Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Model revitalisation - Elena

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
Thought I'd start a thread for this as I'm a little rusty when it comes to the realistic human modelling.
http://i.imgur.com/x6tRfaS.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/RHgphLA.jpg?1
Arms, hands and feet haven't received much love yet.

Replies

• KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    I'd say widen the hips a bit. Some women have small hips, but it's by no means the norm.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for a bit of an update.
    http://i.imgur.com/PTwPNK7.jpg?1
    Man, that previous version was all kinds of crappy.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oozing along like the proverbial snail.
    fDRdq3d.jpg?1
    VXZwvqV.jpg?1
    I'd like to keep pushing this, so throw up any crits if you've got them.

Hair and jacket are still temporary block outs.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Hey Jackablade looking pretty good. I have some suggestions on the face though. The iris is way too small and its making your eyes look way off. The eyes could use some reshaping on top of that. The brow transition to the side of the face is a bit harsh and lumpy. The nostrils are too thin and too far down. The lips feel too big and protrude out just a bit too much. One of the bigger is the lack of any cheekbone. The ears look too small. The neck could use a bit of shaping it curves too much. The jaw is too thin and dips in weirdly at the middle. The head from 3/4 looks like the jaw sticks out too much ( rotating the head will fix this).

I did a paintover to illustrate what I mean. Hope it helps.

GrUjOCH.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Stevston. Thanks for taking the time to do the paintover.

The iris thing annoyed me for ages last night. I kept looking at my references trying to work out why the eyes looked so odd.

A bunch of other handy crits there to consider too.

Cheers.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Hi Jackablade,

So one thing I always find hard about critiquing anatomy is that, after a certain level of work anyways, intention and preference and reference get to be really big variables. With poorer work than yours, its much easier to say, fix this, fix that. But approaching what you can do, it can be harder to say this or that is wrong, because I think some of the things which look off to me are easily attributable to a conscious decision by you to make things a specific way, rather than an unconscious decision resulting in an anatomic inconsistency.

So I say that because I don't want to step on toes in case something I crit was something you purposefully did for effect. For instance the length of her legs seems disproportionate to me, but some people really do have long legs.

My main crit is just that, the proportion of her legs to torso is making her torso short an compact, rather than equal with her legs. Typically it is 50/50 or very close to that from head to groin, and groin to toes.

Bringing her lower torso down should dis-compact it and even things up, but you can ignore that if you are going for someone with longer legs, just be aware that even for a person with longer legs, she is maybe in the higher percentile for that ratio.

From the front view, I also feel like her torso is very wide musculature wise, as though her core muscles extend too far wide and flat. It's hard to tell without a 3/4ths view. You have the opposite of this problem on the backside, where she has very little fat/musculature build-up above her butt, making her back look much more flat and sunken, rather than round and curvy. Even thinner girls have weight here, and a girl as muscle as this should have more developed Gletus Medius mucle. I think finding a diagram of this muscle in particular should give you what you need to better curve her back.

A main part of this is how emphasized her 'thoracolumbar fascia' (yeah I looked that one up) is. You have a deep pit on each side of it, which is too wide and makes the rest of the back seem underdeveloped.

You wont see anything specific in my paintover, sorry I am not good at them, but I did try to emphasize the bend of her calf outwards. Calf muscles on women tend to be much longer and the curve most often extends down well in towards the ankle transition. While this curve does have a slight convex nature (from the front and back), it more often tends back into a concave curve with is more dominate than the convex curve above. This is different on men, who often have harsher curves in their calves that terminate higher on the lower leg.

You will also see on my paintover (subtle sorry) that the gracilis (another one I looked up) is a much higher and more gentle curve than you have. I find this one the hardest to get right of all the curves on the female body, I have no idea why, but I think it is because how subtle this muscle is and how much the subtleness of the curve adds to the look of the thigh.

______

Like I said before though, none of this (except possibly the lower back crits) is stone, most of it is my ill-informed opinion and preference. There are many women with these really long legs and very compact, wide torsos.

This link is NSFW, it's a nude still from a movie I saw called trance, but your model reminds me of rosario dawson. She has a very wide torso and very long legs, which is proof that you can make a model that doesn't fit most people 'ideal' and yet still remain very accurate. If that is what you are going for, I would just suggest having good refs.

http://i.imgur.com/S7PtHUC.jpg

Anyways, your work is good and sorry if none of this was helpful.

IFLkDLW.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks a lot, Ysalex.
    The body's moved on a bit from there. I probably should have updated the nude shot to a more recent one, but I think all the major points you made are still valid. I do quite like the fact that she's very tall, but I'll have a mess about with it.

On a side note, I don't recommend doing a google search for gracilis. It's not a fun time.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, getting towards a better place now I think. Still a few things to address, but I think the face isn't too far off now at least.
    8CVs7Tp.jpg?1
    qtxLinx.jpg?1
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Them lips are diesel, not a bad thing just saying also are you going for an Asian / African woman mix? Cause she sort of looks like one to me.

:) Nice work, no critics just praise and questions.
    tldr.