Home General Discussion

Plagiarism, findings

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
Found this while searching the net for something i created recently and came across this:

Author:
Artwork

Re-created Mobile game creation a few images down:
http://www.tornado-studios.com/game-projects.html

I contacted the author and am awaiting a response on this.

I thought we had one of these and I thought we should now a days if we don't so if you ever come across something like this i think everyone would like to know i know i would and if you can grab some names that go with the artwork just to keep a cool record..:poly136:

Interesting thread, hope we keep this around for a long time.

Replies

• oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't seem to be exactly the same. Tornado's has a normal map (or at least a baked AO from a high poly) and a different feather piece.

Maybe the client they made it for originally referenced Sephiroth's work. So they may be innocent in all this.
  • EarthQuake
    I don't see the problem here. A is clearly a 2D concept, while B is clearly a 3d model that is based on A. I think its a pretty big stretch to call this plagiarism, and I think most experienced artists here are guilty of the same thing at some point (making a model based off of someone else's concept, *gasp*).

Sure, it would be great if party B credited party A, but you have no idea what the situation is (unless the concept is yours?), party B could have commissioned party A to do the design, party B could have had difficulty contacting the original artist, etc.

These things have a tendency to snowball and turn into witch hunts, so unless you have some genuine, concrete evidence of plagiarism, please do not post random accusations.

In any case, I believe this would be a derivative work, not copyright infringement or plagiarism.
  • Memory
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    Preeeeeeeeety sure the 3d Artist has a thread for that knight here on polycount. Or someone here modelled that concept.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Ah does it really count if it's poorly done lol.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    This is unnecessary:
    I think its a pretty big stretch to call this plagiarism, and I think most experienced artists here are guilty of the same thing at some point (making a model based off of someone else's concept, *gasp*).
    It is that they probably made money, GASP off it, which is why this thread was started in the first place. When i think i'm doing something good it turns the other way it is probably just on here that this happens.

Anyway,

Well this is good to know now about A + B, so if i find any concept art that i like i can somewhat replicate it and make money? Okay.

Oh damn so this whole time I've been dodging designs and i could have been making similar designs with no worries, well at least i don't have to worry about that anymore cool. :)
    whew that is a relief now, thanks for the info gents.

---

Ha, mask true.

Mem they did model it and i don't think this was the guy that made it or posted here.

Ox at least you understand the point of the thread, yea it is not 2D but it is the same design damn near 80-90% of it probably more but i didn't sit here waiting i just reacted to the finding and didn't see credit as mentioned.

Sure they could be innocent i still informed the author they have yet to get back to me i really hope she/he they over react and say thanks because i doubt it was allowed i found it and they found it obviously so they know who did it..

Anyway i guess playing dumb will work in their favor (and most), i will take pointers if i am approached about any clone-age, *I didn't know*.

Thanks gents.
    Guess this can be closed without a further comment before i can respond so someone can be smart and i can't react so let's try to be nice if you can manage as i was trying to be with helping the author out with bringing this to his/her attention or anyone that knows him/her.

I will not be doing this again if i get this type of reaction, so you are all safe from my overreactions.. so f it
  • EarthQuake
    Calm down and try to have a little perspective here.

Lets say you are a freelance artist, you did some work based off of another artist's concept, you did the modeling work and want to show it off but didn't do the concept work.

Someone finds your model in your portfolio and starts a thread about how you stole the concept from so and so without getting confirmation or even waiting for a response.

How would you feel about that situation?

I have no idea if what you're accusing this person/company doing was legal, or ethical, or anything. We simply do not have enough information at this point to go calling for heads. I understand the general sentiment but these sort of accusations are very serious and need to be treated carefully, what with the internets propensity to mob based on inaccurate/incomplete information.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    ... Okay from that perspective i see where that might be a problem, though why wouldn't someone ask once shown the concept who made the concept, that is what i do immediately after viewing one if it is paid work.

The guy who actually posted on here from what i remember is not the creator of this and if it is, then he made some changes i never saw i even posted on that thread.

