations etc = a total of 30ft...

I could go on and on :)
  • HGC125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    Work in real size Units.

Set your Units to CM

Character Height is usually approx 6ft. 6ft = 182.88cm

Model everything in accordance to this scale. You know for example, if something is "waist height" itll be 3-4 foot high.

If a rooms ceiling is 12ft or 2 people high, then work out a 2 storey building to be 24/25ft with added room for a roofing and its foundations etc = a total of 30ft...

I could go on and on :)

hmmmmmm yea but would better work on buildings, etc. modelling a plane as real as possible is not so easy... I think that would not work.. I got atracted to the photography way, any way that can be done? I saw about bluerays but bluerays are not correct :S
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    By Bluerays I think you mean blue prints.

Games do not model to Cm precision on anything really its more like an approx scale and with cars and planes, its merely finding out the size of the car and working around it.

A quick example.

I want to create a small plane, I research and find its size is 10M by 3M. I make a box to that proportion, i.e. 10M by 3M box in my scene.

I then import my blue prints and adjust them to match the scale of the box.

I then work from my blueprints as close as they can be - no blue prints are perfect and once finished I'll have a realistically sized plane.

Hope that helps.
  • Sardu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sardu polycounter lvl 5
    Just a quick note about blueprints, especially for structures and landscapes, that I learned from a previous career.

Don't depend on them 100% if the client wants something that's an exact replica. Blueprints are also called "As Builds" but in my last career we used to call them "As not-built" because there were often final changes that weren't represented in the prints.

Just something to keep in mind.
  • HGC125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    By Bluerays I think you mean blue prints.

Games do not model to Cm precision on anything really its more like an approx scale and with cars and planes, its merely finding out the size of the car and working around it.

A quick example.

I want to create a small plane, I research and find its size is 10M by 3M. I make a box to that proportion, i.e. 10M by 3M box in my scene.

I then import my blue prints and adjust them to match the scale of the box.

I then work from my blueprints as close as they can be - no blue prints are perfect and once finished I'll have a realistically sized plane.

Hope that helps.

yea blueprint, forgive my confusion lol
    totally true, they are not really perfects, but I'm focussing on perfection on a project that is not for a game.
    It absolutely helps!! thank you a lot :D