Okay and since i didn't wait for a response from the author i see that this might come off badly to that person if it was him i'll apologize but then again he was showing the concept in the thread and provided a link to the author before creating it so he was not from PC.

I just want to state for the record it burns me up to see these types of things, i won't even touch the DOTA2 market, not the really cool original stuff but the slightly alterations to designs that i am in shock no one has felt some way about that but that is another story but on about the same page as this one, which is the lack of creativity or the attempt to be creative that burns me up.

Someone does all the hard work to have someone else just say this looks nice let me just add this here change that color there and call it a day....

*breathe* okay so that is the reasoning for my posting this, if you would like you can delete this thread or have one of your buddies come by cause i no longer see a point to this cause obviously for some reason i am wrong in my thinking..

To the below no i did not and will once i get a response from the author cause that one i feel is the most important one at the moment, nothing against tornado for the moment, if i contacted them then i would look like an ass and link to an image they removed and the author sitting there wondering why i msgd him if they don't see what i was talking about.
    so i am left with that, i will once he/she decides to grant me the privilege.

P.s. i am old too from your thread post someone made.
  • EarthQuake
    There is no reason to delete or close the thread at this point, I think you're really misunderstanding what I'm saying. I don't know of anyone that is pro-plagiarism, certainly not any of the mods/admins here at polycount. We take this sort of thing very seriously, which is why I don't want to jump to any conclusions.

Please feel free to post a response from the author of the concept, and/or from the entity that you're accusing of wrong doing (I assume you have contacted them about the situation as well?).

A link to the thread that keeps getting mentioned here would be helpful as well.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Preeeeeeeeety sure the 3d Artist has a thread for that knight here on polycount. Or someone here modelled that concept.
    The guy who actually posted on here from what i remember is not the creator of this and if it is, then he made some changes i never saw i even posted on that thread.
    A link to the thread that keeps getting mentioned here would be helpful as well.

Are you guys talking about this thread? http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94188

I made that Knight way back using that concept. I just did it for my folio. Looking at their site, Tornado Studios seems to have made their version for an actual mobile game. I thought without permission from the original concept artist then that was illegal. I mean, they didn't just take a few of the design elements and work them into something new, they just followed the concept. I could be totally wrong though.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I just did it for my folio. Looking at their site, Tornado Studios seems to have made their version for an actual mobile game. I thought without permission from the original concept artist then that was illegal. I mean, they didn't just take a few of the design elements and work them into something new, they just followed the concept. I could be totally wrong though.

That was always my take on it. If you're not looking to profit directly, sure, find a nice concept and get some practice/portfolio work out of it (though, I would still consider it dishonest to not mention on the portfolio that it isn't your design).

But to see someone's design, rip it off nearly 1:1 and stick it in a game you're selling...not so cool.

That being said, it's not exactly a new thing so far as social/mobile games go, happens all the time (to the dismay of legitimate content creators everywhere). And I don't know if that's what happened here or not, don't have any real way of knowing whether the original concept creator got contacted/paid/what have you.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you guys talking about this thread? http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94188

I made that Knight way back using that concept. I just did it for my folio. Looking at their site, Tornado Studios seems to have made their version for an actual mobile game. I thought without permission from the original concept artist then that was illegal. I mean, they didn't just take a few of the design elements and work them into something new, they just followed the concept. I could be totally wrong though.

^ Thank you. :thumbup:

And yes TwoListen, they leave a lot of good information out they just said projects we've worked on. Now tornado might not even be involved but one of there artist might have said i made this use it for such and such game as a filler.

This is stagnating to say the least imagine if it was something i made and i do this much for something i had no part in... boy o boy.:poly142:
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Plagiarism sucks no matter where it's done, but in the worst case scenario where this is in fact stolen artwork, there isn't too much you can do besides just reporting it to the original creator. I can't help but think of Marty Howe when plagiarism is mentioned in the games industry. That guy tricked others into working for him for free, and he got away without any real consequences.

Ideally it'd be great to have some education about the topic. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there plagiarizing without even knowing that they are doing something wrong.